Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Level Design Contest 2005 (frequently asked questions)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Level Design Contest 2005 (+1)  
Just to put everything in a centralized location, here's the deal with the level design contest...

Submissions
*To submit a level, simply post it in this forum (in fact I will assume any level posted in this forum applies for the contest, unless there's a reason not to).

*If you want to keep a level away from the public, put it on the web somewhere and PM me on where to download it.

*You may submit any number of levels.

*There isn't presently any prize, it's just for the honor of it.

Requirements
*The level MUST HAVE a valid HARD mode demo. Because I cannot just assume it is possible without having tangible proof.

*This rarely happens, but a level only working because of a bug exploit will be disqualified, because future bugfixes may render it impossible.

*This also rarely happens, but a level should not rely on the behavior demonstrated in "Laws of Physics" and/or "Don't Try This At Home", for the simple reason that this makes a level overly obscure.

*No profanities in hint boxes, please.

Other
*Though I will try to answer everything, I cannot guarantee it

*The intent is to put all levels into a single expansion pack; however, I reserve the right to omit levels. I've done this in the past a couple of times for levels that were trivially easy, consisted only of a single editor screen (i.e. less wide than a game screen, even), created by random scribbling, or otherwise not interesting.

*I sometimes make small changes to submitted levels, usually by removing a tool or dynamite if I could find a way to solve it without, and often by fiddling with the point values or rewording unclear message boxes

Hints for good level design
*Avoid linearity - give the player choices

*Pick a cool theme and stick with it (e.g. Symmetry; Obedience Course; You Only Live Twice)

*Having separate solutions for easy mode and hard mode is a good thing

*A puzzle doesn't have to be difficult, but it should be interesting

06-16-2005 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: Level Design Contest 2005 (+1)  
I have something to add to that.
A word of warning about save disks - try not to place save disks smack bang in the middle of a room full of monsters or falling rocks, because it is possible for a player to save, then get killed immediately afterwards. If this happens, any further attemps from that save point result in the player instantly dying, and the player has to restart from the beginning, which is annoying.
06-18-2005 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pampaluna
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Level Design Contest 2005 (0)  
I would like to take part to the contest but I can't obtain valid demos. My Subterra version is 3.4 dated 2002. In my computer I have Windows Millennium.
Could anyone help me solve this problem?
Thanks.
Caterina
12-26-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
Radiant, I have no idea how to test a level in hard mode. I've been able to beat the levels I've made with all hard mode requirements, but that's because I know what I need to do there. Is there some sort of keyboard function for doing this?

One more thing-will someone who has a winning level have direct access to their level on the "Level Design Contest 2005" menu in the next release of SubTerra?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-30-2005 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
In the contest levelset, the winning level, as well as runners-up, are put at the front of the set, right after Intro.
There is currently (as far as I know) no key for testing in Hard mode.

Edit: Btw, Happy New Year!

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 12-31-2005 10:45 PM]
12-31-2005 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
There is no key to test a level in hard mode, nor do you really need one. The only differences would be that 1) the time limit and gem limit are actually enforced, and 2) the easy exit is closed. So what I usually do is test the level to my best capability (and ignoring the blue exit) and afterwards setting the hard mode time limit (and gem quota) to appropriate values.

In other words, set gem quota to 1 and time limit to ten minutes. Test. Set gem quota to however many gems you picked up, and time limit to however much you actually used plus thirty seconds or so. View replay to make sure you had it right. Ta dah!

You can access any level using the special secret cheat code that I'm sure everybody knows about by now :)

Oh and by the way this is the final call for the 2005 contest. Mail whatever you like to me, or attach it in the forum. I hope to get around to judging soon and have a result by february 1st.

01-08-2006 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Level Design Contest 2005 (+1)  
Gack, that's terrible reasoning. Basically, you're enforcing your own style of level design on other people. Not everyone works the same, nor is everyone creative in the same way. Just because you don't use a feature, doesn't mean it's not useful for other people.

01-08-2006 at 08:13 AM
The Stew Boy
I thought there was a 'test' option that you could choose for the gem limit and time limit. However many gems you picked up would be set as the limit.

Oh, and Radiant, have you judged the levels yet?
02-15-2006 at 08:31 PM
Radiant
Mostly. Although finding a good IRL job takes up most of my free time. Hence, apologies for the delay.

03-18-2006 at 07:35 PM
jockmo42
So, levels for the contest go in this thread? Or just the forum in general?

EDIT: Whoops, not much use for an answer anyway, this being the 2005 contest. Once again, I feel special.

[Last edited by jockmo42 at 06-16-2006 06:54 AM]
06-16-2006 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
jockmo42 wrote:
So, levels for the contest go in this thread? Or just the forum in general?

EDIT: Whoops, not much use for an answer anyway, this being the 2005 contest. Once again, I feel special.

Any levels that you make go in the Levels thread. This thread is for the 2005 contest, yes, but unfortunately Radiant hasn't got around to judging the levels yet, even though it is halfway through the year.
I think that's why no-one is sending in many levels, Radiant, because they don't know if the 2005 contest is over yet or not. Once you've judged the levels, I should think more people would send in more levels.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 06-16-2006 08:16 AM : Yearr, lol]
06-16-2006 at 08:16 AM
jockmo42
I'd send in at least one of mine if I knew that they would be judged.

06-16-2006 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pampaluna
As far as I know, levels for the 2005 contest should appear in the "Homebrew levels for all to play", which is where I posted mine.
I am about to post some new ones, and they can be counted in for the 2005 or the 2006 contest, whatever you decide...

Love to all, Caterina
PS- Let me know if I'm wrong, please!
Caterina
06-22-2006 at 09:17 PM
jockmo42
Ya, me too, that'll work.

06-27-2006 at 05:12 AM
The Stew Boy
I think it would be a good idea to change this contest, instead of 2005, to 2005-6, because it'd be a bit pointless having a 2006 contest over 4 or 5 months.
07-17-2006 at 07:15 AM
Pampaluna
I think it's a good idea!
07-23-2006 at 09:02 PM
BainIhrno
Rank Points: 10
Will there be a new expansion pack eventually? I'd love to see more SubTerra levels!

[Last edited by BainIhrno at 09-17-2006 02:27 AM]
09-17-2006 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jockmo42
I'm guessing since there is still an active level submission forum, Pieter will eventually release a new levelset for SubTerra.

09-17-2006 at 06:36 AM
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
Radiant wrote:
*This also rarely happens, but a level should not rely on the behavior demonstrated in "Laws of Physics" and/or "Don't Try This At Home", for the simple reason that this makes a level overly obscure.
Which behaviour is this, out of curiosity?
09-06-2008 at 04:54 AM
Radiant
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Which behaviour is this, out of curiosity?
Why don't you try this and find out? :)

There's some weird tricks. For instance, you can push things over explosions, and you can balance a rock on top of another rock if you do it right (and swift).

09-06-2008 at 09:28 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Level Design Contest 2005 (frequently asked questions)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com