Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster: disturber
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Monster: disturber (0)  
It stayes still in a room, like the brain, but it makes beethro blind, so he can only see monsters in a defined range. The disturber is always visible.
another option: It could make beethro see monsters only every third round.

07-21-2003 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Monster: disturber (0)  
Nasty. It's just like spiders.

Except that we'd have goblins and snakes to add to the mix. A blind snake room would be very interesting indeed.

A brain/snake/blind room would be murder. Let's add this, oh let's do.

Matt

07-21-2003 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noman
Oh, what a shit, i hardly kill serpents now(even if there isn't a brain in the room) I just completed lvl10 today

07-21-2003 at 07:18 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
If you don't like snakes, then you'll love level 12...

But that's irrelevant. Back on topic...

So, in effect, it's like all the monsters have drunk an invisibility potion. Tricky. In fact, unless well designed, probably impossible...

And worse than spiders - at least you can see them occasionally, rather than suddenly when they're a few squares behind you.

[Edited by krammer on 07-21-2003 at 08:23 PM]

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
My preference is the invisibility potion method, as opposed to the flickering invisibility.

Would all other things but monsters remain visible? I.E. Walls, orbs, crumblies, etc.

How about living tar? (Coding fun, along with the snake's body, if I'm right)

Request for addition to the monster, whether flickering inv. or not...Upon entry to the room, all is seen. Then the disturber takes effect with Beethro's first move other than entry in.

07-21-2003 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Definitely. Otherwise it is purely guesswork, and random is bad.

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
There should be a lightning bolt that strikes Beethro when the invisibility happens, so that the players knows what just occurred. (Or something to that effect.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-21-2003 at 10:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Actually, I kind of like this monster...I was thinking, how does it do this to Beethro? Here's my take on it: the "disturber" is telepathic but blind, and it "sees" by using the other creatures in the room. Because they can see Beethro, it can infer his position, and it can find him to enter his mind. But all it can do is alter his vision so that the other creatures are invisible, and it can see through his eyes as well.

Now, what happens if Beethro picks up an invisibility potion? Well, that would be pretty damn confusing! It can see out of Beethro's eyes (because it has access to his unmodified vision) and all the creatures are where they are supposed to be, but this doesn't match up with what the creatures see! And if some creatures are within the invisibilty radius, then it gets two conflicting sets of information. Thus causing it to explode instantly! Yeah!

Okay, maybe not. Perhaps the creatures go to the last spot that Beethro was at until he comes near them. And what if Beethro drinks a mimic potion? Obviously the creatures know who the real Beethro is, but maybe the disturber is too smart for its own good and also sees the mimic as a threat?

There could be some interesting possibilities once everything is rationalized out.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-21-2003 at 10:58 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Monster: disturber (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Okay, maybe not. Perhaps the creatures go to the last spot that Beethro was at until he comes near them. And what if Beethro drinks a mimic potion? Obviously the creatures know who the real Beethro is, but maybe the disturber is too smart for its own good and also sees the mimic as a threat?
Game on,
I think it should ignore mimics, just to keep it consistent.

07-21-2003 at 11:00 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Yes, definitely ignore mimics. Ah! A solution to your conundrum. Yes, the telepathy could be correct, BUT the disturber can not control anything but sight, and then it can ONLY make things/people blind. It can't make them see better. Therefore, even though it knows what the creature sees, and where/what Beethro sees, it can't force the creature to move anywhere. So, really, in a room with a disturber, an invisibility potion just negates its effect (until another one is taken.)

07-21-2003 at 11:20 PM
Mister
In my opinion, it should start affecting Beethro not when entering the room, but after his first move.
07-23-2003 at 03:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster: disturber
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No