Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Is there any way that it's possible to...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Is there any way that it's possible to... (0)  
...run two instances of JtRH at the same time? Many a time I'll go into the editor to try something out if I'm stuck in a room, but it'd make it much easier if I could just swap over to a different copy.

Oops! This should have gone in the General forum.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 05-15-2006 02:44 PM]
05-15-2006 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Is there any way that it's possible to... (+1)  
Hmmm... The best I can think of is to not use full screen and open JtRH and KDD simultaneously. Open the same hold and then perhaps one will be for testing, the other for playing. Natch!
Edit : Good guess, huh?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-16-2006 05:16 PM]
05-15-2006 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Is there any way that it's possible to... (0)  
bandit1200 wrote:
...run two instances of JtRH at the same time? Many a time I'll go into the editor to try something out if I'm stuck in a room, but it'd make it much easier if I could just swap over to a different copy.
The game forbids running two instances because this can be destructive to the game's data files when the two instances try to write different changes to the .dats at the same time, causing loss of progress, rooms, text, etc. As stated, you may run different DROD releases (i.e. JtRH and KDD) simultaneously.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-15-2006 04:42 PM]
05-15-2006 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
mrimer wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
The game forbids running two instances because this can be destructive to the game's data files when the two instances try to write different changes to the .dats at the same time, causing loss of progress, rooms, text, etc. As stated, you may run different DROD releases (i.e. JtRH and KDD) simultaneously.
I understand that could happen if running two instances of one installation, but would it happen if there were two completely seperate installations, as I have now. Both installations write to their own .dats

Running KDD at the same time would be of no use if I am experimenting with JtRH elements.
05-15-2006 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
bandit1200 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
I understand that could happen if running two instances of one installation, but would it happen if there were two completely seperate installations, as I have now. Both installations write to their own .dats
Yeah, that's not allowed either, just to be safe. There's no good way to distinguish between these two cases on all platforms :(
Running KDD at the same time would be of no use if I am experimenting with JtRH elements.
I'm talking about DROD:KDD, which has KDD 2.0 and uses the 2.0 engine. It can be downloaded here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-15-2006 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
mrimer wrote:
I'm talking about DROD:KDD, which has KDD 2.0 and uses the 2.0 engine. It can be downloaded here.
Ah, right, thanks, but I don't think I can justify buying KDD 2.0 just to play in the editor occasionally. I'll stick to dragging the laptop away from the wife when needed. :)

edit: Duh! You mean the demo! Well, maybe you did mean buy the full version. ;) BTW, the download page says 25 meg, my browser says 15.8 meg. Thanks again.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 05-15-2006 08:24 PM]
05-15-2006 at 07:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Is there any way that it's possible to...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com