Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Global Move Counter
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon Global Move Counter (+1)  
Okay, I know this request has been on once but didn't get much attention. We really need some (optional) counter that tells you how many moves passed since you entered the room. And I don't mean a fancy-shmancy clock with a zillion features, just a modest inconspicuous counter in a far corner.

And the main reason is, when I replay a demo it's mostly for competitive comparison, what really is checked is where my demo was better or worse than the other guy's (at any given point in the demo). When a clock is on, it helps somewhat, but without a clock the only way is to actually count the moves (and don't forget there are "wait" moves).

Is a tiny counter thingy too much to ask?

05-17-2006 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Global Move Counter (0)  
Well, you can always press ENTER to see how you're doing, but I agree that it's less convenient than an on-screen display.

05-17-2006 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
However, pressing enter while watching a demo does the same thing as any other key press - it stops playback.

Maurog wrote:
And the main reason is, when I replay a demo it's mostly for competitive comparison ...

I've had the same problem on occasion - wanted to know the current move of a demo I was watching but was unable to.

05-17-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Oh yeah. I'm not sure why I thought you could do that. Sorry.

05-17-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
A little counter would be neat.
05-17-2006 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Why? Surely that would only allow cheating? I watch demos to appreciate the logical elegance... and for that I don't need a counter.
05-17-2006 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
How would making it easier to see what move the demo playback is on allow cheating? If you want to copy a demo move for move, you're going to do it anyways. And besides, I don't think said counter would even make that easier to do so.

05-17-2006 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Global Move Counter (+2)  
DROD TCB will include a toggleable demo playback move counter by pressing F7 while watching demos.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-17-2006 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Global Move Counter (+1)  
You know, I just saw this in the "Confirmed TCB features" thread, and I don't know if people realize this, but it's been added to 2.0.15 (or maybe even 2.0.14).

09-21-2006 at 12:42 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh, very nice. I had no idea that was there.
09-21-2006 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
eytanz wrote:
You know, I just saw this in the "Confirmed TCB features" thread, and I don't know if people realize this, but it's been added to 2.0.15 (or maybe even 2.0.14).

Awesome! It must have been around for a while - I'm still on 2.0.13 and I've got it. Although it's including double placement moves - I don't know if that's been updated since. :/
09-23-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
Wait - I'm running the bleeding edge version (i.e. 2.0.15rev.10) but there's not movement counter when playing back demos - or did you mean something else? :huh

np: Yoko Kanno - Spotter (Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST Be Human)

09-23-2006 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Push f7 while a demo is playing. If you're stepping through it, you may need to advance a move to get it to show.

It's a yellow number in the upper left corner.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-23-2006 05:04 PM]
09-23-2006 at 05:02 PM
Briareos
Rabscuttle wrote:
Push f7 while a demo is playing. If you're stepping through it, you may need to advance a move to get it to show.
Eeek... totally missed that F7 bit...

It's a yellow number in the upper left corner.
Now you see it now you don't... thanks. :)

But wouldn't a smaller font have been sufficient? Or having the counter above the playing area, where the room name is? If you take one of the veeery long rooms (60k+ moves), it's gonna obscure up to 2x4 tiles... ;)

np: DJ Shadow - Changeling (Transmission 1) (Endtroducing Deluxe Edition (Disc 1))

09-23-2006 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Remind me--is there a plan to add the same kind of counter to gameplay? (It'd be quite handy when optimizing to not have to hit 'enter' periodically.)
09-23-2006 at 06:24 PM
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
Remind me--is there a plan to add the same kind of counter to gameplay? (It'd be quite handy when optimizing to not have to hit 'enter' periodically.)
No plan, but I've spontaneously added it. Now hit F7 while playing to toggle the persistent move counter display.

As an added bonus, you may hit Alt-F7 to view your in-game framerate. :thumbsup

This is in 2.0.15 rev14.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-09-2007 07:05 PM]
01-09-2007 at 07:03 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
mrimer wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
No plan, but I've spontaneously added it. Now hit F7 while playing to toggle the persistent move counter display.

This is in 2.0.15 rev14.
Nice :D .
Just one question. What is that number next to the framerate?(or is the space between the two numbers meant to be a .?)
01-10-2007 at 05:42 AM
mrimer
NiroZ wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

This is in 2.0.15 rev14.
Nice :D .
Just one question. What is that number next to the framerate?(or is the space between the two numbers meant to be a .?)
Sorry I didn't mention that here. That is the amount of memory being used by the sound library (FMOD) for all the sound and music resources. Probably nobody cares about seeing that, but at least it shows you about how much less RAM you'd use if you started DROD with the "nosound" option.

01-10-2007 at 05:53 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
mrimer wrote:
]Sorry I didn't mention that here. That is the amount of memory being used by the sound library (FMOD) for all the sound and music resources. Probably nobody cares about seeing that, but at least it shows you about how much less RAM you'd use if you started DROD with the "nosound" option.
so in other words, I would save 12888333 somethings of ram if I was to disable sound.
01-10-2007 at 05:59 AM
Kevin_P86
12.3 MB isn't unreasonable, I think.

01-10-2007 at 07:23 AM
mrimer
Yeah, it's always been about 12MB. In fact, it was possibly even more before 2.0, when we were still using wav files instead of ogg for sound effects. Also, note that framerate is generally capped at ~72 fps. This is done to avoid burning the CPU at 100% when the game is just sitting there. Or even when it's not sitting there.

01-10-2007 at 03:53 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
mrimer wrote:
Also, note that framerate is generally capped at ~72 fps. This is done to avoid burning the CPU at 100% when the game is just sitting there.
Hmm. On my computer, when DROD is at the main menu screen, it uses about 67% CPU, as opposed to ~1.3% when idle in gameplay. Is that just because the sliding map takes so much redrawing? (Also, both of those numbers are halved when the window loses focus, maybe because the music stops playing.)
01-11-2007 at 03:02 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
schep wrote:(Also, both of those numbers are halved when the window loses focus, maybe because the music stops playing.)

Actually, it's because DROD slows the framerate down when it loses focus. And it should drop to about a tenth that when minimized.
01-11-2007 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
schep wrote:
Hmm. On my computer, when DROD is at the main menu screen, it uses about 67% CPU, as opposed to ~1.3% when idle in gameplay. Is that just because the sliding map takes so much redrawing?
I'd say so, yes - but most of this time is probably spent waiting for vsync.
(Also, both of those numbers are halved when the window loses focus, maybe because the music stops playing.)
I think the game just doesn't update the map as often as it does when the window has focus - I guess there's some amount of time the game sleeps between map updates that gets increased if the window doesn't have focus.

EDIT: Ummm... like coppro said... :)

That's just my impressions; I didn't actually look at the code... :)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-11-2007 08:07 AM]
01-11-2007 at 08:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Global Move Counter
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com