Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Claythro Tower - The Rooftop. (0)  
And 1S4W requires a checkpoint even more - it's not difficult, it's just very, very annoying to have to wait 600+ turns, then have to restart because of a mistake, over and over.

And 5W is even worse.

Look, you said so yourself. These rooms have little replay value. And this applies equally well before you complete them then after. If I figured out what to do, but I keep dying because I didn't position my mimic correctly, you force me to wait for over 1700 turns - that's 4 minutes, real time, with the fastest key repeat on my 2.4 Ghz computer, every single #*%#$ time I make a mistake. Does that seem like a reasonable demand on my time?

[Edited by eytanz on 11-11-2003 at 03:43 AM GMT]

11-11-2003 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Eytan, I hate to interrupt your lovely rant, but...

ClaytonW wrote:
Stuart, Neil, I agree. Checkpoints have been added.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-11-2003 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Yeah, I saw that, but he didn't specify where he added the checkpoints, and Stuart's post that he was replying to was all secrety and I didn't look back at it to check if he mentioned 5W, which was rather stupid of me.

11-11-2003 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
eytanz wrote:
Yeah, I saw that, but he didn't specify where he added the checkpoints, and Stuart's post that he was replying to was all secrety and I didn't look back at it to check if he mentioned 5W, which was rather stupid of me.
I ought to mention room numbers outside the secrets, but it's too easy to just lump it all together. I'll make the effort in future.
11-11-2003 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Nah, I should have read more carefully. Anyway, all that happened is that I made some redundant posts. At best, Clayton should be even more convinced now than he was earlier :eyes

[Edited by eytanz on 11-11-2003 at 06:25 AM GMT]

11-11-2003 at 06:24 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, because I don't have time to read over the last posts, but I played Claythro Tower under a previous version and its Sixth Story was different to the latest one. Is there something to that?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-12-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think Clayton just decided to go a different direction with the 6th floor and will put the rooms that were there before somewhere else. Not a big deal, I think there were only two anyway, right?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-12-2003 at 12:07 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I lost everything that wasn't in the editable version I made for Matt, including my original two rooms of level 6. I'll probably remake the West room, but not the South, for level 7.
11-12-2003 at 12:59 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hi, guys...just wanted to butt in here for a sec... Clayton, you've mentioned several times that you've lost lots of rooms you've designed. Is this due to bugs, or...? I just want to make sure that DROD's not doing something horrendously wrong causing you or other hold developers lots of grief!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-12-2003 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Just to quickly answer for Clayton, I am pretty sure the data loss happened on an old build, and was already discussed in the Bugs forum in the past. Please correct me if I am wrong of course...

Game on,

11-12-2003 at 07:09 AM
ClaytonW
No, it was no fault of DROD. I'm just a moron. I created "Claythro Tower2" for Matt by copying "Claythro Tower," then deleting the rooms that weren't needed in "Claythro Tower2". Since I was making Claythro Tower's levels somewhat out of order, my level list looked like this:

2.5 (a hidden level)

Because it was like that, I figured that because I made this nice ordered version for Matt (minus the extra levels), that I'd just continue working on that one, and add the extras at the end where they belong. Well, stupid me, I deleted Claythro Tower because I briefly forgot I still had those extra levels there.

A nice way to prevent this would be to implement a simple way to move holds and levels up and down in their lists. I wouldn't have deleted my original version if I could've just changed the order.
11-12-2003 at 04:25 PM
Oneiromancer
But at some point you did lose some data due to a beta build, right? Just so I know I'm not totally losing it...

Game on,

11-12-2003 at 05:21 PM
ClaytonW
Well yeah. Back when everyone else was doing it. I just wanted to fit in with the data loss clique. :P
11-12-2003 at 11:41 PM
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
I haven't played this level through yet, but on 2W:

Click here to view the secret text

11-13-2003 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Mikko wrote:
I haven't played this level through yet, but on 2W:

By George, you're right! I'll fix it up better for the next release. Thanks!
11-13-2003 at 04:26 PM
ClaytonW
Alrighty, Level 7 is finally finished (not available for download yet, though). I'm now ready to begin working on my rooftop... again. However, the last time I upgraded DROD, I deleted everything but Claythro Tower, and did a full install. Therefore, I don't have Dugan's Dungeon completed on username... and I need it... and I don't want to play it again, really, I've done it enough. Could someone here make a copy of their editable Dugan's Dungeon, and e-mail it to me? (DarkKaonis@yahoo.com) Don't post it here, someone else who hasn't earned it might grab it.

