Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : monster: tar blob
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon monster: tar blob (0)  
Well, this monster behaves a bit more intelligent, like roaches with a brain and can enter a Tar field in round 1 and leave it anywhere in round 2. They could get from here to there in no time.

07-21-2003 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: monster: tar blob (0)  
Questions: (I always have them ;) )

1. What is the size of this creature? (I'm assuming 1X1 because of the roach reference.)
2. (for a coder) would this be tough?
3. What are some options for the appearance on-screen?

Also, I'm wondering what would happen if a tar blob got near tar, and Beethro was carving a passage. More questions!

4. Does "anywhere" include on top of Beethro or his sword?
5. What would it behave like if there was a brain in the room?
6. Does the tar "field" have to be connected for it to move? (I assume yes)

Furthermore, for terminology things: I believe most people are considering a "round", if anything, as 30 "turns". I think your "round" is the "turn" to which I refer. Just to get everyone on the same page.

07-21-2003 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noman
Hey Man my nerves. My brain's already shut down. it's 11:45PM my time!!

But i try:

1: 1x1
2: tougher than a roach but easier than a goblin
3: light blue blob?
4: hey man i said intelligent, do roaches run into beethro's blade
5: thats a good question( thy could slightly work together ) but thats very hard to program
6:of course yes

and yes i mean a turn

[Edited by noman on 07-21-2003 at 08:44 PM]

07-21-2003 at 09:43 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Hmm...numbers 1 and 4 came from about the same situation. Beethro is moving straight through tar. At some point, the blob contacts the tar. Would it go behind Beethro? Would it go directly onto Beethro? etc. #1 was a way to prevent an immediate death from afar. If it was 2X2, then it could not enter a passageway that Beethro carved straight. #4 was to prevent immediate death altogether. If it could land directly on (or even behind, for that matter) Beethro, it would add frustration without too much possibility for level design. I asked #2, because what if, say, Beethro is separated from the tar by a yellow door. What happens if a tar blob touches the tar? It might be random, and Random+DROD=bad.

Sorry about the time thing...you can always come back later with a clear head though.

07-21-2003 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noman
oh, i see

if beethro is seperated from the tar by a door, then there is no need for the tar blob to enter the tar. Secondly to prevent guesswork a tarblob cannot stay in a tar field. if it enters it must leave next turn, if it can't it dies. And to prevent frustration: let's say it can only exit a tar field three fields away from beethro(minimum).

thats my last word on that topic today, bye all.

07-21-2003 at 10:03 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I posted this for someone else's suggestion recently, but you shouldn't have monsters that act like they are under brains by default. The reason for that is - what does this add? All it means is that they act the same if there's a brain in the room or not. In other words - this limits the monster, not strengtens it. It also makes the game harder to learn, because it becomes inconsistent.

It's best to have monsters respond normally to brains. That way, if you want to make a room with this monster that would become too difficult if they moved under brain control, just don't add a brain. Want to make them smarter? Add a brain.

I understand that monsters that are smart by default seem cooler, and there is a natural tendency by people to make this sort of suggestion. But it's a bad idea.

---

Note that the above is a general point, not specific to this suggestion. I think this monster is an interesting idea but I'm not sure it really adds much to the game - what really could you do with it that you can't do by just placing a roach somewhere near you to begin with?

07-22-2003 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
you're right. monsters aren't better if they are much harder by default.

that's my problem anyway

07-22-2003 at 08:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : monster: tar blob
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes