Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Games on SpielByWeb
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Games on SpielByWeb (+1)  
Since starting this thread here, I have wondered if the Electronic Games forum was a more appropriate location for this discussion.

Well, this part of it anyway.

Here's the deal: SpielByWeb offers six different boardgames that can be played online in a PBW format. This means they're not realtime -- you hit the website, take your turn, and go off and check back again later. Email notifications are sent when it's your turn.

Games on the site range from quite easy (Hoity Toity) to brain-burning (Bus).

Seems like the sort of thing that may appeal to some folks on this forum.

In that vein, I have started up a series of games on SpielByWeb, and I'm inviting DROD folks to join me in playing them.

Rules for all games are available online, and I'm perfectly willing to have all of these be learning games. I only ask that you be relatively regular about handling turns -- doesn't have to be fast, but one person not checking the site for three weeks can be kind of a downer for the other players.

That said, here are the choices before you (choose one or all):

Bus:
Complexity: 8
Game Name: Deadly Bus of Death
Password: smitemaster
#Players: 3-4

Amun-Re:
Complexity: 6
Game Name: Deadly Pyramids of Death
#Players: 4-5

Reef Encounter:
Complexity: 7
Game Name: Deadly Reef of Death

Hoity Toity:
Complexity: 4
Game Name: Deadly Tchotchkes of Death
#Players: 5-6

Tikal:
Game Name: Deadly Ziggurat of Death

Wallenstein:
Game Name: Deadly German Province of Death
#Players: 4-5

#Players indicates the range I've set for the game -- some games allow more or fewer players, but in my experience the games play best with the numbers I've chosen.

Come join me! Or don't.

07-07-2006 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
icon Re: Games on SpielByWeb (0)  
Wow...66 views but not one taker. Is it my deodorant?

07-10-2006 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Games on SpielByWeb (+1)  
make that 66 views and 1 taker. I'm on deadly bus of death.

07-10-2006 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I've never played any of these before, and am still slogging my way through the optimisation tables of DROD.

Plus, it's your lack of deoderant.

07-10-2006 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
zex20913 wrote:
I've never played any of these before, and am still slogging my way through the optimisation tables of DROD.

Plus, it's your lack of deoderant.

I knew it!

07-10-2006 at 06:00 PM
jbluestein
Pilchard VIII wrote:
make that 66 views and 1 taker. I'm on deadly bus of death.

Cool. Here, have a mod point.

Josh, considering bribery to be OK

07-10-2006 at 06:01 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Games on SpielByWeb (+2)  
I quite like Little Golem myself in the same category. The games there are different with a mix of classic board games (Chess, Go, Reversi) and some more uncommon ones.
07-10-2006 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Alneyan wrote:
I quite like Little Golem myself in the same category. The games there are different with a mix of classic board games (Chess, Go, Reversi) and some more uncommon ones.

LittleGolem is quite good. I particularly like it for its StreetSoccer implementation.

While I quite enjoy Go, LittleGolem has two faults that make it hard to play there: no handicapping in casual games, and the fact (not really LG's fault) that a game of Go takes quite a lot of moves and the game would just stretch out.

And I was never really a Chess guy.

07-10-2006 at 09:47 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I like Reversi there, though my skill at the game seems to have been going downhill for the last few years. I find their Word Game to be pretty good and tricky, and not as luck-dependent as some of the others out there (who goes first is handled in an auction and all the letters are known in advance).
07-10-2006 at 10:06 PM
jbluestein
Alneyan wrote:
I like Reversi there, though my skill at the game seems to have been going downhill for the last few years. I find their Word Game to be pretty good and tricky, and not as luck-dependent as some of the others out there (who goes first is handled in an auction and all the letters are known in advance).

The word game is pretty fun, but they used to have a computer player that would play against you...and fast. I never really tried it against a human player.

07-11-2006 at 03:34 PM
jbluestein
I see that Pinnacle has signed on to the Amun-Re game. Need two more for that one, or one more for Bus...or more for the others.

Just sayin'.

07-11-2006 at 06:15 PM
jbluestein
Well, due to lack of interest I have terminated most of these games. The Bus and Amun-Re games each have one taker and may yet attract more (one can always hope). So they stay, at least for now.

Bus can become active with one more player.
Amun-Re can become active with two more.

Rules for both are online at the website.

If I don't get anyone to join in in another week or so, I'll probably cancel those as well.

Josh

07-19-2006 at 07:57 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, actually I'd like to join the Bus too... I don't often check this forum so only chanced on this post and think it's a great idea :)

I guess I just need to sign up and stuff, but before I do so, please let me know if it's too late. One more credential is gonna kill me ;)

I'll read up on the rules in the mean time. Playing wise, I'll be able to respond daily between 8pm-1am(ish) GMT most days (and a lot more on weekends which is probably when most of the playing gets done anyway). Hopefully that should be frequent enough.
07-25-2006 at 08:52 PM
jbluestein
Syntax wrote:
Well, actually I'd like to join the Bus too... I don't often check this forum so only chanced on this post and think it's a great idea :)

I guess I just need to sign up and stuff, but before I do so, please let me know if it's too late. One more credential is gonna kill me ;)

I'll read up on the rules in the mean time. Playing wise, I'll be able to respond daily between 8pm-1am(ish) GMT most days (and a lot more on weekends which is probably when most of the playing gets done anyway). Hopefully that should be frequent enough.

