Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The End of Halph. (Final call to use Halph in Smitemaster's Selection submissions.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The End of Halph. (+1)  
After some thought, I've decided that Halph generally shouldn't be present in Smitemaster's Selections. According to the story, Halph has never been in a dungeon before Journey to Rooted Hold. And at the end of Journey to Rooted Hold, his role changes so that he wouldn't help Beethro in any way consistent with the in-game behavior of the Halph element. So except for some too-tricky solutions, Halph is always going to off-canon.

Two people have made some really cool holds with Halph in them however, and they really deserve the full Smitemaster's treatment with story editing, recorded voices, and a delightful CD with cover illustration. So we're going to make one off-canon release for Winter that contains holds with Halph in them. This will be our way of saying goodbye to Halph. Or at least, a goodbye to the current version of the Halph game element appearing in Smitemaster's Selections.

I wouldn't even bring this stuff up except that Smitemaster's authors may be affected. If you're starting a new hold to submit for Smitemaster's, don't include Halph in it. We probably won't accept it. On the other hand, if you've already got a hold to submit for Smitemaster's with Halph rooms in it, you've got three options:

1. Forget Smitemaster's Selection and release it on the forum the normal way.

2. Take out the Halph rooms.

3. Get the hold completed, tested, and submitted no later than January 1st. We will consider it for Winter 2005 Smitemaster's Selection at that point. The other criteria for consideration in the SS FAQ also apply.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-11-2005 11:05 PM]
11-11-2005 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: The End of Halph. (+1)  
Hmm... what if there was an option in scripts to turn a character into a "door opener"? I understand that canonical accuracy is important to Caravel, but it seems a pity to lose a fabulous game element because of it.

11-12-2005 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The End of Halph. (0)  
That may happen in the future, but not for the current DROD 2.0 engine.

-Erik

11-14-2005 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The End of Halph. (Final call to use Halph in Smitemaster's Selection submissions.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com