Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Roachtastic! (A one level roach oriented hold.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
IP: Logged
icon Roachtastic! (+3)  
Its Roachtastic!

This isn't my first hold, but it is my first posted one.
I made most of it about half a year ago, and then went back and added and modified several rooms over the last few days.
I was originally planning on making this a single floor of a much bigger hold, but I think it may be large enough to stand alone as a hold.

It has 27 required rooms, although a few can be somewhat boring (basically pseudo-mindless hack and slash).

I have played through it so I'm sure every room is solvable, unless something small like putting a checkpoint in threw off a room's solvability.
This isn't meant to be mindblowingly original, but I think that it's fun to play and has some good rooms in it.
It's not too difficult, but it's hard to tell for sure, being the architect.

Comments and recommendations welcome and desired.
Please praise or denigrate it as you see fit.

Edit: Attachment removed. The newest version is at end of the thread.

Edit again: Changed optional rooms to required.

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 05:38 AM]

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 03:23 PM]

03-08-2005 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Roachtastic! (+1)  
This was a quite nice roach-themed hold, although a bit easy. A lot of puzzles were just hack 'n slash, but there were a few interesting ones. I couldn't find any severe bugs with the hold except the stairs-bug, and overall it seems very well tested. It wouldn't hurt to make this a multi-level hold...

Here's some room specific comments:
2N1W: The checkpoints are a bit inconveniently placed (at least when you play the room like I did). A checkpoint to the east of the doors would be nice.
Click here to view the secret text

1N1E: The red doors that are blocking the way to the SW chamber are a bit annoying, because they force you to walk through 1E and 1N1E every time you want to get to the southern parts of the rooms west of 1N1E (and rooms connected to those).
1E: This was a very nice puzzle!
2S2W: This was a fairly boring room. You could make it a lot more interesting by forcing the player to open the red doors before proceeding further into the spiral.

03-09-2005 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Thanks for the comments.

I fixed some of the problems that you mentioned:

2N1W: I had intended that orb to be used first. I guess I didn't think of doing it the other way. I changed it so you have to hit it first. I also added two more checkpoints.

1N1E: I got rid of the red doors. I really only had them for decoration. I know the order to do the rooms in so I guess I didn't think it would be inconvenient

2S2W:
This is probably my least favorite room in the hold. I think I can make it better, but I haven't figured out anything great yet.
I took your advice and added a red door so that you need to open it to continue. I still don't like this room much, so I may eventually replace it or give it a major overhaul.

I think I fixed the stairs bug, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right about how it should be be part of a bigger hold. I thought that it was fairly easy, but wasn't sure if it was just because I made it.
When I come up with enough new rooms, I'll add them on as the next floor. I may keep the roach theme throughout the whole thing, but I haven't decided yet.

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 03:27 PM: A few minor changes to make rooms required.]

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 07:41 PM: Removed attachment. New version below.]

03-09-2005 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rothro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Roachtastic! (0)  
Hi,

I get an error invalid attachment ID if I try to
download this hold. I'd like to try it...

Doh, now it worked. Must have been on my end. Sorry
to waste the bandwidth :blush

Cheers
Rothro

[Edited by rothro at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 03:29 PM]

03-09-2005 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
urban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
congratulations!!
great hold

urban
03-09-2005 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Roachtastic! (+2)  
I've found a trivial solution to 1E:
Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 06:05 PM]

03-10-2005 at 05:21 PM
vylycyn
Thank you so much for noticing it.
I think this version should fix it, I can't understand how I missed that. With the trivial solution in there the hold would have been much worse.

And urban, thanks for the compliments.

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 11:12 PM: Removed attachment. New version below.]

03-10-2005 at 07:38 PM
Stefan
It's possible to enter 2S1W from the west before you've completed it (and before you've completed 2S). This makes both 2S1W and 2S trivial.

I can't seem to figure out an easy fix for it though... Maybe put the passage to go to some other room instead?

The end stairs work now :)

03-10-2005 at 10:49 PM
vylycyn

File: Roachtastic.hold (16.2 KB)
Downloaded 188 times.
License: Other
I think I solved the problem.
It should now only be possible to solve 2S and 2S1W from the east.

<-- New Version Attached.

03-10-2005 at 11:11 PM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Very nice hold, thanks. I found 1N1E to be particularly fiendish. :D
03-11-2005 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Roachtastic! (A one level roach oriented hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com