Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Ideas for a new Character. (Let's Jam..)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Re: Painfully Late Entry (0)  
Niccus wrote:
Well, yes, the request is gone, but I guess a breeding grounds for new idea is usually not a bad idea...

--

I can't quite figure out a name, profession, origin, or age for my idea, but:

Weapon: Sledgehammer

-Only kills by swinging

Hmmm, I'm picturing this guy (or girl!) as a Russian immigrant to the US.... works as a foreman in a construction firm. Late 30s early 40s. Possibly could have additional construction type specials that depend on wood (build barrels or something?)

Disclaimer: I haven't made it to any levels with specials yet, so I don't have alot of perspective on whats already in.

07-21-2006 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Painfully Late Entry (0)  
Niccus wrote:
Well, yes, the request is gone, but I guess a breeding grounds for new idea is usually not a bad idea...

The Oscar went to Ezlo, but you can still win the Golden Globe. Keep posting. One more mod point is available for the best idea.

-Possible nuances: Can smash monsters the same way (Imagine swinging into a roach to kill an entire row of them), maybe even killing a Fluffy (nah). For crates/barrels, maybe slides even off mud or slides to one space beyond mud, stopped by other crates, etc. Maybe toggles switches, maybe passes momentum on (too much trouble though). Projectiles done this way are are only affected by whether or not the arrow opposes it (deflection can cause nasty infinite side effects)

Cool, it can even be implemented as a new Rick Special. All the specials are being balanced for the editor, and Rick needs a new one.

There are some other possibilities to work out here -- Would water stop various flying objects? Are fluffies still fluffly when flying 100 mph? Does the splotch of the roach complement the green of the forest? Would a crate flung through a ray disassemble into a fire and catastrophically light up forests? Comments would decide, right?

Humm, yes, may be dangerous! All these reactions could cause the universe to collapse, and end up as small as a cheeseburger!
(If you haven't reached L8 forget about the Joke above).

Good Idea Niccus.

[Last edited by googa at 07-21-2006 11:14 PM]
07-21-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Irashtar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Ideas for a new Character. (0)  
Would you mind giving a list of all the current chars, for those that are only halfway through the beta, but alreay love it?

09-18-2006 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
icon Re: Ideas for a new Character. (+1)  
OK, here it goes:
Click here to view the secret text

09-19-2006 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CyberFish
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Hm, it would be cool to have a character who can use wood to create a fire or use water to put a fire out.

Nikolai's special should really be an arrow which can go through multiple enemies over a long distance, and can trigger orbs. It should probably require wood.

I like the alternate fighting style for Chen, it's a very cool idea.
09-21-2006 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
CyberFish wrote:
Hm, it would be cool to have a character who can use wood to create a fire or use water to put a fire out.

Well, the character balancing is almost finished, and you almost hit the bull's eye.

Nikolai's special should really be an arrow which can go through multiple enemies over a long distance, and can trigger orbs. It should probably require wood.

Once again, almost. :)

I like the alternate fighting style for Chen, it's a very cool idea.

It's already implemented. It's a breeze to face hordes of monsters using Jax, Nikolay, Rick and Chen's new weapons, And other heroes specials.

[Last edited by googa at 09-22-2006 02:01 AM]
09-22-2006 at 01:59 AM
googa
A new mouse over help system has been developed:
If you move the mouse over a door, arrow, bomb, etc. You'll be able to visualise which orbs affect it and how (open, close or switch).

Too much information or not? Too much mouse usage? Should the player have this information, or only the level artist? Ideas please.
11-17-2006 at 06:33 PM
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
I think this is a great feature that should be added to DROD as well. But why did you put it here?
11-17-2006 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
I didn't want to start a new thread.

Another idea: if the character bumps against a door, the system shows the orbs that affect it. Very practical.
11-17-2006 at 08:13 PM
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
Sounds good! ;)
11-17-2006 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
amb
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Ideas for a new Character. (+1)  
Mike & Kel the Siamese twins

Mike and Kel take up two squares vertically or horizontally. They rotate 90 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise, and cannot rotate through a wall. They cannot fit through tight diagonal spaces.

Special With 10 (or less) Food, the Siamese twins can split into two players - once split the gameplayer will move TWO spaces in any direction, leaving one body half on the square they split from, and one on the new square. After that, if the gameplayer makes a move both characters will make this move. This will allow the twins to move through passages they previously couldnt. If you push against a wall with one character and the other is free then that will alter the gap with the characters. If you had a set distance they could be apart eg 4 squares, then you might be able to set some interesting challenges. Especially if the characters die if they get too far apart...

..K....
..M....
Vertical 

..K....
..M....
Horizontal

..K....
...M...
After a split... 

..K....
...M...
Player presses up one after a split

Monsters will target Mike when aiming direction. This could be worked into the story and scroll texts. When split into two players, there will be no bias unless the distance from a monster is equal - in which case they will go for MIke. Apparently he tastes better.

A special twin splitter tile could also be made available where if the twins move fully onto the splitter they become two. (With Mike being the character that moves twice).

If Arrowballs try to push the twins in different directions eg:
.>M..
..K<.

It will be fatal.

12-14-2006 at 08:45 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
amb wrote:
Mike & Kel the Siamese twins

Mike and Kel take up two squares vertically or horizontally. They rotate 90 degrees clockwise or anticlockwise, and cannot rotate through a wall. They cannot fit through tight diagonal spaces.

Special With 10 (or less) Food, the Siamese twins can split into two players - once split the gameplayer will move TWO spaces in any direction, leaving one body half on the square they split from, and one on the new square. After that, if the gameplayer makes a move both characters will make this move. This will allow the twins to move through passages they previously couldnt.

The main idea is sort of interesting, but I don't like the Special very much, since it seems too similar to mimic/elemental manipulation to add much that is new.

Also, what weapons would they have? One for each twin, or would only one of them be armed? Or neither of them?

12-14-2006 at 10:07 AM
amb
Rank Points: 19
Dunno - a sword each would be okay. Or unarmed. Feel free to suggest another special. There must be somethings a double player can do - eg strong enough to move an arrow off its track... Can pull down towers...

[Last edited by amb at 12-14-2006 06:24 PM]
12-14-2006 at 06:21 PM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
I think we need another water character.

Earl, sailor

Earl move through the water, just like Berk. He can only move orizontally and vertically, and he's killed whenever touched by rafts.

Specials]
No Resources : Remove a monster from a dirt cell, the monster is supposed to be on his boat. He can transport the monster only in another dirt cell. Only a monster at time can be transported.

10 Wood : Transport a hero from a party splitter to another of the same color. Only a hero at time can be transported.

HIGH MORALE : 10 Wood and 10 Water : Earl can transport 5 monsters at time. Earl can move also diagonally and he's not killed by rafts, but instead pushed, like Berk.

06-24-2007 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Ideas for a new Character. (Let's Jam..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com