Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
IP: Logged
icon Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room (0)  
So then I thought, what if there was a script command that could remotely modify the clear/unclear state of any room in the hold? Like maybe in your hold's story, the player first visits a level before it gets infested, but then monsters show up later. Why force architects to build a separate version for that first visit?

07-28-2021 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1064
icon Re: Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room (+2)  
I'm going to cut straight to my main problem with this idea: It's a very complicated solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

If you want to visit a level, then "revisit" it later with monsters, you can just make the monster-infested version, then copy over the rooms you want and remove all the monsters. In comparison, setting up a script to preemptively clear all the rooms, then another to de-clear them is probably going to take the same amount of effort, if not more. For any other rooms you want to de-clear, you have seeding beacons.

07-28-2021 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room (+2)  
I'll add that, even if you really, really want it to be the same actual level, it really isn't too hard to set up scripting that tests for a particular variable and zaps all the monsters away if that variable has a particular value.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-28-2021 08:59 PM]
07-28-2021 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
icon Re: Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room (0)  
The problem with the seeding beacon solution is that re-infesting requires the player to go in and out of the cleared room so that they can find the monsters on their next visit. And if you're doing a lot of rooms at once, it'll lead to a boring cutscene of the camera going from room to room just to watch a beacon be built.

07-28-2021 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room (0)  
But I mean like...you can just put an inaccessible active seeding beacon in the room to begin with, have scripting attack tile kill all of the monsters on the first pass (but leave the room in an "uncleared" state) and then have the script not do that when the player returns and maybe have it deactivate or destroy the beacon instead. The only "price" is the presence of the seeding beacon, but that's...like 1-4 tiles of room space used up, maybe?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

07-29-2021 at 01:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Script Command: Clear/Reseed Room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com