Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD AE: Beethro's gone senile
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
acrobat
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
IP: Logged
icon DROD AE: Beethro's gone senile (0)  
A long time ago I beat the game and then inadvertantly wiped out my player record while trying to upgrade to 1.6.6, and finally got around to finishing the game through the second time. At the finishing screen with the kids, there was an error message to the effect of "I was going to use a victory demo, but couldn't find the file" or something similar.

I'm suspicious that this may be due to not beating all the rooms on level 25, but not entirely sure. It also seemed to think I had taken the shortcut room in level 4, which I explored but did not take.
04-30-2005 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: DROD AE: Beethro's gone senile (0)  
You might want to read this post: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2938&page=0#28826

[Edit: Be sure to read the rest of the thread as well, as the list seems to contain a bug.]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:04-30-2005 at 07:43 PM]

04-30-2005 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acrobat
Well, like I said, my player file was wiped so I had to replay from level 1 in 1.6.6 (I had 1.6.5 before) so it looks like what's at fault is the room on level 25. Specifically, 25 1N2W where I exited the room without killing the brain. Maybe the game should detect this somehow?
05-13-2005 at 05:54 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Pretty much, if you think a certain room is at fault, beat it again in order to get a "good" demo for the ending sequence.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-13-2005 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acrobat
icon Re: DROD AE: Beethro's gone senile (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Pretty much, if you think a certain room is at fault, beat it again in order to get a "good" demo for the ending sequence.

Game on,

I can do that, but that's not quite what I meant. Let me try again:

It's possible to complete the game without beating all the rooms on level 25. Should this be the case? If this is acceptable, then the part of the game that makes the assumption that you have demos for all those rooms might deserve a second look. If it's not, then perhaps the rooms should be changed to have green doors blocking the exit?
05-31-2005 at 11:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Ah, well, then yes, you completed the room in a way which was not intended. There are quite a few "'Neather kills" on Level 25 as well, and I'm sure having demos of those will break the ending. It's been like that for a long time, though, and it's not likely to be fixed for 1.6. The free 2.0 version was just officially released on the Holds forum, with some bug fixes, but I'm not sure if that one made it in, or if it will be upgraded without a show-stopping bug. It can definitely be fixed for the Smitemaster's Selection version, although in 2.0 the ending can't be the same as the 1.6 version, since it's not hard-coded into 2.0 like it was for 1.6. So it won't matter as much if you solve the rooms on 25 in an unorthodox way in the upcoming version.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-31-2005 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Oneiromancer wrote:
The free 2.0 version was just officially released on the Holds forum, with some bug fixes, but I'm not sure if that one made it in, or if it will be upgraded without a show-stopping bug.
The KDD on the Holds board is exactly the same as the one in AE. No fixes, no changes, no nothing. It's a 1.6 hold, and thus could be imported into AE, except 1.6 already *has* KDD.

05-31-2005 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD AE: Beethro's gone senile
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com