Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: JtRH Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but JtRH elements)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged

File: 210 Levels of Terror JtRH Edition Levels 9 thru 16.hold (23.2 KB)
Downloaded 3 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 210 Levels of Terror: JtRH Edition (0)  
This is the same exact idea as 210 levels of terror AE Edition, complete with the same exact names for each level with some slight twists in some levels to acknowledge the change in elements introduced,

but each section, with 8 levels each except for every fifth section which will have 10 levels, is dedicated to a JtRH level rather than a KDD level, so expect some greater pizazz throughout the hold like scripted speech, secret rooms (only one so far), non-wall obstacles of different sizes and varieties, and more than one type of tiled floor.

However, just like the AE Edition is limited to AE elements and themes, this one is limited to JtRH elements and themes, so there will be no lighting or scripted challenges, and there will be no advanced scripting like going to an entrance, custom characters, or cut scenes, just the very basics of the 2.0 days.

The first four levels are dedicated to teaching the very basics of the first level/first half of it, and like for the AE Edition I will not post any further levels until the very first couple are tested so as not to not overwhelm the tester with too many things at once.

My plan in full for all the rest of the hold, in detail:

Click here to view the secret text

Note unlike my other holds, I limit myself to 1 Slayer max to make it more like the actual elements JtRH had.

The first couple of sections will be intentionally very easy, and won't be very hard/challenging until later on in the hold, just like how actual JtRH was.

EDIT 05/08/2024:

Added levels 5 and 6, which will be slightly harder because it's the later half of level 1 of JtRH.

EDIT 05/11/2024:

Added levels 7 and 8, which will be the hardest and require more strategic thinking and not just mindless combat.

EDIT 05/29/2024:

Added levels 9 thru 16, which will be harder than even level 8, the hardest level of section 1, especially given the introduction of roach queens.

[Last edited by azb at 05-29-2024 09:17 PM : 05/29/2024 Update. adding levels 9 thru 16]
05-07-2024 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: JtRH Edition (0)  
Does anyone know if the original voice actors listed in the credits when you ask for help in JtRH would be willing to do any lines, or are they not available or just not comfortable doing it and I can just have silent characters instead, which isn't the most engaging story wise but it can work?

The voice acting I did by myself doesn't sound 100% accurate to the original version, which is expected because my voice is built very differently than the original actors.

I know as always to keep working on my AE version of the hold as well, but I figured because I had some ideas for the JtRH version I could post a couple of quick levels, but I won't post the TCB version and further until the AE and JtRH versions are finished.

The TCB version will have more harder puzzles and fights, just like TCB from the official canon, and the TSS version will be hardest in terms of both fights/efficiency rooms and puzzles that require actual thinking.

The GatEB version will be intentionally super duper easy, even easier than these levels introduced now for the first couple of rooms then it will be around the level of JtRH level 5 for the middle sections, then JtRH level 8 for the very last sections, but never anything super duper hard like the last JtRH levels.

05-08-2024 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4705
The first four levels are good for the absolute beginner level you are going for. I don't see anything here that should be a problem to someone who hasn't played DROD before.

What's the point of the tunnels in the SW corner of To the Pain 2S? Just to show that tunnels can come in one-way pairs? But as there's no reason to interact with these tunnels, the player might well not discover that.

05-08-2024 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Thank you so much for all the insightful feedback, per usual!

I originally thought it wasn't possible to do that particular room without using those tunnels when designing, but discovered it was easily possible after playtesting.

I kept it as is because I wanted the player to have multiple solutions this early in the game, but if the player stumbles upon the first solution trying to reach the set then it's not really necessary which makes sense.

05-08-2024 at 11:53 AM
azb
Okay, now levels 5 and 6 are posted - level 5 has its own rooms that are not re-used from the AE edition, but level 6 has the entrance exactly the same as the AE edition's 6th level entrance with no changes whatsoever, and 1E is like AE edition's 1E except it has two tunnels placed in a specific manner to demonstrate how to use tunnels to block large monster hordes, in addition to the additional pizazz the AE version didn't have (the usage of more than one floor type).

