Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spiders under brain control
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Spiders under brain control (0)  
Spiders under brain control behave exactly the same as roaches or tar babies at the moment. It occurs to me that they could make better use of their special ability.

If a spider can move towards Beethro, if it has a choice of more than one square to move to, it could, when under brain control, as a preference move to the one on which it is camouflaged. It would not always choose the camouflage squares, just when it can remain hidden, and move efficiently towards its objective. Actually, it might be more fun if spiders hold back if there is a camouflaged route to Beethro, but there are other creatures blocking the way (ie more spiders)

If Beethro is invisible and not within smell range of a brain, or otherwise inaccessible, and spiders are under brain control, they could automatically move one square to the side, to ensure they remain hidden as much as possible. The brains are aware of Beethros presence, though they do not know specifically where he is invisible, so they just set things up a little bit.
07-28-2003 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Spiders under brain control (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Spiders under brain control behave exactly the same as roaches or tar babies at the moment. It occurs to me that they could make better use of their special ability.

If a spider can move towards Beethro, if it has a choice of more than one square to move to, it could, when under brain control, as a preference move to the one on which it is camouflaged. It would not always choose the camouflage squares, just when it can remain hidden, and move efficiently towards its objective. Actually, it might be more fun if spiders hold back if there is a camouflaged route to Beethro, but there are other creatures blocking the way (ie more spiders)
A cool idea - it's got some interesting puzzle potential.

If Beethro is invisible and not within smell range of a brain, or otherwise inaccessible, and spiders are under brain control, they could automatically move one square to the side, to ensure they remain hidden as much as possible. The brains are aware of Beethros presence, though they do not know specifically where he is invisible, so they just set things up a little bit.
I don't think any monsters know of Beethro's presence after taking the invisibility potion until he steps in their smell radius. I think it would be a little inconsistent to have Brains slightly detecting Beethro if he is invisible.

07-28-2003 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Spiders under brain control (0)  
I don't think any monsters know of Beethro's presence after taking the invisibility potion until he steps in their smell radius. I think it would be a little inconsistent to have Brains slightly detecting Beethro if he is invisible.

I was thinking along the lines of the brain using a little logic. It's seen Beethro once, and he's disappeared again. Whether he's left the room, or if he's invisible, it makes sense to put the spiders where they are camouflaged.

As to the inconsistency, it would, yes, be the first sign that brains can be proactive, as well as reactive. But it is still a simple rule, the behaviour easily observed. It's not like I'm requesting that brains have the ability to set traps, amass forces before attacking, make coordinated attacks from multiple directions, defend itself, send roaches or tar babies scouting for an invisible Beethro, or anything like that ;)

If Beethro is visible, but at that time inaccessible to the spiders, there'd be no such dilemna. Move the spiders so they're hidden. If a spider is not camoflaged, but there is an empty 'camouflage' square it can reach within a defined radius (3 squares?) move it towards that square.
07-28-2003 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Spiders under brain control (0)  
This sounds like one of the better ideas yet. Not only would it induce new movement for a brained thing, it takes further advantage of the camo. I think that, instead of the brain directing the spider to the camoflage while Beethro is invisible, the spider would choose to return to the camoflaged area. I can't think of any level that anybody has created yet with spiders and invisibility. They themselves could remember that Beethro was there, and now they want to make sure he can't see them. One (at least) question though...

What if the path of camoflage would take them over a trapdoor/open yellow door? Would they hold off, so as not to be seen, or proceed, letting Beethro know "Hey! There are spiders!"?

Also, with that list of things that brains shouldn't do, should those be applied to "Super-Brains"? (Check earlier on the FR page)

Love the idea.

07-28-2003 at 01:18 PM
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: Re: Spiders under brain control (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
What if the path of camoflage would take them over a trapdoor/open yellow door? Would they hold off, so as not to be seen, or proceed, letting Beethro know "Hey! There are spiders!"?
Well, if a spider needs to reach a certain place for camouflage, it means it isn't camouflaged anyway ;)

I think that spiders should always try to camouflage when Beethro can't be detected. If brains are present, just increase the "search radius".

Regarding Super Brains, they could try to direct spiders through camouflage squares even if Beethro is visible.
07-28-2003 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spiders under brain control
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No