Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet FAQ. (Your answer to all things about CaravelNet.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+2)  
da rogu3 wrote:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/forumfaq.php#moderating

Note "If you want to give points to a post that isn't at 0, it'll cost you more mod points than usual. Normally, it costs two mod points to bump up a post's rating, so you can't keep doing it forever.". If I recall correctly it was recently changed, so the FAQ might need updating.

04-29-2011 at 10:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+1)  
skell wrote:
da rogu3 wrote:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/forumfaq.php#moderating

Note "If you want to give points to a post that isn't at 0, it'll cost you more mod points than usual. Normally, it costs two mod points to bump up a post's rating, so you can't keep doing it forever.". If I recall correctly it was recently changed, so the FAQ might need updating.
Agreed - the change was mentioned here http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=31589
04-30-2011 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (0)  
Sarngate pointed out some old links on the CaravelNet FAQ. I took the time to freshen these up and some other outdated details.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-21-2014 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
No mention of the chat?
Also a link is messed up, just after the "Take a look at the glorious".
"...download them out of game before loading up DROD: The City Beneath" should probably not be so specific.

[Last edited by Moo at 03-21-2014 05:57 PM]
03-21-2014 at 05:52 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Be warned: DROD.net's security policy consists somewhat of "who's going to hack US?", and even failing a hack, there are a few people who can read your password. These are mainly responsible types like the forum admins, and occasionally irresponsible types who don't know how to look at the passwords like the forum admins, and it's really more trouble than it's worth to change the situation. Of course, this is a problem on pretty much every board. It's probably a good idea, then, to not use something for your password that has bad follow-on effects if it gets discovered i.e. your Internet banking password, or your NORAD logon name.
I thought that Schik mentioned that the passwords are encrypted... Also, the 'quote' button when you're making a new post doesn't work.
03-21-2014 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Someone Else wrote:
Also, the 'quote' button when you're making a new post doesn't work.
Is this a bug you're reporting here?

03-22-2014 at 04:18 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Yeah, I guess. It gives me this: [undefined][/undefined]
03-22-2014 at 12:33 PM
mrimer
Someone Else wrote:
Okay. Would you please post new bug reports as separate topics so they can be marked off when resolved?

03-23-2014 at 12:12 AM
mrimer
Moo wrote:
No mention of the chat?
Also a link is messed up, just after the "Take a look at the glorious".
"...download them out of game before loading up DROD: The City Beneath" should probably not be so specific.
Thanks for mentioning these. I've addressed them.

03-23-2014 at 12:22 AM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Okay. Would you please post new bug reports as separate topics so they can be marked off when resolved?

Done: Posted to the Site board

03-23-2014 at 12:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jordthro
Rank Points: 100
This is really minor, but the CaravelNet icons descriptions in the FAQ is missing the connected and cloud synced icon: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=203429#separate Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

09-13-2014 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kalin
Rank Points: 185
I'd like to see a detailed explanation of what exactly is possible with just a forum account and what requires a CN subscription. The way the FAQ is currently written implies you need a subscription just to view the Hints boards, and that's just not true (I got all the hints I needed before I even made a forum account).

In particular, do I need a subscription to:
Start a thread on the Hints board? (Haven't tried this yet.)
Upgrade older games to version 5.0?
Upload my own holds and enter contests?
Import and export official holds and player profiles between games?

Also, are purchases from other sites (like GoG) during 2015 eligible for complimentary CN subscriptions?

01-31-2016 at 10:03 PM
Vike91
Rank Points: 230
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+4)  
Hi, and :hi !
I'm here to answer your questions about needing CaravelNet to do the following things (officials, feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

Start a thread on the Hints board? (Haven't tried this yet.)
No, anyone registered with this site are able to create topics. Please use existing topics, if there is one.

Yes, you will find all the 5.0 versions of previous purchased DROD games (KDD, JtRH, TCB, GatEB) in the Holds screen, if you have a CaravelNet subscription.
5.0 versions only work in TSS. 5.0 has tons of miscellaneous gameplay improvements. (thanks Nuntar)
Currently it is not possible to download non-5.0 official holds to TSS without CaravelNet, but this might change in the future.

Upload my own holds?
No,, though CaravelNet allows you to create private beta boards. Beta boards allow you to invite beta testers for your hold. Beta testers can give you feedback on your hold easier. Those boards are semi-private (meaning you and your invited beta testers can view the boards, additionally there are admins and Smitemasters Selections reviewers who can review your boards). Without CaravelNet you can post your hold to Architecture for public testing.

Enter contests?
No, the contests are open for all registered users unless otherwise stated in contest rules.

No, though CaravelNet offers easier transfer between games. CaravelNet offers hold downloads directly from Holds screen, and cloud save is also available.
Without CaravelNet you can use the Import/Export functionality in the Player screen. Holds can be downloaded here and imported in the Holds screen. Official holds can not be exported.

Also, are purchases from other sites (like GoG) during 2015 eligible for complimentary CN subscriptions?
No, complimentary CaravelNet is offered when games are purchased via Caravel Games.

[Last edited by Vike91 at 01-31-2016 11:30 PM]
01-31-2016 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kalin
Rank Points: 185
Thanks for your answers!

But I could still use some clarification on these two questions:
Vike91 wrote:
Yes, you will find all the 5.0 versions of previous purchased DROD games (KDD, JtRH, TCB, GatEB) in the Holds screen, if you have a CaravelNet subscription.
5.0 versions only work in TSS. 5.0 has tons of miscellaneous gameplay improvements. (thanks Nuntar)
Currently it is not possible to download non-5.0 official holds to TSS without CaravelNet, but this might change in the future.

No, though CaravelNet offers easier transfer between games. CaravelNet offers hold downloads directly from Holds screen, and cloud save is also available.
Without CaravelNet you can use the Import/Export functionality in the Player screen. Holds can be downloaded here and imported in the Holds screen. Official holds can not be exported.
I'm not trying to download old versions, I have old versions and want to download the 5.0 versions.

Here's my situation:
I bought the complete series from GoG last year.
I installed and post-mastered GatEB, and got partway through Advanced Concepts which shipped with it.
Then I installed KDD and am currently on level 18.
I own TSS but have not installed it yet.

If I install TSS, can I get the 5.0 versions of GatEB and KDD in it? Can I transfer my progress from the other games?
02-01-2016 at 10:46 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+3)  
Kalin wrote:
I bought the complete series from GoG last year.
I installed and post-mastered GatEB, and got partway through Advanced Concepts which shipped with it.
Then I installed KDD and am currently on level 18.
I own TSS but have not installed it yet.

If I install TSS, can I get the 5.0 versions of GatEB and KDD in it? Can I transfer my progress from the other games?
In order to download the 5.0 versions of the other official holds into TSS, you need an active CaravelNet subscription. You also need to have the games registered to your forum account, which, since you purchased them through GoG and not directly from Caravel, they aren't. In the past, Caravel has manually linked GoG purchases to forum accounts for people who have requested it, but mrimer announced in December that this practice would be coming to an end. In short, there is currently no way for someone who purchased the DROD games on GoG to download the 5.0 updates. It sounds as though you'll have to wait until the games are updated on GoG.

Transferring progress between game engines is a simple as exporting a player file from one version and importing it into a newer version. This works for official as well as user-made holds, however, it is necessary to download any holds you have made progress in prior to importing a player file, so it won't be possible for the official holds in your case. One caveat: If you have multiple player files and want to merge them into one, you have to choose the option to export saves only. This will only transfer progress, not demos.

Please note that there is not a 5.0 update for GatEB yet, so the version you have is identical to the one currently available from Caravel. The 5.0 update for GatEB is expected to be released concurrently with the Steam release. I would expect an updated GoG installer to come soon after, but I don't think there's been any official announcement about it.
02-02-2016 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
How do I put an image of my own creation directly into a forum post? I'm tired of just having to put it in an attachment where people have to download it.

11-13-2019 at 08:53 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Try the [attachment] tag.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-13-2019 at 09:18 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (-3)  
disoriented wrote:
Try the [attachment] tag.

I'm not asking for hints and solutions outside the dedicated board. Giving specifics is not frowned upon here.

11-13-2019 at 10:29 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: 717E84DD-1687-4E05-8338-CE1111A0DE5F.png (63.5 KB)
Downloaded 170 times.
License: Public Domain
An example, then?

I attached an image to my post and used the above tag to get it to display inline.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-13-2019 11:35 PM]
11-13-2019 at 11:34 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet FAQ. (Your answer to all things about CaravelNet.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com