1W, however, is its own room but I made sure to make it fit the theme - large roach hordes you need to outwit cleverly to survive.

As mentioned before, level 7 will introduce force arrows and level 8 will introduce door toggle puzzles to manipulate roaches, like the AE edition's level 8 but with tunnels added and with more pizazz in its presentation.

05-08-2024 at 12:24 PM
azb
And obviously this won't come until much later, after levels 59 and 60 are tested, but level 62 will be about simple fun after everything else you've seen before that level, just like in all the other versions, so I will revise that in the full plan in the first post.

[Last edited by azb at 05-08-2024 12:34 PM : "Revise" is the proper spelling and not "Re-vise"]
05-08-2024 at 12:34 PM
azb
Once I reach level 15 and if the original voice actors want to help out, I am using the Imperial defender/'Neather with a sword character to replace the Negotiator to make a character that actually interacts with the puzzles rather than just talks to you mindlessly, so I will have the voice actor for the guards voice act that character as well.

05-08-2024 at 01:17 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2793
I think it is outstandingly unlikely you will get any of the original voice actors to help out. Looking at the credits list online it seems to be a mixture of friends of the devdlopers from 20 years ago who likely aren't around on these forums regularly and actual paid professional voice actors and I imagine you aren't willing to pay.

Not to say it's impossible, but I think you need some realistic expectations here.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 05-08-2024 02:20 PM]
05-08-2024 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
That does make sense.

My vocal range is too limited to do impressions with 100 percent precision; does anyone else who has either played through all 25 levels and/or watched others play through it like on Let's Plays, wish to do any voice acting?

I can have only one voice actor do all roles if they are talented enough.

05-08-2024 at 03:19 PM
azb
Hi everyone,

I have drafts of all the way up to level 24/the end of section 3 finished, so all the demo of JtRH, including two secrets in section 1 and 1 secret in section 2.

Does anyone have any feedback on levels 5 and 6 so I can publish levels 7 and 8 for feedback and testing?

05-09-2024 at 01:44 PM
azb
Now I have drafts of all the way up to level 38, which is just going to be like the AE Edition's level 38 but with wubbas added, and same deal with level 37 directly before it.

Levels 33 and 35, however, have their own rooms because they introduce wubbas gently. Level 34 is the same deal as levels 38 and 37; it's the AE level 34 with wubbas added that makes the puzzles have different solutions.

05-10-2024 at 08:49 PM
Nuntar
Not Too Hard (L5): Pretty good, simple introduction to crumbly walls and their effect on combat rooms. 1N1E shows when it's better not to break any crumbly walls. 1S2E is pretty easy to solve without breaking any, although if the player is struggling they have the option to carve out a hiding-place.

Don't Get Shot (L6): Entrance is one of those rooms where I'm glad I'm not playing in the JtRH engine, as the battle key makes this so much quicker.

1E can be solved in two ways: hiding behind the tunnel, or hitting the orb twice so there are less roaches to deal with at once. Both good linchpins.

1W can also be solved in two ways, retreating to the tunnels and using them to pack the horde more neatly, or just taking the horde head-on. This is also not bad, but I would prefer if the tunnels were inverted (i.e. the west one faces west and the east one faces east) so that you don't lose the ability to step inward off the tunnels.

05-11-2024 at 12:28 PM
azb
Thank you so much for the feedback!

I will definitely revise the things you said need revising, and I will add levels 7 and 8 - they will involve more strategic thinking rather than just being combat puzzles like levels 5 and 6.

On top of that, sections 2, 3, and 4 will be much more harder than section 1's hardest levels, just like in the original JtRH levels, but section 2 will still be relatively easy.

05-11-2024 at 02:08 PM
azb
I have drafts of up to level 44 complete now. Again, I know to publish only 2 levels at a time and don't publish any more levels until after every level before it is fully tested and commented on.

05-13-2024 at 02:54 PM
azb
Okay, now I have up to level 50 drafted.

Levels 47 thru 50 will be the most complicated compared to earlier levels, although levels 15, 23 and 24 push it too.

