Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Games You Don't Need a Computer For (sacrilege?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Games You Don't Need a Computer For (+3)  
OK, I am a big DROD fan, but I was a boardgamer first.

Ranging from the old stuff (Car Wars, Titan, Illuminati) to the modern crop of so-called family strategy games such as Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc.

Anyone else out there? What are your favorites?

If you're in the Greater Boston area and you're a boardgaming fan, then you should know about Unity Games, a loosely-affiliated group of people who get together in various locations to play. Two or three times a year, they all get together in one location for an all-day game day...just 150 of our closest friends.

The next big event is on August 19th at the Sheraton Framingham. Anyone who is interested should take a look at the following URL:

http://www.unitygames.org/ugxi/ugxi.htm

PM me with questions, or just post to this thread!

07-06-2006 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Games You Don't Need a Computer For (+1)  
I'm not really that big of a board gamer, but I still play them once in a while. I play Monopoly, Life, Changqi (Chinese Chess), Xiangqi (similar to Chinese Chess, but its called Korean Chess), Chess, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, and thats about it.

Keep posting,

07-06-2006 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Games You Don't Need a Computer For (0)  
Games you don't need a computer for, eh?

I use a computer for D&D, but you don't have to.
07-06-2006 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
You might be interested in this thread.

"Oook!"
07-06-2006 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
krammer wrote:
You might be interested in this thread.

Indeed! That's the sort of stuff I'm talking about: Amun-Re, Scotland Yard, all good fun.

In this vein, I will point out a couple of my favorite websites where you can actually play these games online:

http://www.spielbyweb.com -- online versions of Hoity Toity (aka Adel Verpflichtet), Wallenstein, Tikal, Reef Encounter, Bus, and Amun-Re.

http://www.mabiweb.com -- online versions of Richelieu, Hansa and Samurai.

There are more out there, but these are the ones I like the best. Anyone up for a DRODdite game of something?

[Last edited by jbluestein at 07-06-2006 06:10 PM]
07-06-2006 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Munchkin!!!, Hackers, Robo rally and pretty much any Steve Jackson game.

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
07-06-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I might actually be able to go to this event! Are kids welcome? Will Diplomacy be played? That's the one game I will really want to play.
07-06-2006 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Cranium is a decent game to haul out when friends come over. It's like four or more games in one, and the more people play the sillier it gets. (Everyone wants to do the Sculptorade task and play with the clay!)

If you're feeling literate, Wise and Otherwise is a hoot. Lots of funny sayings come out of this game.
07-07-2006 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
If you really want to get silly - try Things. I highly recommend keeping it G-rated, but it can get quite hilarious if you don't.
07-07-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Ezlo wrote:
I might actually be able to go to this event! Are kids welcome? Will Diplomacy be played? That's the one game I will really want to play.

Kids are welcome, kids being defined as anyone old enough to actually play without being really disruptive (aka toddlers are probably not welcome, but other than that it's open). Can't speak for Diplomacy -- it's a long game and they tend to get less play. But most of the event is pickup games, so you have two options:

1) Attempt to set something up ahead of time, best bet for that would be to join the Unity Games Yahoo group and send email, saying you're coming, would like to play Diplomacy...anyone want to join?

2) Show up and try to grab interested people. (This tends to work better with the shorter games...)

Josh

07-07-2006 at 02:55 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
miketo wrote:
Cranium is a decent game to haul out when friends come over. It's like four or more games in one, and the more people play the sillier it gets. (Everyone wants to do the Sculptorade task and play with the clay!)
And along those lines, Articulate is also very good for parties...

"Oook!"
07-07-2006 at 11:04 AM
jbluestein
Crosslinking to a new thread I started in the Electronic Games forum: inviting folks to join me on SpielByWeb.

That board seemed more appropriate somehow, but I didn't want to strand y'all here.

07-07-2006 at 08:03 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Rail Baron.

A great board game in which you make railroad empires and get money for running routes.

07-07-2006 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Jason wrote:
Rail Baron.

A great board game in which you make railroad empires and get money for running routes.

I've never had the pleasure of playing Rail Baron, although I've certainly done my share of railroad games. I believe that the whole Mayfair series of crayon rails were derived from Rail Baron, and of those I've played Empire Builder, Eurorails, India Rails, and Iron Dragon. All lots of fun.

My current favorite train game is Age of Steam. A most excellent system that's adaptable to many different maps and plays in under two hours. Love it.

[Last edited by jbluestein at 07-07-2006 08:30 PM]
07-07-2006 at 08:29 PM
RavenBlack
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
See also http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ or, if you prefer a slightly friendlier introduction for english-speaking people, http://www.brettspielwelt.info/

Getting set up to play is a bit of a faff (you probably want to start with the example configuration file from brettspeilwelt.info), but once you're set up there are a lot of good games with good interfaces (and also Settlers of Catan with an atrocious near-unplayable interface).

Caylus, Puerto Rico, Halali, Ligretto, Carcassonne, Citadels, and loads of others.

[Last edited by RavenBlack at 11-13-2006 03:29 AM]
07-08-2006 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
RavenBlack wrote:
See also http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ or, if you prefer a slightly friendlier introduction for english-speaking people, http://www.brettspielwelt.info/

Getting set up to play is a bit of a faff (you probably want to start with the example configuration file from brettspeilwelt.info), but once you're set up there are a lot of good games with good interfaces (and also Settlers of Catan with an atrocious near-unplayable interface).

Caylus, Puerto Rico, Halali, Ligretto, Carcassonne, Citadels, and loads of others.

BSW is pretty fun, but it suffers (IMO) from the fact that you need to do it in realtime. If I'm on the computer, I need to be fairly interrupt-driven, so realtime games are less convenient for me.

Josh

07-08-2006 at 12:16 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Games You Don't Need a Computer For (sacrilege?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com