Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Krishh's Castle. (Assorted puzzles with a story.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.61
Author Name:Krishh
Submitted By:Krishh
Hold Name:Krishh's Castle.
Theme:Assorted puzzles with a story.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:30
Number of Monsters:648
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Krishhs Castle.hold (16.4 KB)
Downloaded 2237 times.
License: Other
icon Krishh's Castle.  
A quite easy but fun little hold with a story. Enjoy!

Not much reason to try it if you played the version (2.0+) on the Architects board though, unless you are going for the highscore.
04-27-2005 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Krishh's Castle. (+1)  
I enjoyed this. Some clever puzzles, and not too hard.

04-28-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
I thought the castle was good clean fun. Not too long, not tedious, but not easy. I liked it. We could stand to see more holds like this. And excellent use of the Drod 2.0 new features. I especially liked the Red vs. Blue snake room.
05-10-2005 at 07:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Krishh's Castle. (0)  
Agreed. Very fun hold, none of the tedious rooms that sometime find their ways into holds. Some nice ways of using JtRH elements that haven't been used much so far (such as using rock golems to block wraithwings).
05-13-2005 at 05:49 AM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Well, thanks for the praise, glad you all liked it.

As a little piece of trivia this was (at least I think it was) the first JtRH user hold published, and definetly the first finished (had to wait while hold uploading was reworked for CaravelNet) so I'm double glad you liked my use of JtRH elements, since I had pretty much no prior experience with them.
05-13-2005 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
cool hold and much fun ^^ i give it a 8 because of coolness,fun,progressive difficulty
not 9-10 because of shortness,hmm because " slight detour" is another level though it connects with the entrance (same screen) and for coherence it could be cool for them to be the same level and hmmm oh i gave 8 because of cool story too :P and i agree with what was said so far :P so yeah keep "holding" this is some fun work :)
05-31-2005 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tablesaw
Rank Points: 33
I played through the hold today, and it was a blast. I wish I'd downloaded it earlier. It would have been a welcome diversion when I was trying to finish the last few levels of JtrH. Lots of interesting rooms that provided an easy challenge.

I thought that Main Hall 1N was particularly fun. It was interesting to see scripting used to keep monsters in place until certain conditions had been met, but
Click here to view the secret text

In the final room,

Anyway, it was a very fun hold. Good job.

06-05-2005 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
In reply to Tablesaw:

06-05-2005 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Ditto everyone else's comments.

Fairly easy, but..

Always fun.
Nice story line.

Well done!! :thumbsup
09-22-2005 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
This is an ... okay hold. The puzzles are simple without being pushovers. They manage to hit a good number of styles (horde, manipulation, lynchpin) though there's no especially unique rooms. The difficulty nicely curves a little upwards towards the end.

Hold structure is great! However, individual rooms remain kinda barren. Typos go uncorrected. Puzzle-important scripts lack clarity. Checkpoints are missing from many rooms.

I do still recommend this as a low challenge hold, assuming you're willing to put aside the absence of polish. There aren't terribly many holds that are expertly-designed while remaining novice-aimed, it seems ... (Beethro and the Cake notwithstanding.)
05-19-2013 at 12:23 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I'm not sure why, but when I downloaded the version of this hold in the OP, it was listed as unpublished, and I had to download the in-game version to be able to upload highscores. Could this perhaps be fixed?

Edit: perhaps I just had to restart drod. Silly me.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 05-26-2013 04:34 AM]
05-26-2013 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zipzap24
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
How do you download it.
06-05-2013 at 05:53 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Click on the link to the left of the first post -- just above where you see "Downloaded 1738 times" or however many it is now.

06-05-2013 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kaelyn
Rank Points: 76
I'll echo what the first few posters said: this is a fun little hold! (It's doubly cool when you realize it was published just a month after 2.0 came out. Impressive turnaround!)

The puzzles are pretty okay. A few stand out, like Entering 1E, the evil eye and wraithwing rooms of Main halls, and Castle roof 1N1E. The final room is fun for all the clever ways you can kill the slayer. The rest are meh. But I'm from the wonderful world of DROD 5.1. Back in 2005, when smitemasters' nightmare of choice was seep, not gentryii, I bet these puzzles were more interesting and formidable. Novelty, yo.

I gotta point out the brilliance of A slight detour's secret room -- it's a copy of Entering 1N just from a different direction. Yes, it's a two-move "puzzle", but it's architecture like this that really ties a hold together. In my opinion, environment is just as important as the puzzles.

Speaking of environment, Krishh makes decent use of the then-newfangled obstacles to enrich the experience. It's no modern art, and it's not quite consistent enough to convey the feeling of exploring a dilapidated castle, but it's a nice touch. Again, I bet it was respectable for its day.

In conclusion, Krissh's Castle. is a competent hold. The puzzles are relaxing. The aesthetics are pleasing. The story is adequate. There are worse ways to spend half an hour.
4 brains
6 fun
05-07-2019 at 05:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Krishh's Castle. (Assorted puzzles with a story.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com