Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Disposable Orbs
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Disposable Orbs (+1)  
That's right. You hit these orbs, they do their thing, and then they shatter into dust. One-time only!

What's that? The same effect is achievable with clever use of force arrows or trapdoors?

Not quite! For you see, you clever chaps, you, there are people besides you with pointy orb-hitting objects in this day and age.

For instance, we have Halph. Halph is a neat fellow, and he doesn't drop trapdoors.

We have Guards. Don't we all love guards? Of course we do. They don't drop trapdoors, and they got nasty swords they like to poke things with. I bet you don't want him to hit that disposable orb that opens the exit right now, cause you gotta hit an orb that closes it pretty soon here.

The Slayer, of course. He knows how these orbs work, but he's never been good at conserving his resources. So if hitting those disposable orbs is gonna get him closer to you, well, he's gonna do it, by golly. Even if that screws up your or his plans but good.

There's an orb in your path, in a one-square wide corridor. If you hit it, it will open up a flood of roaches behind you, but it'll be out of your way so you can continue.

Even more irritating orb mazes! (please don't)

05-14-2006 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Disposable Orbs (0)  
And, following the "there's nothing new under the sun" tradition, I present:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=238

[Last edited by eytanz at 05-14-2006 06:16 PM]
05-14-2006 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
That was 2003, when other things didn't have swords, and we didn't have Halph. These are factors which..change a heck of a lot.
05-14-2006 at 06:13 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh, don't think there's anything wrong with posting a suggestion that's similar or identical to another suggestion, at least not if the other suggestion is more than a couple of months old. But it's still valuable to link to the old discussion since people's opinions made a couple of years ago or whenever are probably still valid. In this case, some things changed, but many others stayed the same.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that this is a pretty good idea, especially with Halph/Guards/Slayers being around to hit the orbs, as you point out.

05-14-2006 at 06:17 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Disposable Orbs (+1)  
Ah, okay. I thought I was getting the 'gg on repost nub' speech.
05-14-2006 at 06:32 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
This would actually be very awesome and frightningly easy to implement. I think.

At any rate, I would like to see this. It would definitely be awesome.
05-14-2006 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
What would the graphics be? A yellow orb with a crack in it?
05-15-2006 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Maybe even translucent/transparent (ie glass).
05-15-2006 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
I think a translucent glass orb would be better--easier to tell it's goign to shatter when you smash it.
05-15-2006 at 04:33 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Hang on... isn't a disposable orb just a normal orb which doesn't toggle?
05-15-2006 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Perhaps - unless there's other orbs in the room that also affect the doors which this non-toggling orb affects.

For example, if there are two orbs in the room, one of which opens a given door and the other closes the same door, that is in effect the equivalent of one orb which toggles that door (assuming you can get to both).

Also, a "disposable orb" would dissappear once hit, freeing its space, whereas a regular orb which simply opens or closes a door remains once hit.

05-15-2006 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I like the idea. The only trouble is how to indicate what they'll do. The lightning would be too distracting. Maybe, when you get within 3 tiles of it, or something, all the doors that it will alter are shaded, or glow or something. The orb would glow too, so you knew which one was being indicated.

Maybe it could even be that one orb glows green when you're near it, along with any doors it'll change. A second orb, if there were multiple close together, would glow red, along with any doors it alters.

But then what about when both orbs change one door, and how do you tell if the door will go up, down or toggle?

Thinking about it, just using undo would be easier. :wacko
05-20-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Or just clicking on them like you can do now with ordinary orbs. :)
05-20-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Wow, I never realised you could do that. Thanks!
05-20-2006 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Disposable Orbs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com