Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Odd Jobs Expert (Beethro performs odd jobs.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (16 votes)
σ 1.36
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Odd Jobs Expert
Theme:Beethro performs odd jobs.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:17
Number of Rooms:34
Number of Monsters:104
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:8 (+8 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Odd Jobs Expert.hold (11.7 MB)
Downloaded 5124 times.
License: Other
icon Odd Jobs Expert  
Odd Jobs Expert

Beethro has exterminated every dungeon in the kingdom. He enters Sgt. Tark's Odd Job Agency in search of work. After retiring as drill seargent in the king's guard, Sgt. Tark opened his own odd jobs agency. You won't believe what jobs he has in store for Beethro.

This hold features:

Story line.
Voice acting.
Custom images.
Open play. Complete jobs in any order.
Puzzles that represent real life in look and play.
Humor guaranteed to make you laugh (or at least grin).

Credits:

Architect: Larry Murk
Voice acting: Doug and Allison Murk
Testing: Doom, Stefan, and Tim.

Special thanks to Doom who informed me that there are ways to allow multiple level holds to be solved in any order and suggested the specific method of having dual staircases that I used here.

WARNING: This hold is about 12 megabytes.
12-05-2005 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Odd Jobs Expert (0)  
Download works now. :)

Thanks Matt!

[Last edited by Tim at 12-05-2005 06:09 PM]
12-05-2005 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Odd Jobs Expert (+1)  
This now works - it doesn't need to be deleted and re-uploaded.

12-05-2005 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
So, before I download three seperate 12 MB holds - what is the relation between them? Are they different versions of the same hold? Sequels? What?

12-05-2005 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
All three versions of Odd Jobs have exactly the same story. The challenge rooms look the same but have been tweaked to make the difficulties quite different.
12-05-2005 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ah. I'd wish you'd just have made it one hold with three levels then, because then they could share media. Now if I want to play all the versions (which I do, since I'm a completionist) I have to use 36 MB.

12-05-2005 at 06:32 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
eytanz wrote:
Ah. I'd wish you'd just have made it one hold with three levels then, because then they could share media. Now if I want to play all the versions (which I do, since I'm a completionist) I have to use 36 MB.
They only would have been able to share the image floors, which are tiny compared to the speech (which can't be shared). This issue came up during beta testing of the holds.

12-05-2005 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Oh, good point. Maybe that can be fixed for 3.0?

12-05-2005 at 06:39 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mike also mentioned on the beta board that this issue will be fixed in 3.0, so you can share sound files within a hold and lower the file size.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 12-05-2005 06:41 PM]
12-05-2005 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
Only on level two so far but already I can tell that this is going to be another brilliant hold on a par with perfection. :thumbsup

How do you manage to produce such great holds, I'm envious :P

12-05-2005 at 07:17 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You should use the Hints and Solutions forum, please. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-08-2005 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oneiromancer wrote:
You should use the Hints and Solutions forum, please. :)

True, of course; but I can understand being in a position of such frustration and befuddlement that you just have to post anywhere you can. It wouldn't surprise me to see requests for hints showing up on the SubTerra board, or perhaps over on the not-pr0n forum...

I'm not sure, at this point, which amazes me more: the fact that I've been able to solve most of these, or the fact that Larrymurk was able to write anything so tightly constructed. Both seem like superhuman feats right now.
12-08-2005 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Just finished. Very enjoyable.

My favourite (= most frustrating) rooms were Attic, Lobster Trap and Pipe with Valve Lock
Click here to view the secret text
. The final room was enjoyable too.

My least favourite room (but in a good way) was Flower. If you make any more rooms like that, I will futilely curse your name from across the internet.

Possible bug in Apple Tree
Click here to view the secret text

Beethro's voice got on my nerves after a while, but the other voices were good.
12-10-2005 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Damn! You need to be some kind of an expert to clear out some of these rooms. It's a funny thing about DROD rooms. When you are stuck you think you hate them so much, but when you actually solve them you absolutly love them. This was the case with me and the Lobster trap. It remains to be seen if the same can be said about Attic after I've solved it (if I manage to -_- Please, please let me find the strengt of mind to complete that room!)
12-10-2005 at 12:33 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Huh?? The hold just dissapeared from highscores page, and in game it tells me that it's not connected to CaraveNet. What's happening?
12-10-2005 at 04:09 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:
Huh?? The hold just dissapeared from highscores page, and in game it tells me that it's not connected to CaraveNet. What's happening?
I guess it's been updated, as the download button stays enabled when I choose it in the list, even though it doesn't say "(UPDATED!)" next to it - but that's another bug in DROD.

AFAIK Apple tree had a bug - waiting in the entrance made 2 queens escape.

np: Headset - Previously Smooth Sophistication (Spacesettings)

12-10-2005 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
On Dec. 10, I uploaded a new version (of Odd Jobs Expert only)with a minor change to the apple tree room. I have now reset all the entance rooms to not high-scoreable.

Thanks wallu and Rabscuttle :smile
12-11-2005 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Good hold, but not as good as Perfection (as they say, its hard to improve on perfection). More of the rooms are very tedious than in Perfection. There are some very tough puzzles in here, though.

Its a shame about Beethro's voice. I had to play with the sound turned off.

12-15-2005 at 09:36 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Yeah. It was just... awful. Please warn us about stuff like that in the future.

12-16-2005 at 11:18 AM
rikyo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
When trying to import the fold I get a message that the file appears to be corrupted... I tried on 30.1.06 and 13.2.06 (downloaded afresh).

?

-- rikyo
02-16-2006 at 03:18 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I just beat this hold. Odd Jobs Novice was an early hold that I played, and Odd Jobs Medium took a little longer. This one had to wait quite a while. Some of the rooms (Scuba Diver, Flower) were still too hard for me to beat without significant help.

But it's another great hold, with excellent puzzles and a real sense of accomplishment whenever you actually beat a room.

I give it 8 brains and a 9 overall.

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 05-23-2007 06:43 PM]
05-23-2007 at 06:43 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
That's a good hold, really. I like the puzzle, and i give it 6.5 with 9 brains. :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 05-26-2007 06:13 AM]
05-26-2007 at 06:13 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Finally finished on all three difficulty levels.

Expert was awesome I must say. It fully opened potential of all rooms which were made easier on other difficulties. I can't say I loved every room but majority of them were quite fun. My favourites are Pipe with valve lock, Flower and Volcano. I also thought that Garden had a great solution, but then realised that my way is unintended. Ouch.

However, there were some rooms which didn't work very well on expert. Harmonica, Pool and Apple Tree simply had more monsters than on medium version but no additional tricks. Walk allison home and Walk zeena home seemed a bit too long for me.

Oh, and it was interesting to see how rooms changed in different difficulty levels. Sometimes even adding small detail completely changed solution.

Overall, Odd Jobs is still the most suitable-for-everyone hold, due to its three difficulties.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-20-2010 03:57 AM]
08-20-2010 at 02:00 AM
yarnexpress
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Thank you for all 3 versions. I learned a lot on the medium & surprisingly enough I never was stumped on the expert. Although, at times I needed to visit H & S just to verify that my approach to a room was workable. Skipped 2 rooms on the expert the one where the mimic is bounced off the walls & stuff & the one with the invisibility potion. Just not my favorite types of rooms. Might go back one day so can get to the finale.

I thought all 3 versions, with the above exceptions, were very enjoyable. Even the expert, although I'm anything but.

Now to find some other holds of this caliber.
05-22-2011 at 09:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Odd Jobs Expert (Beethro performs odd jobs.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com