Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0 (Exploration and story-telling)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (10 votes)
σ 2.01
Author Name:Ryan
Submitted By:RoboBob3000
Hold Name:Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0
Theme:Exploration and story-telling
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:68
Number of Monsters:515
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Ben Chisels Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns two-point-oh.hold (34.3 KB)
Downloaded 2055 times.
License: Other
icon Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0  
Here is a hastily updated version of my hold to DROD 2.0. The main purpose for this was to use 2.0's multiple entrance feature to literally cut down on half of the size of the hold. Let's face it, calling this a 30-level hold is misleading. It still looks huge at 15 levels, but I can assure you that it's not. Anyhow, if the admins have no problem removing the DROD:AE version of this hold, I'd be forever grateful.

Enjoy the hold!
-Ryan
(RoboBob3000)

***Original Post***
This hold was the winning entry in the Five-Suite Speaking Grounds contest. First and foremost, it was constructed to fit a set of ten contradicting rules, but it also demonstrates the story-telling abilities of DROD.

In the Speeking Grauns, there are no blue doors. In fact, there are no rooms that require you to vanquish all of the enemies (okay, maybe one). In the majority of rooms, you can't even get to the enemies!

This hold requires that you explore the area and discover how to make your way to the end. At the end, there's a whodunnit mystery for you to solve (so long as you don't keep guessing and restoring). I suggest you take notes as you go through.

Good luck, and remember that you can always press a key to hasten the stairway travel!
11-01-2005 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0 (0)  
admin wrote:
Anyhow, if the admins have no problem removing the DROD:AE version of this hold, I'd be forever grateful.

The problem with that would be that everyone who took the time to solve the first version would lose their high-scores.

11-01-2005 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Considering that the rooms you can get to that are, in fact, completable are available from the start, and /dead easy/, uh.

Edit: ...eh. I'm not gonna play through this version: You had a lot of opportunity with NPCs to make this hold really awesome: Like with what you did with the mimics. And, well, you didn't. Sorry.

ReEdit: WIth the exception of certain areas, but...eh.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 11-04-2005 10:34 PM]
11-02-2005 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
This hold has 27 rooms which need to be marked as un-highscorable.

11-05-2005 at 08:55 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Banjooie wrote:
...eh. I'm not gonna play through this version: You had a lot of opportunity with NPCs to make this hold really awesome: Like with what you did with the mimics. And, well, you didn't. Sorry.

Fair enough. My goal wasn't neccessarily improvement, mainly consolidation.

However, I find it strange that there's no easy way for an author to remove their own hold. It is *my* hold, after all. Is there even any way to alter the licencing from "other"?

11-06-2005 at 07:47 AM
eytanz
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
...eh. I'm not gonna play through this version: You had a lot of opportunity with NPCs to make this hold really awesome: Like with what you did with the mimics. And, well, you didn't. Sorry.

Fair enough. My goal wasn't neccessarily improvement, mainly consolidation.

However, I find it strange that there's no easy way for an author to remove their own hold. It is *my* hold, after all. Is there even any way to alter the licencing from "other"?

It would be totally unfair to allow people to remove holds, because that would mess up with people's highscores. Basically, no-one forces anyone to post holds in the "holds" forum - if you want to keep control over distribution of your hold, use the architecture forum. Posting to holds gives a more respectable status, and makes it easier for people to get the hold, but at the same time, you relinquish some control over its distribution. That's a fair trade-off, in my opinion.

11-06-2005 at 07:57 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I liked this a lot! Nice break from smiting left and right. I really liked the mystery a lot. It took me a while to figure out.

8 rating, 4 difficulty.
11-09-2006 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Recall everything you know - especially everything you know about Ben Chisel and the title of this hold ;)

A bit more of a hint:

Click here to view the secret text

10-05-2007 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Mastered - Not really my type of hold, but original indeed.
10-08-2007 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0 (Exploration and story-telling) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com