Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Captious cavils
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Captious cavils (0)  
The first time I traverse a room which has no creatures, I get a demo recorded. This is particularly useful for e.g. level 15, where there are some quite involved rooms which do not contain any creatures. Unfortunately, if the first demo is a dud (say I enter and exit a room straight away, because I want to reenter in an optimal position, or return later) it's impossible to record another demo normally. I can record one manually, but that will stop short if I use checkpoints and restore to them, or die. Plus I have to remember to do so (which only usually happens after I've completed a room)

Could the 'shall I record a demo?' code be somehow made a little smarter, for rooms which contain no creatures? e.g. start recording when entering, and if the number of moves exceeds a certain number (100?) or something is triggered (e.g. a red door) which opens an exit, then save a demo. Conditions would have to be fairly restrictive, to prevent many more demos being recorded than the player wants, but still keep the potentially useful ones. Perhaps there could be a third demo recording option in the settings, with conditions along these lines?

Could manually recorded demos be fixed to partially survive past checkpoint uses?

When restoring to a checkpoint (which does work better now) it seems to be the only checkpoint that 'counts' in a room. If previous checkpoints have been visited as part of the same play-through, could those be used as well, even after restoring? If a checkpoint has been reused later on, and there's a gap in the 'chain' back to the room start, that checkpoint would be skipped (and possibly used seperately as part of a second 'chain' of restore points)

Also, early on in beta testing, I was having a moan about Beethros constant laughing after he's completed a room, and Mike said this would be fixed. Was a decision made not to do so?
07-25-2003 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Captious cavils
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com