Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lost Temple (You're an archaeologist exploring the Lost Temple.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (18 votes)
σ 0.89
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Lost Temple
Theme:You're an archaeologist exploring the Lost Temple.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:29
Number of Monsters:138
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Lost Temple.hold (17.3 KB)
Downloaded 1827 times.
License: Other
icon Lost Temple  
Fill the shoes of archaeologist Larry Walkins in his journey to find the Lost Temple of Matsumi and learn the secrets hidden inside. The Temple holds a treasure of information about the Sumi people. You must travel over the Andes mountains and through a dense Peruvian jungle before you'll encounter your greatest conquest yet..

The Lost Temple of Matsumi.

Thanks to testers michthro and Stefan.
04-14-2006 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Lost Temple (0)  
Great. A second Larrymurk hold where I can't get past the first level because I don't understand serpent movement.
04-15-2006 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Larrymurk holds tend to be 'there is an exacting series of moves required to beat the room, figure out what they are'. So don't feel too bad, I can't even do the first room.
04-15-2006 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I don't like the half-random entrance rooms in the Temple levels, but otherwise this has been pretty good so far.
Tahnan wrote:
Great. A second Larrymurk hold where I can't get past the first level because I don't understand serpent movement.
Maybe this helps... The exact serpent rules are these:

- If it has a straight line to you, it moves forward. (Even if you're directly behind it)
- Otherwise, it checks horisontal/vertical movement preference according to the spawn clock. (Changes every 5 turns when unbrained, and every turn when brained) It still keeps moving towards you. Check the exact numbers somewhere or use a serpent-clock. (Use search to find one)
- If the tile where a serpent would move next is blocked, it checks the surrounding tiles in this order, and moves to that direction instead: N>E>S>W.

Just use the Hints&Solutions board if you need actual hints for that room - There's a little more to it than careful manipulation.
04-15-2006 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, I just solved Level 2, and I can say that 1N is just downright nasty... :D

np: Reinhard Voigt - Ready For Take Off (Kompakt Total 6 (Disc 1))

04-15-2006 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Doom wrote:
I don't like the half-random entrance rooms in the Temple levels

Actually, there is what I'd consider a strategy to the entrance rooms although they can be defeated other ways.

The strategy?

Click here to view the secret text

04-15-2006 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
larrymurk wrote:
Doom wrote:
I don't like the half-random entrance rooms in the Temple levels

Actually, there is what I'd consider a strategy to the entrance rooms although they can be defeated other ways.

The strategy?

04-15-2006 at 03:01 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I managed the first two rooms, which is about par for the course for me when playing Larry's holds. Even though I know snake movement, I still can only kill the NE one in the third room.
04-15-2006 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
bandit1200 wrote:
I managed the first two rooms, which is about par for the course for me when playing Larry's holds. Even though I know snake movement, I still can only kill the NE one in the third room.

Bandit,

Do you mean the SE snake?

04-15-2006 at 04:48 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Doom wrote:
Maybe this helps... The exact serpent rules are these:

- If it has a straight line to you, it moves forward. (Even if you're directly behind it)
- Otherwise, it checks horisontal/vertical movement preference according to the spawn clock. (Changes every 5 turns when unbrained, and every turn when brained) It still keeps moving towards you.

Which only goes so far: if it moves "toward you", then why would it be the case that going into the SW area of 1N1E without killing the E snake results in the E snake heading due north and making little circles up there? To say nothing of what I was finding by going to the NE before killing the SE snake.
04-15-2006 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Just my bad wording... Sorry.

I'll try to be more clear with pictures.

1           2
........   .........
...s....   .........
...s....   ...s.....
...S....   ...sS....
########   #########
Let's assume that Beethro is to the southwest from this serpent. When the serpent is moving horisontally, it wants to move to left, and when it's moving vertically, it tries to move down.

Now, let's suppose that it's time for vertical movement in position #1. The serpent wants to move down to get closer to Beethro, but the tile is blocked by a wall. So it checks the tile to N (blocked by itself), tile to E (clear), and moves to the position #2.

In #2, it doesn't matter if it's vertical or horisontal phase - The serpent will move north anyway. Tiles at S and W are both blocked, so it'll start again checking N-E-S-W. (Doing those little circles you were wondering about)

Is there still something that's not clear?
04-15-2006 at 06:27 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
You forgot that it will attempt to turn toward Beethto if they're in a straight line, not necessarily go forward. However, it will go straight if Beethro is either ahed or behind them.
04-15-2006 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
larrymurk wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Bandit,

I meant both the SE and W snakes, but the one that is likely to end up with me wanting a new keyboard is the west one. I can lead it around in circles near the "trap" all I want, but can't get the snake in. If I try to get to the NW, the snake always comes back to the top, nor can I get behind the snake to give it a push because of it's length, or lack of it. No doubt something you thought about when designing the room. :) I also tried guiding it in from the SE section, but it was another abject failure.

edit: Never mind, I went back and got it immediately.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 04-15-2006 06:40 PM]
04-15-2006 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
bandit1200 wrote:
larrymurk wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

Bandit,

I meant both the SE and W snakes, but the one that is likely to end up with me wanting a new keyboard is the west one. I can lead it around in circles near the "trap" all I want, but can't get the snake in. If I try to get to the NW, the snake always comes back to the top, nor can I get behind the snake to give it a push because of it's length, or lack of it. No doubt something you thought about when designing the room. :) I also tried guiding it in from the SE section, but it was another abject failure.
This should probably be on the other board, but...

