Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : FR: Number of unread posts (A feature request)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
IP: Logged
icon FR: Number of unread posts (+2)  
I don't know if this is easy or not, but I would find it useful so I thought I'd mention it in case it is easy.

I'd like it if next to all the "red" topics there was a number in parentheses indicating how many new posts there are in the topic. Sometimes when I come to the forum, there are maybe five threads with unread posts in them and I think to myself "I have time for maybe three new posts, and I'll have to read the rest later." But I don't know how many new posts are in each thread. The first topic I click on may have ten new posts, which I don't have time for right now. And once I click on the topic to find out, I'm committed since that thread will now be yellow if I come back to it. So it would be nice if I could make that decision a little less blind.

Does that make any sense?

++Adam H. Peterson
07-26-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: FR: Number of unread posts (+2)  
The data was already being calculated, so this was trivial to implement. Rather than put the numbers by the red folders (looks quite ugly IMHO) I just added them to the title. So rather than "New Posts", a mouseover might show something like "24 New Posts".

08-01-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: FR: Number of unread posts (0)  
I use another forum that puts this value in red, and a smaller font, and in brackets after the number of replies - but only if the value is non-zero. You can see without hovering then!

Anyway, would you mind putting the title bit over the subject-text-link too ? That's where you more naturally hover the mouse

cheers :)

[Last edited by jamie at 08-02-2006 05:42 PM]
08-02-2006 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: FR: Number of unread posts (+2)  
Minor bug: the number of new posts will also be displayed if the thread is a submission thread. This probably shouldn't happen, since the number of posts in a submission thread isn't otherwise public.

08-02-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: FR: Number of unread posts (0)  
Watcher wrote:
Minor bug: the number of new posts will also be displayed if the thread is a submission thread. This probably shouldn't happen, since the number of posts in a submission thread isn't otherwise public.
Yeah, that should get automagically fixed when I fix the other submission topic bug... if the folder doesn't turn red, then it won't show how many unreads there are either. :)

08-03-2006 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : FR: Number of unread posts (A feature request)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com