Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Chopper
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
What am I missing here now? Given the lengthy process to get close, I can't move or kill these things fast enough to make any headway. :blush
07-28-2005 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East (+1)  
I can only give one generic clue about this room:

Click here to view the secret text

07-28-2005 at 09:16 PM
Chopper
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
I have been dying for a bit more than 4 hours now. How about something better than a "generic" hint? Puzzles and deduction are one thing, but this is starting with the odds so far against me it's getting silly. Don't ruin it for the more intelligent players, PM me.
07-29-2005 at 03:07 AM
Chopper
Still can't make any headway. And as I see what needs to be done here, it's looking more and more like this is it for me without a few more tips. Way too diabolically one sided as I see it.
08-01-2005 at 12:18 AM
newbiedrod
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
You have to be fast no doubt. On the other hand, realize that the terrain gives you some help in movement. Specifically,

Keep chucking.
08-01-2005 at 02:48 AM
Unkillable Cat
Rank Points: 18

[Last edited by Unkillable Cat at 08-01-2005 11:50 AM]
08-01-2005 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leefa
Rank Points: 23
I can not get past the x in the top left, any ideas?

[Last edited by leefa at 03-27-2007 07:17 PM]
08-01-2005 at 06:33 PM
Chopper
I am still here and still dying. Anybody care to post a demo that might give me some fresh tactics to try?
08-11-2005 at 05:19 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382

Tough room. If you are able to get to 1 with your sword on 2, or 3 with your sword on 4 and wait til just after a spawn that makes trips arcross the top part much easier as none of the babies can get behind you. Similar things can be done at 5 and 6 and a couple other spots.

I remember utillizing the spot at 7 a LOT when the room was getting to crowded. By alternating the sword NW and N, you can kill 1 every turn, then when safe, move NW and back again to draw out the babies that are lying in wait north and west of you.

EDIT: Forgot to add. At 8/9 is your best advance to get to the orb left of the X. Just make sure you don't get driven north of the structure.

[Last edited by Tscott at 08-11-2005 08:03 PM]
08-11-2005 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chopper
Thanx, pal but all I get is the "room image not available" thing. :~(
08-11-2005 at 09:15 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Chopper wrote:
Thanx, pal but all I get is the "room image not available" thing. :~(
Oops, sorry. :?
Basically find a spot on the edge of the center area to block two squares- one with your body and one with your sword- AND where you'll be safe from behind as long as you don't move away from the wall in the wrong direction. Then wait for the spawn cycle and make your way to where you need to be- this gives you 2 less monsters to fight in that area and a full cycle of 30 moves to work with.

08-12-2005 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chopper
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup
08-13-2005 at 07:26 PM
feathersword
Rank Points: 9
[im stuck. i cant get to the places to block babys, and after ive hit the first button i cant get to the next. Help? :~( :~( :no :weep :angry :( :( :(
09-06-2005 at 04:08 PM
grandmoo
Rank Points: 17

File: 122N2E.gif (399.3 KB)
Downloaded 143 times.
License: Other
I have to agree... silly waste of time... and i'm silly enough to be wasting my time! I can get to the NE orb, and then back to the NW orb across the top, only to die, or to the NE orb only to die trying to get up from the S again... i have roaches coming from two directions, and can't kill behind me as i advance... this is the first room that has completely stumped me. Can someone tell me if it's even possible to hit the NW orb and not get killed from this point?

[Last edited by grandmoo at 09-11-2005 09:08 AM : attach gif]
09-11-2005 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Yes, you can hit the NW orb from that position.

09-11-2005 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
grandmoo
Thank you...that one position for that orb helped me see the way to do the rest. But after over 13 hrs, 1484 moves (not counting the million deaths methinks, I see that it was possible to come in from the East and blow the room away in 37 moves w/out ever spawing a single baby? How cruel is that? :w00t

Rabscuttle wrote:
Yes, you can hit the NW orb from that position.

09-12-2005 at 07:58 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
grandmoo wrote:
Thank you...that one position for that orb helped me see the way to do the rest. But after over 13 hrs, 1484 moves (not counting the million deaths methinks, I see that it was possible to come in from the East and blow the room away in 37 moves w/out ever spawing a single baby? How cruel is that? :w00t
The only way to do that is to beat the room normally so that the green door drops, and then break some tar so a tar baby appears, then leave the room to the East with the tar baby still alive so the room doesn't count as conquered. So it's not an easy way to beat the room, it's just a cheap way to get a high score.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-12-2005 at 08:39 AM
grandmoo
I'm not interested in doing any room that way... and am relieved to learn that it was slight of sword, since I could not, for the life of me, see a way to enter thru that green door...thought there was another "higher," mysterious order of play that I had not yet discovered! (Bad enough my four-year-old grandson plays the delver better than I do!) :~(

09-12-2005 at 04:43 PM
feathersword
[die die die. look i know everyone seems to have got this prettyeasily but im stucker than a parrot in a super glue factory. HEEEEELLLP!!!!!!!!!! :w00t i cant get to the spot at 8 on the pic to use that tacic :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

[Last edited by feathersword at 09-18-2005 03:11 PM]
09-18-2005 at 03:06 PM
feathersword
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East (-1)  
sorry dun it no thanks 2 this page... :w00t :fun :thumbsup :cool :blush ;) :closedeyes :huh :thumbsdown :thumbsup :sick :crazy :wizard :wacko :wavecry: :wave: :baby :baby :ras :sly :devil :evilmad: :evil: :yucky :nugget :sneaky :sneaky :smart: :shutup :yikes :flowers :wub :santa :indian :guns :crockett :zorro :snap :beer :beer :drunk :sleeping :pepsi
ps i like smilies
09-18-2005 at 04:06 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It's a weird phenonemon of DROD that often after posting that you have a problem and can someone give you some help, you'll solve the room on the next try.

09-19-2005 at 10:02 PM
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50

File: level 12 2n2e lower right.jpg (71 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
License: Public Domain
ok, i am stuck at the lower right corner (see graphic) and can't seem to get out of there to the east as there are too many babies and I can only kill enough on the "clock" to just stay even. Any suggestions?

Maybe I have already screwed myself before getting in the position. What do you think?
03-25-2006 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I think it's solvable from there. It'll probably take you a couple of spawns to drain off the tar babies above you though. Then at some point you just have to run for it.

My next "safe" spot was here:

03-25-2006 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 12 1n 1e.jpg (69.4 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
Well, I really screwed up but good :weep I am trying to find the exit and I got to this room, one that I completed. But not I am in this pickle (see graphic). I guess I will have to start over the entire level again as I can see no way to back track nor exit the room. Suggestions?
03-27-2006 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
There's no need to restart the entire level. Try to find a recent checkpoint in an earlier room and enter 2N2E through the lower entrance, which is open after clearing the room.
03-27-2006 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Doom wrote:
There's no need to restart the entire level. Try to find a recent checkpoint in an earlier room and enter 2N2E through the lower entrance, which is open after clearing the room.

How does one find a "recent checkpoint in an earlier room"? And where the heck is the Exit (?,?) please. :unsure
03-28-2006 at 01:17 AM
wiseoldman
Oh, shoot :( I figured out (read the direction, stupid)! I did restore the room that allows entrance from the lower level. So I am now at the exit room, 2N3E.

Thank you very much. I paniced and thought that if you restored a room it started the level over again. Not the case.

:thumbsup
03-28-2006 at 01:25 AM
nickcoffey
Rank Points: 27

File: L12-2N-2E_NickCoffey-s.jpg (101.1 KB)
Downloaded 147 times.
icon JtRH : Level 12 : 2 N, 2 E : A Tale of Woe (+5)  
A tale of sadness I must share:

It was a cold and dank room, dark at first. The path wound back and forth as if the walls had teeth closing in on me, a then-unknown-to-me foreshadowing. After a bend, the path was straight, northward, just one smelly tar baby in the way. Swipe! But something didn't feel right... I heard the nasal sounds of a man in distress. A glob of tar was blocking his path. I pierced its stretched out skin, only to have it spill out its content of babies. Blindly, I swung, hearing tar bubbles burst left and right. I killed them all, right? No time! I sprinted southward...

I came upon a save point: a sure sign that danger lurked ahead. I heard bubbling noises, the sounds of a thick liquid sliding across the marble floor; a most unmistakable stench attacked my olfactory epithelia.

I crossed the force arrow.

From behind the unscalable walls that encased them, the glowing golden orbs were my only light source as I entered the room. From all angles, I could spot the festering pustules of tar, oozing and slithering—gliding, even—across the smooth tiles, leaving a slimy, slug-like trail behind them.

Quick! I positioned myself against a wall so that they could attack me from only two spots. Left! Right! I swung my sword conservatively; there was no doubt in my mind that where there were 10 tar babies, there were 1000. I needed my energy. ... Temporary freedom. I made a run eastward, quickly slaying any stray babies (and keeping myself in good spirits by recalling a few dead baby jokes). The glow from behind one of the walls greeted me as I rounded a corner. A save point as well! I ducked down and waited as the tar mother birthed a new litter. Again, allowing only two angles of attack, I swung. Left! Right! Left!

I angled my sword southwest and dashed upward! But wait! They're coming from the north as well! Quick, back to the southeast, another two-angle cover! Right! Left! Right! The mother is only halfway through her next series of gestations; there's time. I crept northward, side-stepped westward and drove through the line of tar babies in front of me.

Another glow! This one was unobstructed, illuminating more and more brightly another save point as I dashed towards it, but it also illuminated another batch of tar babies off to my left. I struck the save point, jumped towards the orb, struck it, then turned around, ready to meet the onslaught. Again, left and right and right and left, I swung and slayed the babies. A master baby-slayer was I!

Look! Off to my right! It's one of the gaps whence babies come! Let's go hide there and block the produc... another litter!! Fewer this time, though—fancy footwork and swordwork, and into the gap I go; to rest a bit and wait for the new arrivals.

Only two babies make it to me from the next litter. They were no problem. I rounded the corner and saw a row of tar babies. YAHHH!!! Left! Right! Stab! Slice! Plunge! With my back against the wall, I followed its southwestward bend. Another neuk, I decided, in which to wait the next batch. When they arrived, I killed all in my sight, then made a hysterical dash towards the next orb, now wholly visible and glowing, its protective wall having recessed by my having struck the first orb.

I could have continued southward but I already knew the layout of the northern and eastern corridors; I returned east, slaying the babies that dared to cross my path. Returning to the first orb and striking the save point, I waited in the same spot for the next bundles of joy. They arrived and I lunged southward, slicing and dicing, until I came upon the second save point, this time brightly illuminated by the second recessed wall. I struck the orb and waited patiently by the save point.

As the babies arrived, I slaughtered them, then repeated my steps from before, northward, westward, and striking the save point. Thank goodness for these babies' predictability!

Again in the diagonal neuk, I killed off the first two births, then sprinted towards the orb, struck it and furiously swung my sword from left to right, obliterating the babies headed for me.

Back eastward, cut cut snip, then southward, snip snip cut! Baby tar goop everywhere! I approached the last recessed wall, my nose writhing in agony from the grotesque antiredolence that emanated. I saw a couple of babies just sitting there... More force arrows! Left! Right!

Inward I plunged, cutting apart the beastly mother, mutilating its body and the babies that poured out as a result. On a hunch, I headed northward; inched my way closer... There they were. Those two bulbous, putrid eyes. I raised my sword high above my head and brought it down with all my might! A most unpleasant but gratifying squish greeted my ears as I gouged out Big Momma's eyes, plucking them out, shaking them off my sword and onto the floor, and bringing my sword down upon them repeatedly, chopping them up into an unrecognizable paste, onto which I stomped with my boots afterward for good measure, a grin of pure Jack Torrance slapped across my sweaty face.

I staggered out of the ex-mother's confinement through a crack in the wall, rounded up the remaining babies and quickly did away with them. I went looking for the exit. I came across a green door, but... door? Why was it closed? I killed all those little pustules... didn't I? I started circling the confinement, searching for any remaining baby. Nothing.

And then...

I heard a faint gurgle as I passed the northwest corridor... No... No, it can't be. I had killed them all when I rescued the nasally guy! I killed them all! Quick! We have to find a way to get back to that hallway. I know! Let's run south to where I entered...

Force arrow!! Double back! Gotta keep looking... Ah, a hallway up ahead at the northeast... NO! Another green door! ... This can't be... I'm... I'm trapped!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-25-2006 at 08:32 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
That is a sad, sad tale, Nick. In the words of the poet...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-25-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ZoMbYr@
Rank Points: 10
Can anyone attach a demo for this level, please.
I'm stuck for years here:~( .

Thanks

ZoMbYra the DARK :glasses
08-03-2006 at 08:20 PM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twelfth Level : 2 North, 2 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com