04-15-2006 at 06:41 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Doom - I'm stuck in the same place, and the problem isn't figuring out what you said in the secret tag (which I know), but rather:

04-15-2006 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I don't like the half-random entrance rooms in the Temple levels, but otherwise this has been pretty good so far.

Your holds are half-chance. So are everybody else's.

Also: Still have no clue how to beat first room.
04-16-2006 at 03:27 AM
Doom
Banjooie wrote:
Could you maybe elaborate? I'm don't think I get how all holds would rely on chance.
Also: Still have no clue how to beat first room.
There's a hint topic here.
04-16-2006 at 09:15 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Doom wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Could you maybe elaborate? I'm don't think I get how all holds would rely on chance.
I think I can understand what he means. I can solve most rooms by just looking at it, but other rooms really need thinking (or in Banjooie's terms: chance). Only a very few rooms needs real chance, like this one: Example chance room.

The most disturbing fact is that Banjooie needs so much luck to solve all holds... ;)

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 04-16-2006 09:40 AM]
04-16-2006 at 09:39 AM
Banjooie
icon Re: Lost Temple (+1)  

On a completely unrelated note, everyone's free to wear sunscreen.

Curse you people and your lack of knowledge on old American pop songs. I care not for your piddling excuses like 'I don't live in America.' Pish-posh, I say! Pish-posh! :(
04-16-2006 at 07:37 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Banjooie wrote:
Curse you people and your lack of knowledge on old American pop songs. I care not for your piddling excuses like 'I don't live in America.' Pish-posh, I say! Pish-posh! :(

So, is "I live in some remote corner of America" fine with you? I dunno, I could pretender to live in, say, North-Western Alaska, or the closest equivalent to Skye, or some such.
04-16-2006 at 08:12 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either -
your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.
I hate you, Banjooie, for using the only provable false fact*) in that song**) to mock me... ;)
Yes, by half chance, absolutely one of the interesting songs I've heard.

Have a mod point.

-- Tim :)

*) Note: In fact, most of the facts in the song were incorrect, but most advices in the songs are. For example, Doom's holds are not half chance, because it's not about choices, because the rules are clear. For experienced players, at least. Not sure if you fit that description though.
**) Note: From almost personal experience, wearing too much sunscreen do damage your skin.
***) I usually don't like American songs. Is it really American? I don't believe it.

[Last edited by Tim at 04-16-2006 08:36 PM]
04-16-2006 at 08:34 PM
Banjooie
To be honest, I have no clue, but it came out before the huge 'We like songs from Europe' rush the American music industry had, so I'm pretty sure that's the case. In any case, it was a cheap, cheap joke I thought of on the spot.
04-16-2006 at 09:19 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
It was American; the lyrics were from a column in the Chicago Tribune.

The followup parody, Not the Sunscreen Song, was Australian.
04-17-2006 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Ah, yes, I finally remember why that was familiar...that column sent around to people via e-mail and misattributed to Kurt Vonnegut for some reason. I never knew they made a song out of it though.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/vonnegut.htm

And I think we should stop hijacking this thread now. Especially on this forum, we should only talk about the hold in question. Take it to another thread on the Anything board if you want to continue the discussion.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 04-17-2006 03:37 AM]
04-17-2006 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, back on topic then.

I've only played 2 rooms... but geesh. Utter genius (I would have used the adjective "sheer" but that's overused).

Serioulsy though...

I mean, seriously...

Larrymurk, you are a genius.
04-17-2006 at 03:49 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Larrymurk, you are a genius.
I bet you say that to all the evil geniuses (geniusii?) to save your hide... :P

np: Mouse On Mars - Twift (Live 04)

04-17-2006 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I can only utterly agree with Syntax ;)

Great, great hold!
04-17-2006 at 04:07 PM
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
OK, I finished the hold and I want to say this is one of the most interesting and challenging holds I ever played! The story line is great. The rooms are with very good calculated difficulty. No bugs! And there is no room to complain about. There was several rooms which I wasn’t able to complete without using the Hints/solutions forum but this was mostly to get idea for the tactics. Overall, I have a lot of fun playing this hold.

04-19-2006 at 07:14 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Just finished last night as well. Another very good puzzle hold from Larry. I got a little tired of the snake entrances, but I didn't think to do what was suggested here. Otherwise, all the rooms are ingenious little puzzles with a great variety of tricks and themes.

vAmpir, if you're still confused on the secret room:

04-28-2006 at 05:04 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Urk.

I was blocked while finishing The Hunt for the Grinfidel, so switched over to another hold...something to take my mind off of things, y'know?

Churn.
Churn.
Churn.
Thrash.
Churn.
<click>Hints and Solutions...<click>
Churn.
Churn.
Thrash.
Aha!

And now that I've finished Journey to Matsumi: Entrance, I can go on to 1E.

Josh
(Churn Churn Churn)

05-01-2006 at 02:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lost Temple (You're an archaeologist exploring the Lost Temple.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com