05-14-2024 at 01:27 PM
azb
I have levels 51 and 52 drafted now as well.

I am thinking to introduce taking more than one invisbility potion cancels the effect in level 53, and use that gimmick for the harder hordes in levels 54 and 57.

Everything after level 57 though, I feel the details are already pretty spot on to the original JtRH progression.

05-15-2024 at 03:21 PM
azb
Okay, I have up to level 58 drafted now.

I decided to only use the gimmick of invsibilty turning off when you take more than one potion in level 53, and use only one potion for each room a potion is used in levels 54 thru 58.

However, the invsibility cancelling effect will be used later on in the hold, when the puzzles get even harder - section 7 just introduces invisibility like JtRH level 7 did.

05-19-2024 at 09:16 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 66 - nothing in section 8 uses invisibility I decided, so that way the puzzles emphasize serpents and orthosquares more, but level 72 will use lots of invisibility puzzles that depend on your knowledge of the fact picking up multiple potions cancel the effect, just like in the AE edition.

Levels 73 and 74 will involve lots of tricky Slayer puzzles that aren't just "mindlessly run away from the Slayer" like in section 3, just like levels 64, 65, and 66 do.

Then, the Slayer won't be used as a puzzle element until all the way in level 134 for only one room, then starting in level 143 he will be used more often again.

05-20-2024 at 01:20 AM
azb
Now I have up to level 84 drafted - note some levels are just like the AE edition's counterpart, just with some JtRH elements, like level 73 is literally just AE version level 73 with a Slayer added.

This is intentional, because the extra elements involved make the room work differently than the version that used only AE elements.

05-20-2024 at 11:55 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 88 drafted.

Note the secrets will have the same dialogue as the secrets from the original levels, so for example section 10's secret will have 39th Slayer taunting you but not actually chasing you, and section 11's secret will have the mysterious voice in the pits chanting "Moth'ness Ti!" and Beethro saying something like "hush/shut up" at the end of the puzzle.

05-27-2024 at 03:02 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 96 drafted. Note that level 96 will have not only the tar technician, but also a secret leading back up to section 10, in the same exact way that the original JtRH level 12 had both of those things.

05-29-2024 at 02:47 PM
Nuntar
Branched Path (L7): Good level, I like the simple linchpins (especially in 1E; spotting the cracked wall in 1W was a bit too simple!) and the fact that each room stops after it's made its point and doesn't try to do too much.

Stop 'N' Go (L8): Good manipulation tricks in Entrance, with each part of the maze being slightly different. Unfortunate that the hardest part is at the beginning, but sometimes you can't avoid this. Personally, I would have made the N/S tunnels face outwards to avoid the annoyance of accidentally going through the tunnel when you meant to step off, but considering the E/W tunnels do face outwards, maybe this is intentional and you want to help new players notice the difference, in which case that's great.

Nice simple linchpins in 1W and 1N1W, although the latter doesn't really need that many roaches to make its point.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep releasing the levels two at a time. Feedback is going to be slow in any case; the community is pretty slow in general these days, now that the post-TSS buzz is a long way behind us; and speaking personally, when I do have feel like taking a break from other things and playing through a bit of your hold, it would be nice to have more than two levels to look at (especially when we are still in very easy territory).

05-29-2024 at 06:25 PM
azb
Okay, that sounds like solid feedback. I will release eight levels at a time, so it's like a full level of the original hold being referenced.

I will correct the tunnels in Level 8 Entrance so they are less annoying; please continue the great work for levels 9 thru 16 that are gonna be posted soon, introducing Halph and roach queens, and the levels in general are gonna be harder than section 1.

05-29-2024 at 08:51 PM
azb
I have all the way up to level 100 drafted, complete with stairs leading up to a secret back in section 10 in level 99, just like in JtRH level 12 had a secret back in level 10 using level 12's concepts.

06-18-2024 at 02:03 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 112 drafted, so all of section 13 and half of section 14 are drafted now as well.