I'd really appreciate it.

Oh, if you're going to send it, reply to this message and say you are, so that I don't get forty copies of Dugans Dungeon sent to me.
12-06-2003 at 07:24 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Can someone give me a hint on the Sixth Story Once West? It's driving me nuts.

Well, that's an exaggeration. But still.....

12-06-2003 at 02:46 PM
esskay
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
So far, this hold is great. A great deal of nice puzzles.

But...

Level 2- am I missing something?

So it's 3x3.. I conquered all the rooms. I like 1S1E. But the blue doors don't disappear. I can't exit the level.

Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by esskay on 12-07-2003 at 05:00 AM GMT]
12-07-2003 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
...yes. It'll be fixed in my next update, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
12-07-2003 at 06:46 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Any help?

12-07-2003 at 07:42 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Well if you are really desperate there are at least 2 demos posted for all the rooms.
12-08-2003 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Clayton, have you put any thought into where the tower is? I think it might be fun to make Claythro a part of the Eighth by having him build a tower out in the flatlands in a fit of lunacy, but then that's just me.

Matt

12-09-2003 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Scott wrote:
Well if you are really desperate there are at least 2 demos posted for all the rooms.

Where?

12-09-2003 at 05:23 PM
ClaytonW

File: Claythro Tower.hold (59.5 KB)
Downloaded 112 times.
License: Other
icon Claythro Tower: DONE (0)  
Okay guys, have at it. There are some room fixes, and the addition of the Seventh Story, and The Rooftop.

If at least one person could test the hold beginning to end, I'd be most grateful.

As always, share your thoughts and suggestions with me. Tell me where I need checkpoints, too (like I need to tell y'all).

Enjoy. :)
12-09-2003 at 11:54 PM
Oneiromancer
I was going to make the same offer to you that I made to Wesley: give me an Anyone Edit hold and I will take the time to go through it and make comments for you. However, upon importing this hold, I have access to all the levels in the editor. This is because I had previously beaten the hold which had a level 6, and received editing rights. Now, I don't know if you wanted us to have access to this latest version because of secrets, although it seems to be set to You and Conquerors. So do you mind that I have access? Or are there some secrets that you don't want revealed just yet?

It seems like this might be a small bug--getting to the "End Hold" staircase shouldn't give access to levels beyond that staircase upon an update. Or was this intended? And this might have happened to other people, but I think this is the first multi-level hold I have actually gotten editing rights to and then someone upgraded it by adding more levels. So I might be late to the party on this one.

Game on,

12-10-2003 at 12:46 AM
ClaytonW
Oneiromancer wrote:Now, I don't know if you wanted us to have access to this latest version because of secrets, although it seems to be set to You and Conquerors. So do you mind that I have access? Or are there some secrets that you don't want revealed just yet?

Hm. I didn't expect that this would happen, but I don't think it matters all that much. Of course I'd like secrets to be discovered as the user plays through the hold, but because of your special circumstances, I cannot prevent you from poking around. The secrets in Claythro Tower are small, and are easily found. So, go ahead and look through the hold as you see fit. I would suggest that (since you already played through level 6) you just start on the Seventh Story and play from there, without the editor. You can use the level jump on the first floor. I set the hold to "You and Conquerors" because I didn't know about this "bug?" But like I said, I don't think it matters that much.

Awfully wordy... sorry 'bout that.
12-10-2003 at 03:29 AM
eytanz
You know, I honestly don't remember how far I got in this hold. Guess I'll just start it from scratch.

12-10-2003 at 03:48 AM
eytanz
Nevermind, saw what I was missing.

[Edited by eytanz on 12-11-2003 at 04:42 PM GMT]

12-11-2003 at 04:36 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Since it seems some people missed it, how do I get the "two demos for every room"?

12-11-2003 at 06:02 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
You look back through previous posts on this Topic, and find where people attached demos.

I need to add something that shows all attachments in a Topic all together for easy browsing, but there's only 5 pages... it shouldn't be that hard to find.

12-11-2003 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Claythro Tower - The Rooftop.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com