Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds (0)  
Hi,

This isn't really a bug, but it's impossible to delete a hold once it's created. There really should be a way to do so.

Also, and an actual bug - the "rename hold" button doesn't work; it prompts me for a new name but doesn't actually change anything.

I'm running build 16 on Windows XP.

[Edited by eytanz on 06-15-2003 at 07:09 AM]

06-15-2003 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds (0)  
Actually, it is possible to delete a hold by selecting it and clicking the delete button. Same goes for levels and rooms.

As for the bug you mention, I have no problems with renaming holds. However, it seems that the game refuses to rename King Dugan's Dungeon if what you enter is longer than the current name. I'll put it in.

Edit: Tested a bit more. The game won't rename a hold if you only append characters at the end of the current name.

[Edited by Watcher on 06-15-2003 at 01:15 PM]

06-15-2003 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds (0)  
Watcher wrote:
Actually, it is possible to delete a hold by selecting it and clicking the delete button. Same goes for levels and rooms.

Thanks - but I would recommend (probably for future versions) adding a button to do so, since having to switch from the GUI for new holds/renaming to the keyboard for deletion is really non-intuitive.

Eytan

06-15-2003 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Re: Re: Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Thanks - but I would recommend (probably for future versions) adding a button to do so, since having to switch from the GUI for new holds/renaming to the keyboard for deletion is really non-intuitive.
I agree that it's non-intuitive. I made it this way on purpose because I really want deleting to be a conscious decision. Just ask anyone who's erased hours or days of work with a single button and they'll tell you they wished it hadn't been so quick and easy to do. This is my rationale. What do you think?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-15-2003 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds (0)  
I don't think making it hard for people to figure out how to delete holds really helps. All you're doing is adding a hurdle for people who are new to the editor - people experienced with the editor will just press DEL as readily as they would press an on-screen button.

If you want to make sure that hold deletion is deliberate, I would add a delete button, and then have a confirmation screen that can only be affirmed with the keyboard (i.e. "are you sure? Type "YES" to delete the hold", which only accepts the fully word "YES" rather than just 'Y'). This makes it impossible for anyone to delete anything by mistake/out of a moment's impulse, but won't make newcomers to the editor have to run to the manual to figure out how to do so when they really need to.

06-15-2003 at 08:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Deleting/Renaming holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com