Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : SummonerRL (A traditional roguelike about conjuring animals)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon SummonerRL (+5)  
I realized that although I've posted many other games I've made on this forum, I never posted this one. And it's a far bigger project than anything else I've made too. If you ever wondered what I've been doing for the last six or so years, I present you with SummonerRL.

https://nymlus.itch.io/summoner

This is a traditional roguelike that takes inspiration from ADOM and Brogue, but with an emphasis on companions. It was conceived as an attempt to address certain common issues with companions in these and many other roguelikes - they are often stupid, hard to control, and simply less interesting than the main character. We were hoping to create companions that are not only strong fighters but pleasant to work with as well.

SummonerRL uses a "pet modifier" interface where all basic commands can be used on pets by holding down CTRL or SHIFT while pressing the button. For example, pressing (U)se while holding CTRL will use an item on your first companion, while holding SHIFT will use it on the second. This can be combined with advanced techniques such as contextual commands (using the look command on a space and then giving commands related to that space) to enable detailed control of your team in high stakes situations. Most of the spells in the game have synergies with companions, such as using the pet's location as the origin for an area-targeted effect, or by casting buffs and debuffs to enhance their effectiveness in combat.

This game is a collaboration between myself and Clawdragons, a good friend of mine. I write all of the game's code, while she designs the familiars, monsters and items that populate the dungeon. There's a community discord server which you can find at the bottom of the itch page; we had an unexpected visit from b0rsuk last year and he talked our ears off for a couple of days and then vanished as quickly as he arrived. If you ever see him, tell him I said hello! Currently the game is being distributed for Windows and Mac, with source code available on request, though I am told that the Windows version should also be playable through Wine.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-08-2021 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: SummonerRL (0)  
Congratulations for finishing such an ambitious game!

-Erik

06-08-2021 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : SummonerRL (A traditional roguelike about conjuring animals)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com