Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New monster: Scared animal.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon New monster: Scared animal. (0)  
This is probably the weirdest monster I've come up with yet.

This monster is, as named, scared. It will not attack, it will not retreat, in fact, it won't do much of anything. UNLESS! The only way that this monster will move is if it can "see" Beethro's back. Fortunately for programmers, this monster has tunnel vision, and it must be on a direct line to see it. So, if the sword is facing away from it, it will attack. Otherwise, it will not move a square.

In small numbers, it would not be much of a threat, save for some puzzles that take advantage of the movement of the monster. In large numbers, however, it can immediately bring joy, frustration, and a new thought pattern to players. The monsters can not move through obstacles, and they will only move towards Beethro when they do move. Discussion? Questions? Silly looks?

07-20-2003 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: New monster: Scared animal. (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
This is probably the weirdest monster I've come up with yet.
A little observation - Isn't that statement a little too boastful?

This monster is, as named, scared. It will not attack, it will not retreat, in fact, it won't do much of anything. UNLESS! The only way that this monster will move is if it can "see" Beethro's back. Fortunately for programmers, this monster has tunnel vision, and it must be on a direct line to see it. So, if the sword is facing away from it, it will attack. Otherwise, it will not move a square.
Err... Can it turn then? If the monster is unable to turn, and only reacts when Beethro's back is turned to it, and he is in it's line of sight, then there are very limited opportunities for it to attack.

In small numbers, it would not be much of a threat, save for some puzzles that take advantage of the movement of the monster. In large numbers, however, it can immediately bring joy, frustration, and a new thought pattern to players. The monsters can not move through obstacles, and they will only move towards Beethro when they do move. Discussion? Questions? Silly looks?
At the moment, it looks as if this monster has too few opportunities to do any attacking. I agree that there will be some interesting puzzles generated by it, but I think that after a while, they'll run out of originality because they will be mostly confined to spaces or areas where Beethro's back may turn, and the player needs to avoid this, or in places where Beethro must keep his back turned to stop monsters coming through.

07-20-2003 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Re: New monster: Scared animal. (0)  
I suppose you're right about the turning thing....I guess that it would turn so it would be facing the area nearest Beethro. Or maybe we could give it a sixth sense, and make it have one orientation, spider-like. Maybe the statement was boastful....but I thought it was the silliest thing I've come up with. I meant silly weird not original weird. I agree about the limited puzzle opportunity, but it could throw in a decision of a player whether to kill by step or swing. I think it's always good to make the thought patterns change, while keeping them overall the same.

07-20-2003 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: New monster: Scared animal. (0)  
Eyes do much the same.

Basically, although we have a number of different monsters, it all breaks down into three things:

1) What can the monster do to kill Beethro on it's own?
2) What can the monster do in groups to kill Beethro?
3) How can Beethro use the monster's "AI" to his own advantage?

When you look at those three, you see each monster has a definite niche, with a minor change when you add brains.

Eyes do essentially the same thing your "scared monster" would do, but all the time, instead of sometimes. The challenge factor of the eyes would therefore be greater, while proper "herding techniques" would be essentially the same with eyes as with scaredy cats.
07-21-2003 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New monster: Scared animal.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com