Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Globule
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon The Globule (0)  
This monster was inspired by a chemistry experiment I saw recently - mix Polyethenol and Sodium Tetraborate solution (Borax) together, give it a few stirs, and... :D

The globule is an odd creature, made up of a fairly strong, but flexible outer shell, containing two "membranes"; one filled with a clear, but viscous substance that resembles a certain type of polymer in feel and properties, but which contains most of the monster's living material as well, and the other, a much smaller one, contains a chemical that the monster uses to repair leaks with, as it makes its contents congeal when added to them. This monster likes to live down in the deeper and less well kept areas of dungeons, seeking out damp and waterlogged areas to stop it drying out.

This monster has intelligence like a roach and can move in all directions, and so will try to make a beeline attack for Beethro. However, due to the nature of the substances inside it, it cannot move very easily as its contents slosh around inside it, causing it to lose its balance if it moves too fast. This means it needs to take one move to rotate 45 degrees, and will rotate until it is facing Beethro's direction before chasing after him. The Globule, because of this, will also need to be facing Beethro before it can attack him, so he can use it as a temporary shield for a short while. What makes the globule so deadly though, is its ability to survive being stabbed. When it is cut or stabbed, it's contents break off into three "fragments" like the splitter monster and will settle 2 squares from the square they came from. The way the fragments spread out will depend on how it has been killed.
If it has been killed by stepping, one fragment will move in the same direction as Beethro, and the other two will move in directions at 45 degrees to the first. Example - if Beethro steps north, one fragment travels north, one north-west and one north-east, or if Beethro steps south-east, one fragment travels south-east, one south and one east.
If it has been killed by swinging, one fragment will move in the same direction as the way the sword is pointing after the swing, and the other two in directions at 45 degrees to the first. Example - If Beethro faces west, and rotates clockwise to face north-west, one fragment travels north-west, one travels north, and the other travels west.
The Globule fragments will be harmless for a short while, but also invulnerable to Beethro's sword, and not affected by any other monsters. However, the Globule will try to repair itself, releasing the special chemical it contains, making the contents re-congeal and forming a new shell. After 30 moves, the globule fragments repair themselves and turn into Globules again, that will also split when they are cut. Therefore, the danger is the Globule's ability to multiply quickly if it is cut, which may cause too many monsters to be formed for Beethro to be able to destroy. This means that he needs to cut it in such a way that the fragments hit or fall into the few obstacles that can destroy them - pits, walls, orbs, doors or tar, for they splatter when they hit such things. If the Globule fragments hit other monsters or potions, they destroy them instantly and take over the square, and if they grow when a monster is on top, they will also destroy it. If a globule fragment lands on top of another, the original remains, and the new one gets destroyed.

I think that's everything...

Tell me if you have any questions.

07-22-2003 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: The Globule (0)  
How do you think up such bizarre monsters? :D

In a word - cool. I can see plenty of puzzles where the only way to kill a swarm of roaches is to send globule fragments into them which have to then be somehow smashed into the walls...

Yeah, nice. We need some more monsters which can't be killed just by stabbing. Thumbs up from me.

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Perhaps you can push the fragments with your sword? Otherwise I don't see how you're going to survive killing it if you're in the open.

Matt

07-22-2003 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
very complex. but seems to be great.

07-22-2003 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: The Globule (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Perhaps you can push the fragments with your sword? Otherwise I don't see how you're going to survive killing it if you're in the open.

Matt
Hmm, that's an interesting idea - you can push the congealing matter with your sword by stepping or swinging, but you can step over it if you don't want to.

07-22-2003 at 01:22 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Hmm...very cool. Very well thought out too. But...how about instead of the fragments destroying the monsters, they destroy the monsters and are destroyed themselves as well. This would add efficiency (level 17 fans) and a bit less fretting. Simply a suggestion.

07-22-2003 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Globule
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com