Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Viweing demos before solving room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Viweing demos before solving room (0)  
This is probably an isolated case due to the 2 player scenario which we're running but I'm able to view VaC's demos (and her, mine) before having completed the room. This seems to be an unfair advantage.
06-20-2006 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Viweing demos before solving room (0)  
You can always view local demos. It's just highscore demos on the server that you can't download until you've conquered a room.

06-20-2006 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, you can view them because they're stored locally, right? You can't actually download them. Everyone can see other people's demos if they happen to have them locally (which is how people can post demos for hint purposes); the restriction is you can't download them off caravelnet without solving the room.

06-20-2006 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Right, I get that. But should I be able to is the question? They may be local but they're not mine...
06-20-2006 at 03:01 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Right, I get that. But should I be able to is the question? They may be local but they're not mine...
Well, if it weren't like that you couldn't watch an imported demo that you got from the H&S board either...

How should the game distinguish between demos from other players on your computer and demos from other players downloaded from the forum?

Even better, what if VaC posted a demo for you in H&S (as unlikely as that may be) - if you weren't allowed to watch demos from other profiles in the same installation of DROD you couldn't watch it either... :)

06-20-2006 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: Viweing demos before solving room (+1)  
Briareos wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Well, if it weren't like that you couldn't watch an imported demo that you got from the H&S board either...

How should the game distinguish between demos from other players on your computer and demos from other players downloaded from the forum?

Even better, what if VaC posted a demo for you in H&S (as unlikely as that may be) - if you weren't allowed to watch demos from other profiles in the same installation of DROD you couldn't watch it either... :)
Very good point. Guess the solution would be to enforce multi-player setups to actually have to download demos by other local players. In that way, I could still watch VaC's demos, but I'd need to "download" them as they don't match my username.

That would also help reflect her true downlaod stat as per the misc tab.

And yes, I do watch her demos quite often. For someone with only 4 months DROD experience, she has a lot of #1s... [grumble]...And she's nicked a lot of mine too!...[/grumble] :)
06-20-2006 at 04:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Viweing demos before solving room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No