Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : moon: Remix RPG Adventure (Surreal adventure game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon moon: Remix RPG Adventure (0)  
It's occurred to me this game I've been playing might interest a few people who frequent this forum.

The title of the game is just "moon", but it also has the subtitle as in the thread title. Here's the steam page and it's also on Switch. The word "RPG" in the game's title is basically just theming; there are no RPG mechanics here that aren't actually just adventure game mechanics.

It's a fascinatingly weird adventure game wrapped up in a bunch of frustrating, irritating mechanics and design choices. There's a stupid, pointless energy system where you initially die if you walk or stand around for two minutes without going to bed, but which rapidly becomes irrelevant after not very far into the game. There's all kinds of unnecessary slowness to just plain playing the game: Unnecessarily slow walking, clunky interface, slow animations, cutscenes that play every time you do a particular thing that you'll need to do several times. But buried under all of that is an overall really intriguing experience with some really good puzzles in it. There are bad puzzles too, though.

The graphics feel to me like a mixture of surrealist art, claymation, and early-playstion-RPG kind of graphics. It reminds me of a few different particular games but still stands out as something all its own. I don't know if I can say for sure that the good outweighs the bad for me personally, but my intrigue to keep playing has been enough for me to push past some severe annoyances and ignore certain flaws. Maybe you will find some of the things that annoy me to be atmospheric or intriguing, though.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-11-2022 04:10 AM]
05-11-2022 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: moon: Remix RPG Adventure (0)  
Was this really a PS2 game from the 90s or is this a Petscop deal?

05-12-2022 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: moon: Remix RPG Adventure (+1)  
As far as I know, this is a regular modern game which released December last year. It has some very "sprite-based/pre-rendered background" kind of PS1-like graphics, but the only other thing I would say it has in common with Petscop is that the word "caught" that pops up on screen when you catch something looks sort of similar. Well..that, and the existence of some puzzles whose solution boils down to "sit around and wait until the thing happens", but here it's waiting like, a few real-world minutes at most, not entire real-world days.

Anyway, I don't really see the use of this kind of graphics as particularly petscop-esque; it's just a further evolution of indie games using retro-styled graphics, only the retro is up a generation from your typical SNES-game imitator.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-13-2022 01:12 AM]
05-13-2022 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Delpolo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: moon: Remix RPG Adventure (+2)  
I've been aware of the game for maybe a decade now through TVTropes wikiwalking (specifically, the energy timer until you pass out being brought up a lot, hah), as well as a few years ago Toby Fox praising it, and Wikipedia says it was published (in Japan only) in 1997 so nope, not a Petscop deal.

Really Really Long A Thon recently did a 100% run of it too and I caught bits of it, it's definitely obvious that it's inspired Undertale. Nice that it's finally been localized.

[Last edited by Delpolo at 05-13-2022 01:16 AM]
05-13-2022 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Now that is interesting. I didn't think a game like this would actually exist for the PS1; there's just something about its overall design that feels very 'modern/retro-style indie' to me. Makes me wonder if moon actually played a part in inspiring Petscop instead.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-13-2022 09:42 PM]
05-13-2022 at 09:34 PM
Xindaris
Well, I finished the game now. My advice, if you choose to play it, is do not try to get 100%. There is no reward for doing so, and some of the tasks necessary are exceedingly frustrating and unpleasant.

Anyway, something else I found out from the wiki while looking for clues on the last few things is that this game shares some staff with Super Mario RPG for the SNES, which really made the vague familiarity I felt about the overall aesthetics and mood of the game make a whole lot more sense. That's what it reminds me of: If you took that game, removed the Mario and gutted the RPG elements, and added a lot of waiting around for things to happen. A whole lot of waiting around for things to happen.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-05-2022 02:29 PM]
06-05-2022 at 02:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : moon: Remix RPG Adventure (Surreal adventure game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com