Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Deep Hold (Various)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.1/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.36
Author Name:The_Red_Hawk
Submitted By:The_Red_Hawk
Hold Name:Deep Hold
Theme:Various
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:25
Number of Rooms:338
Number of Monsters:30484
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+4 / -4)
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged

File: Deep Hold.hold (294.1 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Deep Hold (+2)  
Here you go.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-10-2006 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119

File: Deep Hold_fixed.hold (294.1 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Deep Hold (+2)  
That one is still not possible to complete. There's an inaccessible required room on the last level. Here's a fixed version.

Edit: I've also fixed the buggy stairs.

[Last edited by Stefan at 02-12-2006 12:50 AM : new fix]
02-10-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Deep Hold (+1)  
For some reason, the process that generates all the images was taking up huge amounts of memory, and it finally got killed before it was able to finish. For now, I simply disabled image generation for hold updates so this could at least successfully update. So a few room images might look wrong on the forum until I have the time to fix this correctly.

02-10-2006 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Stefan
wallu wrote:
Should stairs in L24:1S1E lead to Level 25? I ask this because they lead directly to level 1.
Yes, they should, and I think they did in a previous version (either that or I forgot that I had fixed them in my local version). I've attached a new fix in my post above.

02-12-2006 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Deep Hold (0)  
After importing Stefan's fixed version I get the "this hold is not published on Caravelnet" message. How do I get around this? (I see Stefan has the hold conquered, so there must be a way.)
02-25-2006 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
michthro wrote:
After importing Stefan's fixed version I get the "this hold is not published on Caravelnet" message. How do I get around this? (I see Stefan has the hold conquered, so there must be a way.)
I played the last level a long time ago (most of it on 19.5.05, IIRC) after having made a local version to bypass the bug on the twentieth level. Because it would have been hugely unfair to upload those demos to CaravelNet at that time, I waited until the hold was updated. However, I still seem to have caused a slightly unfair situation when I failed to notice the stairs bug before uploading my progress).

However, It is possible to gain access to the 25th level and still have CaravelNet enabled for the hold. Just update to the (most) fixed version and walk down the stairs. Then downgrade to the version on CaravelNet and play the level (or upload your progress).

02-25-2006 at 09:26 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Ahhh... Thanks, Stefan. :)
02-25-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Incidentally, the "you must be using the editor" scroll in L10:1N1W is readable in-game.
04-01-2006 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
That's cheating, you're supposed to come in from the south. :P

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-02-2006 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Stefan wrote:
However, It is possible to gain access to the 25th level and still have CaravelNet enabled for the hold. Just update to the (most) fixed version and walk down the stairs. Then downgrade to the version on CaravelNet and play the level (or upload your progress).
I've fixed this in the posted hold.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-09-2006 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
If I'm not mistaken, there's a backtracking issue on the fifth level: it's possible to go north from 2N3E without having completed, say, the room to its south; and once you're in 3N3E/3N4E, you're not getting out.

Also: are the scrolls on this level meant to be blank, or did something strange happen during a code update?
12-11-2011 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
...and it looks like Level 7: 2N, exiting east, also has a backtracking problem. (These things do still get fixed, right?) Edit to add: Also, going west from Level 7: 1N1E.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 12-20-2011 05:51 AM]
12-20-2011 at 05:48 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Another "note from the past" to any poor souls who may be playing through this in the future: there's another backtracking problem in Level Twenty-One (Smiting in Vain): if you solve 1S first, then it's impossible to return through 1S to the Entrance. Combined with the fact that 1S1E is impossible from its western entrance, you're stuck and can't go forward or backward.

So, be sure to solve Level 21 1E and 1S1E before you solve 1S.

EDIT: Additionally, make sure you don't leave Level 24 The Entrance to the south (no matter how tempting it may be), and be sure to solve Level 24 1S1E and Level 24 1S *last* in the level, or again you will get trapped by the inability to go from south to north in The Entrance, or from south to north in 1S1E.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-27-2017 02:43 AM]
01-23-2017 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bobkberg
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Hi All,

In playing level 3 2N, I can see the green door in the lower right, and in the Hints section, I can see where you need to enter that room from the lower right.
BUT...
I can't find those rooms to the east of that. I've searched all adjacent rooms, clearing tar by the sides in search of a secret or broken wall, and cannot find how to get to those other rooms.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
06-12-2018 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
You don't need to enter that room from the lower-right to clear it. My demo manages from the lower-left just fine.
06-12-2018 at 10:11 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Deep Hold (Various)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com