There's still time -- the game still awaits another person. So if you join, I'll start it up and we can be off.

As for playtime, don't worry about it -- the thing I enjoy about this interface is that people don't have to be online at the same time. You do your move, and the person whose turn it is next gets email telling him it's his turn.

Easy as pi.

Oh yeah...for serving my agenda of promoting boardgames, have a rank point. ;)

07-25-2006 at 09:37 PM
Syntax
Great! :) Looking forward to it... I to am an aficionado of board games. VodkaAndCoke would probably want to play too but she's going to France for a few weeks... maybe next game :)
07-25-2006 at 10:11 PM
Syntax
Hmmm... need password and seems we'll be one short again.
PM me the p/w please - I couldn't see it above (and yes, I did try "drod" ;)).
07-25-2006 at 10:24 PM
jbluestein
Syntax wrote:
Hmmm... need password and seems we'll be one short again.
PM me the p/w please - I couldn't see it above (and yes, I did try "drod" ;)).

Not to worry about being one short -- the game is set up to be startable with three or four, although I generally prefer it with three anyway. I just wanted to allow extras in case there was overwhelming interest. (*snerk*)

So once you're in (password 'smitemaster', as listed above), we'll begin!

Incidentally, Splotter is one of my favorite game design teams, although this is the only game that has been really successfully implemented online. (Andrew Marriner is working on a Roads & Boats implementation, but it's not quite ready yet.)

Josh

07-26-2006 at 02:44 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Well, I don't have a clue whats going on, but I've joined the Bus :D
07-27-2006 at 03:06 AM
jbluestein
TripleM wrote:
Well, I don't have a clue whats going on, but I've joined the Bus :D

Excellent! We'll just give Syntax a little time to join up, and we'll be off!

Josh

07-27-2006 at 02:45 PM
jbluestein
FYI: Deadly Bus of Death is now underway.

Well, sort of underway, since Pilchard VIII is apparently on vacation until August 12th. Or will be soon.

But still, it's progress.

(And, if anyone's still watching, there's an Amun-Re game waiting for two or three more players. See top message in this thread for details. Other games mentioned there have been removed, but could be reinstated if there was interest.)

07-27-2006 at 08:38 PM
Syntax
Is it ethical to join 2 games?
I'm sure it is but thought I'd check publicly.

Hmm... what an odd looking word.
07-29-2006 at 04:23 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
I never played it, but Amun-Re sounds kinda fun, though I can't see the game on the SBW list.

07-29-2006 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Syntax wrote:
Is it ethical to join 2 games?
I'm sure it is but thought I'd check publicly.

Hmm... what an odd looking word.

It is absolutely ethical -- I have at times been in ten or more games at a time.

07-31-2006 at 04:16 PM
jbluestein
BeefontheBone wrote:
I never played it, but Amun-Re sounds kinda fun, though I can't see the game on the SBW list.

Hmmm. It must have timed out. Well, in any case, I have recreated it.

If anyone is interested in any of the other games, let me know. I'm quite happy to play anything.

I generally only join games with people I 'know', because people join in and then disappear and you're stuck with a game that is never going to end. So I think it's definitely better to find a group to play a game than to just join an open game.

For the record: Hoity Toity is best with five or six players, Tikal works well with three or four, Wallenstein is best with five, Reef Encounter is best with three (but works fine with four). Amun-Re is best with five but still good with four.

Josh

07-31-2006 at 04:19 PM
jbluestein
For the record: The Amun-Re game Deadly Pyramids of Death is now up to four players. I will probably wait a few days before starting it to see if we get a fifth. (It will start automatically if one more person joins.)

In any case, I look forward to a game with Krishh, BeefOnTheBone, and Ezlo!

07-31-2006 at 07:13 PM
BeefontheBone
I think I finished my building phase there - it'd be nice if it told you how much the things you have to buy next were so you can plan it a bit. It didn't ask me to confirm like it did before; hope I've not missed something out!

08-01-2006 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
BeefontheBone wrote:
I think I finished my building phase there - it'd be nice if it told you how much the things you have to buy next were so you can plan it a bit. It didn't ask me to confirm like it did before; hope I've not missed something out!

Everything follows the same triangular cost schedule. So one power card, farmer or pyramid stone costs 1, while two of any of these cost 3, and three cost 6, four 10, five 15, and so on.

The confirmation was put in later as to many people accidentally clicked on the wrong province in the auction. They try to strike a balance between red tape and keeping you from making obvious errors. So, some confirmations, some not.

08-01-2006 at 08:43 PM
BeefontheBone
Thought I'd underspent, but then I remebered there's other bits to use it on later - don't think it'll make any difference :)

08-01-2006 at 08:58 PM
jbluestein
BeefontheBone wrote:
Thought I'd underspent, but then I remebered there's other bits to use it on later - don't think it'll make any difference :)

Yeah, well, it's a fairly robust game. There are winning strategies that involve spending all of your money as quickly as possible, and winning strategies that involve hoarding money. I haven't noticed any real mistakes yet, although people are choosing to pay more for provinces than I care to...

08-01-2006 at 09:39 PM
Syntax
I can't see the game online so presume it's started?
Unfortunately this is one of my least checked threads. If it's still open I'll join, otherwise, have a great match! :)
08-01-2006 at 10:03 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Games on SpielByWeb
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes