Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Cheers to the Happy Mentioners.
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Cheers to the Happy Mentioners. (+1)  
I was looking through my web stats today. What I found surprised me. My ideas are changing about the value of things Caravel is doing to get people to know about DROD.

So earlier this year I got DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold listed on Tucows, which isn't a big deal--if you have a software title and some patience, you can get it on Tucows. Tucows has really high traffic (about 2.5 million visitors/month) and has been around for a long time. How many people came to our site from Tucows this month? Well, we got 5 hits.

Of all the places that link drod.net and caravelgames.com, which would bring in the most visitors? download.com? filefront.com? Google? Nope, none of these.

By a wide, wide margin it is the Kingdom of Loathing forum with 14,694 hits in October so far. Google is next in line at 7,782 hits in October. Keep in mind that one visitor can easily generate hundreds of hits in a trip to drod.net, so 14,694 hits might be something like 100 visits.

So who do I have to thank? I searched the KoL forum a little. There's Dork Cheese, Egg Egg, swann_88, MasonJason, and probably others I missed that have uttered the name "DROD" here and there. When swann_88 mentions that he found out about KoL from DROD.net, that little post is worth more to Caravel than my game listing on Tucows.

Knowing how powerful this is, immediately I start thinking how I can exploit it as a marketing tool. Sorry, I gotta be evil like this to survive! But here's all I can do, ethically and practically speaking:

* Encourage people here who are active on other forums to mention DROD at there other homes. (But only if it is relevant and appropriate where you are posting.)
* And also encourage people to blog DROD, link DROD, tag DROD, ePimp DROD, or whatever else the internet has to put us out there. Many people have done these things already, and I see it helping in the traffic reports.
* Spend more time keeping the fans happy and interested in DROD stuff. Because at one level, this is a marketing task, I can justify making the site better, getting deep into contests, and... well, some other secret things, as opposed to low-value marketing tasks like submitting games to Tucows where they will be buried in obscurity.

This is not some scammy multi-level marketing pitch. If you feel comfy mentioning DROD somewhere, then I appreciate it. Attention is what we need!

-Erik

10-19-2005 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Cheers to the Happy Mentioners. (+1)  
I have run out of places to pimp DROD. I've been pimpin' hard.

10-19-2005 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Cheers to the Happy Mentioners. (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
I have run out of places to pimp DROD. I've been pimpin' hard.
Did you try crashing bingo tournaments and handing out fliers to senior citizens? :)

-Erik

10-19-2005 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
One little idea would be to talk to local papers. They might be interested in a local guy making a business out of a turn-based strategy game. You could obviously discuss how:
1. the game has the action feel because it has monsters
2. you have added scripting to create holds that immerse the player in the story
3. the forum including
a. user holds
b. hints
c. monthly contests

You get the idea, tell them your VISION! Just don't scare 'em off and start talking about eyeball soup or anything like that.

Other than that, someone should be able to come up with a nice, outlandish publicity stunt.. :D
10-19-2005 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
How about, next time there is a UK election, have a representative (let's call him Beethro) representing the "drod.net" party.

For a modest deposit (£200 I think) you'll be on all the official election blurb for the constituency you are in... Make it the same constituency as Tony Blair for maximum effect!

10-20-2005 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Dang it, Erik! You've filled my mind with an idea for a contest, and I promised myself that I wouldn't run another until next year.

In other news, this also gave me a small bit of incentive to work on the website. Yee-haw!

10-20-2005 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Let's see how many other people we can get to mention DROD. I'm sure we can get Greg Costikyan to mention it (you know, the guy at the Game Deveopers Conference rant that said if Nintendo's president had the heart of the game, which poor bastard did he steal it from. I believe he was also responsible for the Scratchware Manifesto on Underdogs. Somewhat of an indie fanatic.)

10-20-2005 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Well, that's funny, but I'm not trying for some kind of Howard Stern campaign here. Just, you know... like if it's natural and befitting of circumstances to mention DROD... I sure wouldn't mind.

Coincidentally, I've talked to Greg about DROD already. No news to report at this time.

-Erik

10-20-2005 at 08:41 AM
Speicus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
I pimped DROD on the community weblog Metafilter. It didn't get as many responses as I thought, but hey, I tried.

(Any stats on referrals from Metafilter? I'd like to think I did something...)
10-20-2005 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Oh, I saw that - someone showed me this Yahoo service that lets you see who's linking to a particular website. I think Mathpuzzle was responsible for a few hits as well.

10-20-2005 at 01:09 PM
ErikH2000
Speicus wrote:
I pimped DROD on the community weblog Metafilter. It didn't get as many responses as I thought, but hey, I tried.

(Any stats on referrals from Metafilter? I'd like to think I did something...)
I've got 4 hits in October/September from http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/45299.

Which is a page that doesn't work to browse to. >>shrug<< When did you first post the DROD thing on Metafilter?

-Erik

10-20-2005 at 08:36 PM
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
Oh, I saw that - someone showed me this Yahoo service that lets you see who's linking to a particular website. I think Mathpuzzle was responsible for a few hits as well.
maa.org (where Ed Pegg of mathpuzzle.com posted a wonderful review) is also a superstar for generating DROD visitors. I probably get 1 or 2 sales each month from that review.

Oh, also I looked at caravelgames.com (as opposed to just drod.net) and there are more metafilter hits going there. So it looks like maybe 25 hits in September/October altogether from metafilter.

-Erik

10-20-2005 at 08:45 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Erik,

I wonder if it'd be worth seeing if you can get DROD on RealArcade.

http://www.realarcade.com/gameguide

My daughter and I play and purchase many games on this site.

They have mostly action/puzzle games, but they are becoming quite diverse in their offerings. I purchased a turn-based puzzle game named Mummy Maze from them.

The games generally cost $20 and give the user a 1 hour demo. I'm not sure if it'd work out, but it'd probably give DROD a fair amount of exposure.
11-06-2005 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Real can bring in a lot of income for small games, but the changes needed to make DROD friendly to the "casual" market it caters to amount to a rewrite. I stay away from casual portals like Real, Pogo, Miniclip, but have been in contact with other companies that can sell more involved games like Twilight Games, Telltale, and Manifesto (if they ever get beyond Greg Costikyan making pay-attention-to-me noises :) ). The more I think about DROD and how it can be marketed, the more I know we have to stay away from the casual market and define our niche. If we changed ourselves to fit in with casual portals, we'd need to spend a lot of energy on dumbing down and prettying up DROD for the short attention span crowd. And putting DROD onto portals like Real, where they ask us to rebrand everything and remove links to our website, is not very good for increasing Caravel's customers. Here's an interesting postmortem of an indie company that spent too much time catering to portals:

http://bookofhook.com/Article/GameDevelopment/APyrogonPostmortem.html

Here's an article that describes the marketing style I think we should be pursuing:

http://lostgarden.com/2005/10/game-business-model-learning-from.html

Don't be surprised to see a lot more CaravelNet and multiplayer features in the next few years.

-Erik

11-06-2005 at 07:29 PM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
ErikH2000 wrote:
Don't be surprised to see a lot more CaravelNet and multiplayer features in the next few years.

-Erik

Multiplayer? I'm suddenly verrrry curious.
11-06-2005 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
...and my blabbing mouth just zipped up tight. Nothing to see here people. Move along!

Real announcements coming for things you can actually taste and touch today.

-Erik

11-06-2005 at 07:53 PM
Mattcrampy
Don't worry, Erik, we all knew multiplayer would turn up at some point. It's like the most wanted feature outside of the editor.

Although I'd be surprised if you guys had already worked out how multiplayer was going to work.

11-06-2005 at 11:34 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I hope you don't mind being mentioned on slashdot ?
Click here to view the secret text

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-07-2005 at 01:34 PM
ErikH2000
Ah, but we have been mentioned in Slashdot before. (user comments) And we've been mentioned with one degree of separation from the article (GameTunnel Indie Games Round-up). And it's not farfetched that in the future we'll have a full mention in the article itself with some of the things we have planned. So yes, B0rsuk, I am naive enough to click on the link and see if we're there.

-Erik

11-07-2005 at 05:32 PM
jamie
I agree. It's not naive to believe you'd be mentioned on slashdot!

Anyway, my slashdot signature is basically a plug for DROD

*cough* Did I just mention I have a slashdot login ? :blush

11-08-2005 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
jamie wrote:
*cough* Did I just mention I have a slashdot login ? :blush
Are you the jamie on games.slashdot that's playing World of Warcraft?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-08-2005 01:38 AM]
11-08-2005 at 01:38 AM
ErikH2000
If he is, then I will be so on his case to put DROD up on his "now playing" list. :)

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 01:43 AM
jamie
No, I'm "welsh git" :)

http://slashdot.org/~welsh%20git

11-08-2005 at 01:43 AM
ErikH2000
Yeah, there's some pluggage going on over there. Thanks, Jamie!

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 01:47 AM
jamie
No problem! Unfortunately, the 120 characters meant I couldn't link to both the DROD page and the FreeBSD page in the same sig. :-(

Still, I mainly post on the FreeBSD section. I really should post there more often though!

[Last edited by jamie at 11-08-2005 09:00 AM]
11-08-2005 at 01:52 AM
b0rsuk
I think that DROD will get a full article on slashdot one day (I hope your server can handle it), just not yet.

Why, oh why there's no DROD in debian/ubuntu repositories ? No, there were no problems at all when I installed it manually, but still. AE is 100% free and GPLed I think, so it's a bit strange. JTRH's licensing isn't all that evil, too.

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 11-08-2005 09:52 AM]
11-08-2005 at 09:52 AM
ErikH2000
b0rsuk wrote:
I think that DROD will get a full article on slashdot one day (I hope your server can handle it), just not yet.
Yep, I agree.
Why, oh why there's no DROD in debian/ubuntu repositories ? No, there were no problems at all when I installed it manually, but still. AE is 100% free and GPLed I think, so it's a bit strange. JTRH's licensing isn't all that evil, too.
I'm not familiar with the distributions and how their specific repositories are managed, but I'm guess the game just not being packaged up the right way (i.e. RPM or whatever) is the first obstacle. Maybe you have more insight here?

As far as licensing, we've never released anything under GPL. Source code for both DROD:AE and DROD:JtRH are licensed under Mozilla Public License 1.1. The media in DROD:AE is public domain. The media in DROD:JtRH is all rights reserved with no public licensing. For the media licensing in JtRH, I imagine there would be some problems getting onto different distributions or repositories. But I'm not an expert on Linux distributions.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 10:38 AM
b0rsuk
I can't say I'm linux guru. The problem probably is that .... someone actually has to package it.
Kubuntu (that's what I use) uses .deb packages, just like Debian. To my knowledge, there are at least a couple of distros based on Debian, so it's worth a try I guess.

Debian/Ubuntu are serious about licensing. There are several official Ubuntu repositories, and the reason why something goes into this or that repository is the license. main is 100% opensource (more less) while multiverse is the "least free". In worst case, I think DROD could fit into multiverse repository. As for JTRH, its "demo" status could be problematic. I suppose it doesn't look very nice to have a demo attached to a distro.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/components/

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 11-08-2005 11:29 AM]
11-08-2005 at 11:29 AM
jamie
Fortunately, FreeBSD has no such restrictions. They'll accept things in any license, closed, open, free, or 'pay for'.

In their packaging system ("Ports") there are special flags that automatically control distribution.

EG: "DO NOT DISTRIBUTE DOWNLOAD FILES" "DO NOT DISTRUBUTE INSTALL PACKS" etc.

I will will will will will will get drod into freebsd ports very shortly - and then you'll have lots of new Freebsd blood! - the problem I've been tackling lately is the best way to get a single 'pack' that can both be installed directly, from the website, and also from the ports-system, without having too much duplication in the pack!

[Last edited by jamie at 11-08-2005 07:02 PM]
11-08-2005 at 07:01 PM
ErikH2000
ErikH2000 wrote:
By a wide, wide margin it is the Kingdom of Loathing forum with 14,694 hits in October so far. Google is next in line at 7,782 hits in October. Keep in mind that one visitor can easily generate hundreds of hits in a trip to drod.net, so 14,694 hits might be something like 100 visits.
I wanted to make a correction here, because I was wrong, but in a good way: The 14,694 hits should actually mean something like 14,694 visits and not 100. When looking at hits in the "Total Referrers" section of the webalizer report that I have, the referrer is only set to KingdomOfLoathing.com on the first arrival at the site and counted once there, but not thereafter, on subsequent links for the person browsing. So holy crapamoley, it still seems too good to be true, but I guess we really did get 14k plus visits from kingdomofloathing. No doubt most of them were hunting for KOL hints, completely disinterested in DROD, but still...

Doing a sanity check, I see kingdomofloathing.com has an estimated traffic of 493,600 visitor sessions in the last 30 days. The final referral count for October was 16,982 hits which is saying something kinda like 3% of KoL players have involvement with drod.net. (!) Let's go look at the views on KoL topics to see if it checks out... Yeah, 30,844 views on the "Kingdom of Loathing" topic.

Huge numbers for our little drod.net. I'm glad I figured out correctly what the stats meant. My inborn pessimism just wasn't ready to accept we'd have so many visitors, I guess.

Let's see, any superstars for November...?

MySpace gave us 4103 visitors, but I don't know exactly who/where/how. It could have been from multiple people or blogs. I don't really understand how MySpace works and can't find any DROD stuff on it right now.

And others there too. Kingdomofloathing.com dropped off completely. Oh, well. I shouldn't be greedy.

-Erik

11-13-2005 at 11:31 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Cheers to the Happy Mentioners.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com