Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Night in the Woods (Emotional, character-driven adventure game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Night in the Woods (+3)  
https://store.steampowered.com/app/481510/Night_in_the_Woods/
Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, maybe others

I don't know all the right game genre definitions. What is this game? There's a term "walking simulator" that probably applies. But I hate the snarky reductiveness. To call a masterpiece like What Remains of Edith Finch a "walking simulator"... it rankles.

There's no puzzles in this game. There's a light collection of action sequences that are consequence-free. No matter what you do, you'll get through them and proceed onward.

For the most part, you're just walking around talking to anthropomorphic animals. And if you're trying to skip past the dialogue to get to the meat of the game, you're definitely doing it wrong - because that is the meat of the game.

I feel compelled to write about this game, because it's something different than what it looks like on the surface. You're thinking "softcore horror game with cute characters". But it's a deep game focused on things that happen to people in real life. Maybe 5% of the game is Scooby-Doo-style mystery-solving.

The scariest thing in the game for me was the pending conversations that the main character, Mae, chooses to avoid. And I was right to be afraid. Mae, a young college dropout, returns to her hometown in a desperate way. There's a near-constant layer of charm and playfulness that covers up her problems. Occasionally, things poke through that layer, and it's not pretty.

One argument between Mae and her mother frigging gut-lumped me. I mean I was close to crying. I stopped playing the game for a bit and found some standup comedy to lighten my mood.

I don't play games to feel bad. Why am I playing this game?

There's insight about life in it. Like all great novels, the author had a little truth to lay out about what it's like to be a human. And a story was the best way to say it.

This story talks about:
* how "simple" decisions we expect a person to make the right way can internally be very complex
* how people hide things, especially from those they love
* how parents make difficult sacrifices that are often unappreciated
* how good people come with flaws
* how love and loneliness are expressed in unusual ways
* how economic conditions are something people don't choose but can still be the main thing affecting their happiness

It's just loaded with this truthy-lifey business without beating you over the head with it. Big ideas, artfully and playfully presented.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-10-2021 11:28 PM]
08-10-2021 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Night in the Woods (+2)  
NitW is, in my opinion, a game with writing that far surpasses anything I've seen in a video game so far. I could sing praises to it all day, but probably my favourite aspect was how despite my life and childhood not resembling Mae's at all, I constantly had this feeling of... How to say it... Feeling deep connection and empathy, as if I WAS reliving parts of my life and struggles. It resonated with me strongly despite not having much to resonate with.

Or maybe it did but I only felt it subconsciously?

The game does a great job of making you feel familiarity, as if her life experiences are your life experiences.

08-11-2021 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Night in the Woods (0)  
skell wrote:
NitW is, in my opinion, a game with writing that far surpasses anything I've seen in a video game so far.
Agreed. The best lines for me are when characters hit on something that's elusive but has a ring of truth to it. Mae talks about how this group of older working class townfolk are like moths around a light (the town's vitality) and the light is suddenly turned off. Which makes them like lost moths wondering where to go.

There were times when I just stopped playing and thought for a few minutes about something a character said. They all talk in this unpretentious, teenagerish way, and every once in a while drop a bomb on you. The writing is wonderful.

The game does a great job of making you feel familiarity, as if her life experiences are your life experiences.

Definitely.

For myself, there are a lot of tangential experiences in my life that don't line up exactly. E.g. a relative's son coming back home when they can't pay rent, or hanging out with some union members and listening to their old historic songs. I think there were so many details that were connected convincingly for me, that the story hit a credibility tipping point early on. I knew I was in good hands.

-Erik

08-11-2021 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Night in the Woods (Emotional, character-driven adventure game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com