Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Page 4 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
IP: Logged
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+1)  
press "F6" when you're playing the room

then you'll go to the demo screen

There is a button : "import"

click that button, then you can go to the directory where you downloaded the demo

When you did this, click "watch" and there you go.

note: during the demo watch, press left or right arrow to watch the demo step by step
(press up or down (not sure) and it plays further automatically)

05-23-2009 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 3N - cant get 3rd chamber.demo (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (0)  
It seems I'm not the only one having trouble with this room. I've read through this entire thread and tried all the ideas here to no avail. I still can't get into the 3rd chamber. I've attached a demo of me failing. If someone could give me some rather large hints on what I'm doing wrong, it would be much appreciated. I'd still prefer not to see a demo at this point, but I may resort to that as a last effort. This is the last room before I can get to the Dreamplane. Please Help

EDIT: Nevermind. Another case of H&S magic :D
Realized what I was doing wrong and finished it pretty quickly after that. :yay

DREAMPLANE HERE I COME!!!!! :guns

Hold Completion:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by wombatiouspenguin at 06-07-2010 06:33 AM]
06-07-2010 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DCLeadboot
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
fratropea wrote:
fratropea wrote:
I send YOU the DEMO.
I am not much good one with the computer...
I hope to us it succeed!
In any case... good fortune!
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

How is it following these demos work for the poster but not for me? :angry
STILL not completing this room!
I don't have time for over-difficult rooms that insult my intelligence by making me feel a fool for not beating them!

(Ah well - bet that fabled Dreamplane place would be a wash-out anyway...) :(

[Last edited by DCLeadboot at 09-14-2010 01:30 AM]
09-14-2010 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
DCLeadboot wrote:

How is it following these demos work for the poster but not for me? :angry
STILL not completing this room!
I don't have time for over-difficult rooms that insult my intelligence by making me feel a fool for not beating them!

(Ah well - bet that fabled Dreamplane place would be a wash-out anyway...) :(

[Last edited by robin at 09-14-2010 09:44 AM]
09-14-2010 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DCLeadboot
Agh! Finally! I needed a clear head (it was getting late), a little encouragement - and I also needed to REALLY follow that demo stage-by-stage... at least for the first half.
Once the right side was completely cleared and I could reach the X to secure my progress... ;)

[Last edited by DCLeadboot at 09-14-2010 11:05 AM]
09-14-2010 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DCLeadboot
Heh, OK - I'll admit it... Dreamplane is certainly pretty interesting, now that I've finally got in there! ;)

Now I'll have to save up for "City Beneath", once I've regathered my cash... and patience... :lol

09-18-2010 at 12:39 AM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
I'm stuck here. Still working at it, but I have a question: Who designed this room? I want to send them a bomb. Er. I mean a cake.

Obviously I understand that a bomb is ridiculously disproportionate. I'm just expressing frustration.

Official Hold Progress:

04-09-2012 at 07:04 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Ummm...I think that would be me. Sorry...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-10-2012 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
FROST
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
After spending a couple days completing this room and seeing how much it is detested, I found it rather fun. This of course only due to the amount of good hints on it then choosing which would work best for me. At this point though I could care less about high score but I send kudos to those that do.

[Last edited by FROST at 11-17-2013 11:39 AM]
11-17-2013 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Aquator
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 405

File: JtRH-L22-3N-MyGodItsFullOfRoaches .demo (16.4 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+32)  
So, what with Nuntar's wonderful 5.0ification of this hold, this room now has a fairly difficult challenge.

If you don't have any idea how to go about it and you've also got nothing to do for a little more than 3333 turns, then this demo will show you how you could, but definitely not how you should, tackle this challenge.
It is the result of a desperate delver trying for hours to find a way where there should not have been one and as such my efficiency, especially towards the end, is sorely lacking. This is also an attempt at turning my own suffering into something that may, at some point in time, help or amuse a fellow delver.

[Last edited by Aquator at 05-06-2015 12:00 AM]
05-05-2015 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
JLE
Rank Points: 46
Okay. I completed this room (the "accepted" way - get out to the NW entrance and come back in to complete the room from there) a couple of years ago.

Now I'm trying for the challenge - complete it from the south entrance.

Anybody get a suggestion as to which order to attempt things in first? Clearly it's NOT "go for the brains", since the roach queens spawn a collective total of more than 30 roaches each turn if not killed, which means that if you go for one brain, you'll never get out again to reach the other brain.

So, at least a couple of roach queens must be killed - which probably means all of them - before going for the brains.

My initial thought is "go for the northeastern enclave at once so as to take the maximum number of roach queens before the next spawn can reach you": the other five chambers each spawn five roaches, but this one spawns eight. I however hit the following issue:

(1) If I wait for Halph to follow (5 more turns to get him in the room, and make him follow me), then I can make him sit in the entrance at (20,8) or (22,8), creating a point where only two roaches can get through at once. HOWEVER, the extra moves it takes me to do this, means that the queens in the chamber start spawning before I can kill them: and thus I have to kill off the 8 roaches that spawn, before I can kill any queens, and I only have time to kill 2 queens before the roaches from the remaining chambers enter the room.

(2) If I don't wait for Halph, I have to leave him at the entrance, and can't block the chamber entrance, so I have to face roaches coming from too many sides. I can kill 2 queens before they spawn, and the 3rd just shortly afterwards, after dealing with its spawn, BUT, the rest of the roaches get into the room, and I get forced back and back and never get the chance to reach the entrance without getting overwhelmed, and certainly no chance of getting to the other chambers...

(3) A third strategy that presents itself is trying to get into one of the southern chambers, kill off 2 queens, and get back out again and make a dash for the brains, finding a place to station Halph so that the remaining roach spawns can't pour through the entrances too fast... but I can't find the right place to stash him.
10-28-2016 at 06:55 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
I don't recommend starting with the northeast chamber. It spawns more roaches, but it also takes more moves to reach it, so you get overwhelmed on the first spawn cycle.

Instead, I did the challenge by

10-28-2016 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Rank Points: 46
Nuntar wrote:
I don't recommend starting with the northeast chamber. It spawns more roaches, but it also takes more moves to reach it, so you get overwhelmed on the first spawn cycle.

Instead, I did the challenge by

I tried that but I just can't seem to make it.

The earliest I can kill the two roach queens you mention is to kill the second one on turn 28, with sword pointing west? But with that done, I simply cannot find a way to do as you suggest...
10-30-2016 at 03:22 PM
runtly
Rank Points: 18
I just managed to complete the challenge by

05-31-2017 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 4 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com