[Last edited by azb at 06-20-2024 01:33 AM : Specify I was drafting the sections mentioned, not publishing]
06-20-2024 at 01:32 AM
azb
Now I have up to level 125 drafted, complete with stairs leading back to level 108 to rescue Halph from the clutches of the Goblin King, just like how in level 15 of the original you had to go back to level 13 to do the same exact thing.

Other major story points in later levels will be:

Level 127 will have the Pit Thing doing multiple voices to scare Beethro, level 153 will have the Pit Thing stating the Empire burned down the Roasted Roach Grill and is training Halph to be an Architect, level 169 will have Halph running past Beethro stating how the Architects approached him, level 192 will have the Slayer announcing over the PA how sections 24 and 25 are on red alert, level 200 will have the Pit Thing doing the Monty Python thing and the last Runner of the hold telling Beethro the Slayer is waiting for him on level 201, and finally level 210 will have you kill the Slayer for good and have Halph betray you, as well as the Pit Thing taunt you for the last time about how you'll never make it in the Empire.

06-26-2024 at 03:47 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 134, the end of section 16.

Just like JtRH level 16, it's not just all rattlesnake rooms, but they are all challenging regardless of whether they have rattlesnakes or not.

However, per usual I know not to post levels 17 thru 24 until levels 9 thru 16 are tested and commented on in detail, to ensure the hold is the highest quality possible and not doing speed architecture having the mentality of "I am too busy making new levels to improve my current ones".

06-30-2024 at 09:53 PM
azb
To recap:

Level 17 will be a tunnel challenge level

Level 18 will be a Slayer intro

Level 19 will be a "choose left or right, but
you can't do both at the same time"

Level 20 will have tons of narrow corridors

Level 21 will be about fancy footwork, or being careful where you step

Level 22 will have clutter everywhere

Level 23 will be a roachy maze

Level 24 will be a harder maze with more
monsters and non monster things than Level 23

07-07-2024 at 12:34 AM
azb
My ideas for the next levels after that to recap are:

* Level 25 will introduce trapdoors

* Level 26 will be manipulating monsters on trapdoors

* Level 27 will be roach queen hordes made easier with trapdoors

* Level 28 will introduce red gates

* Level 29 will be "don't strike the orb" rooms

* Level 30 will introduce evil eyes

* Level 31 will have very tricky evil eye puzzles, as well as blue tiled custom floor

* Level 32 will have the same gimmick as the AE edition level 32

* Level 33 will introduce wubbas

* Level 34 will be "go around the level in a specific order, while doing tricky puzzles" like AE Edition level 34

* Level 35 will have small rooms that make dealing with wubbas and roach queen hordes trickier

* Level 36 will have the same gimmick as AE Edition level 36

* Same idea for level 37

* Level 38 will be like AE Edition level 38, but add wubbas

* Level 39 will be the hardest hordes yet

* Level 40 will have four mini chambers in each room

* Level 41 will be a sample of puzzles in later sections

* Level 42 will focus on Halph dealing with wubbas

* Level 43 will introduce Rock Golems

* Level 44 will have tons of one way paths, but not as filler/trivial as the AE Edition idea of the concept

* Level 45 will be tons of rock golem chaos

* Level 46 will be monster manipulation puzzles

* Level 47 will be tons of tunnel puzzles

* Level 48 will re-introduce the Imperial Defender from level 15

* Level 49 will have tons of trapdoor and golem puzzles

* Level 50 will be tons of breaking crumbly walls to release golems, while the Slayer harasses you

However, as I stated in my AE thread I think it would be wiser to concentrate on finishing all 210 levels of that hold first before making more levels in this hold or the other 3 versions, as that is the one that gets the most feedback anyway.

07-17-2024 at 05:59 PM
azb
Now I have up to level 143 drafted - when we get there section 17 is intentionally gonna be easier than section 16, just like JtRH level 17 vs 16 in the original hold I am referencing.

Again, however, before I publish more levels I am going to focus on getting comments on and finishing all the rest of the AE Edition.

07-18-2024 at 04:12 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: JtRH Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but JtRH elements)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com