Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Multi-Computer membership
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Multi-Computer membership (0)  
Just wanted to check something:

If I have a Caravelnet membership, is it allowed to have the user information set up such that two different machines both can log in as that user? It strikes me that this might open things up for potential copyright violation, so it's OK with me if it's not allowed, but I thought I'd check if there was something I'm missing.

(I just got the Linux version of DROD up and running on my Linux box, and am wondering if I can get in-game download going here or not, even though I already have it on my Windows machine.)

Thanks,
Josh

07-27-2006 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Multi-Computer membership (+1)  
jbluestein wrote:
If I have a Caravelnet membership, is it allowed to have the user information set up such that two different machines both can log in as that user? It strikes me that this might open things up for potential copyright violation, so it's OK with me if it's not allowed, but I thought I'd check if there was something I'm missing.
Yes, you're allowed to do that as long as you're the only user accessing the CaravelNet functions, just like with a single machine.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-27-2006 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Multi-Computer membership (0)  
mrimer wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Yes, you're allowed to do that as long as you're the only user accessing the CaravelNet functions, just like with a single machine.

So, no restrictions on what I do? I could download the Smitemaster's Selections that I'm entitled to as well?

Will the same key work for both instances of the user? If I use a new key for the Linux user do I have to update the user on Windows as well?

Thanks!
Josh

07-27-2006 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
jbluestein wrote:
Will the same key work for both instances of the user? If I use a new key for the Linux user do I have to update the user on Windows as well?
AFAIK CaravelNet keeps track of up to 2 current keys for you, so as long as you run it on only 2 machines it'll "just work" - at least it does for me at home and at work...

np: Mr. Lif - Brothaz (Mo' Mega)

07-27-2006 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
jbluestein wrote:
So, no restrictions on what I do?
Uh...I can't confirm that :)
I could download the Smitemaster's Selections that I'm entitled to as well?
Yes.
You should request a new key for use on the other machine. As Briareos mentions, we have enabled support for maintaining two keys at a time.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-27-2006 06:21 PM]
07-27-2006 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Multi-Computer membership (+1)  
jbluestein wrote:
Just wanted to check something:

(I just got the Linux version of DROD up and running on my Linux box, and am wondering if I can get in-game download going here or not, even though I already have it on my Windows machine.)

Thanks,
Josh
They way I look at all things software, copyright et al is as follows:
The software is in fact a book. A physical book at that. You're obviously welcome to read it at home, but also anywhere else (so long as you're not reading it at home at the same time (which would be hard in this case)).

As it's a book, you're entitled to lend it to anyone so long as you don't read it whilst they do (again, my example makes this difficult). You can, in fact, also give this book to someone for ever, forsaking your right to read it (unless they lend it back to you) unless you buy another copy of it.

Simple... :)
07-29-2006 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Multi-Computer membership
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes