Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Quickdart
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West (0)  
I'm having trouble with these room, specifically clearing all of the tar out without dying or missing some. If I make the tar 3 sqaures wide and try and clear it I get killed since I can't back up. If I make it 2 squares wide, I get unclearable 2x2 blocks. Any hints?
06-16-2005 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West (+1)  
I would suggest opening up the editor and making 3x3 blocks of tar on a field of trapdoors to practice with. There are certainly ways to account for it, if you plan ahead. For example:

___
  (   )
B-(   )
  (___)

When you hit the blob from this direction, step North or South after you hit it. This will kill the tar baby on that side, and the other one will be blocked by the pit you just left behind, and you can then swing to kill it or move over to it, depending on what happens (and what other doors you have already stepped on).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-16-2005 11:26 PM]
06-16-2005 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chopper
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West (0)  
While thats all good, I haven't found a way to avoid either leaving a 2x2 or leaving unturned doors. Prolly another little thing I'm just not seeing. What is it this time?
07-19-2005 at 05:41 PM
Oneiromancer
You don't have to drop all the trapdoors (there's no red door), and just make sure all the 2x2 blobs are next to the bombs.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
I find it much easier if I set off the bombs on my first try to get an idea of what the radius is. Makes it much easier than try to do various calculations.

07-19-2005 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : Quince North, Twice West (0)  
How i can cut all tar without being stuck and be unable to exit the trapdoor area?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-19-2005 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : Quince North, Twice West (+1)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
How i can cut all tar without being stuck and be unable to exit the trapdoor area?

07-19-2005 at 09:32 PM
Chopper
I still manage to do the whole thing except for that start/end corridor. There must be something magical in there since I always end up with no way out or a 2x2 / 4x2 piece left. Beyond that, it's a snap.
07-21-2005 at 01:37 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
A hint on moving around:

On the entry:

07-21-2005 at 09:10 AM
Chopper
That corridor is 4 tiles wide.
07-21-2005 at 05:20 PM
Alneyan
Heh; I can only count all the way to three, as in "one row of roaches, go!", "two row of roaches, swing!", "three rows of roaches, scram!".

07-21-2005 at 05:35 PM
Chopper
HUH? :~(
07-21-2005 at 08:00 PM
Oneiromancer
If the 2x2 piece of tar you're leaving behind isn't next to the bomb...do it differently!

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 07-21-2005 08:08 PM]
07-21-2005 at 08:06 PM
Alneyan
In case you still need some help:

07-22-2005 at 08:22 AM
leefa
Rank Points: 23
can someone give me a demo on this? I am SICK of this room!

07-27-2005 at 04:37 PM
Alneyan

File: JtRH Eleventh Level 5N2W Victory.demo (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 282 times.
License: Other
Attached; it is a fairly average demo, definitively not made for efficiency, but it will get the job done.
07-27-2005 at 05:29 PM
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
This is, indeed, no very nasty room. Even with the demo it is extremely hard to get through this room. So far I am stuck at the X at the top and just can't seem to make it to next west X. I have been trying for hours now and no luck. Always a mistake or leaving a circle. Is there any good way to get through this room?

I even have screen snap shots of the room at various points that are almost identical to the Demo but still can't get there. It is too bad you can't pause the Demo and return to your game and then go back and forth. But I guess that would make the game to easy. Man - if it is this hard at level 11 I probably have no hope in higher levels :weep
03-20-2006 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
wiseoldman wrote:
It is too bad you can't pause the Demo and return to your game and then go back and forth. But I guess that would make the game to easy.
I don't think that's exactly accurate. You can go back and forth between the game and the demo, but you just have to rerun the demo each time. Your progress in the actual room is not lost, though. It takes a while, but it's straightforward to copy the moves of a demo this way. You can also speed up demos with the right arrow key.

Man - if it is this hard at level 11 I probably have no hope in higher levels :weep
Well, there's hard and hard. I find trapdoors under tar obnoxious and tedious, so that kind of puzzle is "hard" for me as well, in the sense that I don't like to spend the time necessary to solve it. You may find that the puzzles on later levels are more suited to your interest, and thus easier to solve without frustration setting in.

03-20-2006 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 11 5n2w starting over.jpg (242.2 KB)
Downloaded 108 times.
License: Public Domain
thank you for your nice reply. I am working hard on this room. I have managed to get to the point where I can come back down the right side but, unfortunately, I left an even number of tar rows so I had to start all over again. This graphic is where I am now on the replay. I hope, and your kind words help, to successfully get out of this room FOREVER :w00t

If I make it I will post my sigh of relief here :~(
03-20-2006 at 10:48 PM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
You're not in an impossible situation yet (I think) based on your picture. You should be able to cut tar from a position 2 down and one to the right of where you are.

Edit:
I take what I said back. You are stuck, but not because of tar. You have left a trapdoor (3 up from Beethro) which can not drop (because you can't step both onto and off of it.

[Last edited by md5i at 03-21-2006 02:50 AM]
03-21-2006 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
md5i wrote:
You are stuck, but not because of tar. You have left a trapdoor (3 up from Beethro) which can not drop (because you can't step both onto and off of it.
No, he's not - there's no red door in the room, so he doesn't have to drop them all...

03-21-2006 at 07:33 AM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
You are quite correct. I retract my edit. And feel like a dolt, of course.

:selftwak

03-21-2006 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
I greatly appreciate your help and comments. After many, many hours of trying to get through I finally made it albeit it was a very difficult way to do it compared to the "robot" who posted the demo :lol

But, being an old man trying to play a young man's game, it is amazing I made it at all.

I sure hope the remaining rooms are not as hard as this one. I was tetter-tottering on the edge of the chasm of Hopelessness but was able to regain my balance and move backwards. Now it is onwards once again :thumbsup
03-21-2006 at 11:51 AM
clammy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Oneiromancer wrote:
You don't have to drop all the trapdoors (there's no red door), and just make sure all the 2x2 blobs are next to the bombs.

Game on,

Yep. As soon as I realized that to open the black door, you just have to get rid of all the tar, not drop all the trap doors, the room was fairly easy.
04-05-2006 at 03:46 AM
JLE
Rank Points: 46

File: JtRH Eleventh Level 5N2W Victory.demo (7.5 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West (+3)  
According to the fact that there is a voluntary challenge for it, it is technically possible to clear the room leaving tar only next to *one* bomb - the southeastern one, not near any trapdoors - and to drop all the trapdoors.

I've worked out how to do it by letting the bombs destroy the last of the tar by all the bombs, which leaves the trapdoors that the tar bits were standing on: now to try it with clearing all the trapdoors...

[EDIT] AND... done it!

Now that I've worked out how to save a demo, here's one attached...

[Last edited by JLE at 09-05-2015 11:39 PM]
09-05-2015 at 10:47 PM
Trafalgar
Rank Points: 31
I had to look it up on Youtube.

06-15-2021 at 05:06 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Eleventh Level : 5 North, 2 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com