Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : It’s a numbers game (News for H1 2024)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
IP: Logged
icon It’s a numbers game (+9)  
Exciting news is like waiting for the bus. You wait ages and then multiple show up together!

Time Fenix

Twisty Little Passages, Caravel’s puzzle book based on the gameplay of DROD RPG, is getting a spiritual successor, Time Fenix. Much like its predecessor, Time Fenix is a solo-only, fully resettable, puzzle-adventure resource management campaign game, and it's in board game format. Time Fenix improves and innovates on this formula in a number of ways. There’s vastly expanded play flexibility, increased player freedom with Metroidvania-style player progression, a deck of resource cards to manage, and more.

For more information, visit the forum thread and then head over to the Kickstarter preview page to sign up to be notified when the campaign goes live later this year.

DROD RPG 2

Twisty Little Passages isn’t the only Caravel RPG product to be getting a sequel! DROD RPG will be returning with a brand new full-blown adventure!

While we aren't ready to disclose too much at the moment, development is well underway. The project is being spearheaded by community members kieranmillar and hyperme. The game engine has been undergoing a lot of improvements, with many features from The Second Sky engine ported over, alongside some TSS features being given an RPG twist, plus brand new elements and features beyond those seen in the DROD RPG 1.3 alpha.

Keep on the lookout for new information as things develop. We're estimating DROD RPG 2 will release sometime in 2025.

Leaf’s Odyssey

We’ve really been enjoying "Leaf’s Odyssey", and we think fans of DROD will feel the same. It’s a stepping puzzle game by Alex Diener, a longtime community member and prolific DROD Let’s Player. The game has heavy DROD inspirations and its own forum thread with more information and player impressions. Leaf's Odyssey can be purchased from Steam and itch.io:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2880750/Leafs_Odyssey/
https://themsalltook.itch.io/leafs-odyssey

Entry Point

This massive DROD hold envisioned by forum member Nuntar remains in active development. The progress bar on this incredible creation has been steadily creeping upward and is now closing in on 99%! Given the unprecedented scope of this effort, there's still a lot to do, but I expect the team can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. If I were a betting man, I'd give good odds this long-running project could release sometime this year.

--Mike (with a big thanks to Kieran for wordsmithing most of this info!)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-25-2024 08:05 PM]
05-25-2024 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1236
icon Re: It’s a numbers game (+5)  
That's a great bunch of news items!

Although I haven't tried my hand yet at building Mac versions of RPG, please consider me available to help on that front when needed.
05-25-2024 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2337
icon Re: It’s a numbers game (+1)  
Ooh, exciting news, indeed! I'm absolutely stoked about at least three of those things, and the fourth sounds pretty neat too!
05-26-2024 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
icon Re: It’s a numbers game (0)  
Great news all round!

05-26-2024 at 08:52 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 172
Finally, the news you can use. What are the changes between the RPG 1 and RPG 2, though? Graphics, gameplay? If I could ask for anything for RPG 2, it would be renewable resources.
05-26-2024 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 617
A new official RPG levelset would be amazing!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

05-26-2024 at 07:33 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 490
I've used scripting to make it possible for a player to walk on top of closed doors in regular DROD. I've recreated accessories like the hand bomb, pickaxe, wall walking and warp token. I've even made doors that can be opened or closed with collectable keys. I'm up to the challenge of doing the same with the new elements.

05-26-2024 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2806
icon Re: It’s a numbers game (+2)  
Illusionist wrote:
Finally, the news you can use. What are the changes between the RPG 1 and RPG 2, though? Graphics, gameplay? If I could ask for anything for RPG 2, it would be renewable resources.
There is a changelog for the 1.3 alpha:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44991
RPG 2 will have all this, plus more that's not been revealed yet.

The 1.3 alpha will not get an official release at this point. In fact one of the primary factors for making a sequel is to get around a technical problem that was preventing the 1.3 alpha being released.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 05-27-2024 06:33 AM]
05-27-2024 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 490
I just noticed that this announcement is duplicated on the other site, but not every edition of the Illumination is. And the oldest one on the page is from 2020.

Is there some sort of criteria for which editions get that prestigious honor?

05-30-2024 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
Good news everyone! Plenty of nice projects going on. I loved DROD RPG and will be looking forward to the sequel.

[Last edited by The Architest at 06-30-2024 05:02 PM]
06-30-2024 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : It’s a numbers game (News for H1 2024)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com