Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes (0)  
It's a bit like stating the obvious at first - If you rename the folder it has been put in, DROD will obviously not be able to find its data. The problem is that once the folder name changes, DROD becomes somehow corrupted as when you try to rename the path in the "DataPath.txt" file to the correct one, DROD will still not be able to find its data. If you then change both the folder and the "DataPath.txt" back to the original, DROD will still fail to find its data. The only way to solve the problem is to do a clean install and try again.

07-28-2003 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes (0)  
Another thing, perhaps related, is that DROD can never find it's data if the DROD folder is navigated to via a DOS prompt, and DROD.EXE is executed from there...
07-28-2003 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
agaricus5 wrote:
It's a bit like stating the obvious at first - If you rename the folder it has been put in, DROD will obviously not be able to find its data. The problem is that once the folder name changes, DROD becomes somehow corrupted as when you try to rename the path in the "DataPath.txt" file to the correct one, DROD will still not be able to find its data. If you then change both the folder and the "DataPath.txt" back to the original, DROD will still fail to find its data. The only way to solve the problem is to do a clean install and try again.
In general, it's a bad idea to rename the folder your app installs to unless you know it will work. I agree that it would be preferable for DROD to recover in this situation, but I don't think it should be expected to.

-Erik

07-28-2003 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Another thing, perhaps related, is that DROD can never find it's data if the DROD folder is navigated to via a DOS prompt, and DROD.EXE is executed from there...
That's surprising to me, and I may look into it later, but it's not severe enough to fix at this stage. If you can start DROD from the start menu--good enough.

-Erik

07-28-2003 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Re: Re: Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's surprising to me, and I may look into it later, but it's not severe enough to fix at this stage. If you can start DROD from the start menu--good enough.
This happened when we changed DROD to use the first command-line param (argv[0]) to determine the app path. This works okay in Irix at least, but in Windows, argv[0] will just be "drod.exe", with no path information. We should probably change it back to use Win32 specific functions in the Windows version.

Windows shortcuts have that "Start in" parameter, so using a shortcut will make argv[0] "C:\\program files\\drod\\drod.exe".

BTW, if you just use ".\\drod.exe" it will start fine in Windows.

07-28-2003 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Most likely it can be easily fixed by prepending ".\\" to argv[0] if there isn't any "\\" in it
07-28-2003 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug - Cannot Find Data If DROD's Folder Location Changes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com