Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Steps to Buy a Game in Steam
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Steps to Buy a Game in Steam (+4)  
I just went through a harrowing experience that I would not wish on anybody - Buying a game in Steam.

1. Go to Steam client.
2. Forgot my password.
3. Clicked the button to reset it.
4. "Are you a human? Which of these squares contains a bus?" (There's always one square that is so ambiguous. Like the tailpipe of the bus barely extends into a square.)
5. Receive a code at my email. Enter that into Steam client.
...OKAY NOW WILL YOU RESET MY PASSWORD?...
6. "Your account is special and you have to talk to us about maybe submitting a request for potential resetting of your password possibly."
5. Remembered that my frigging password manager had the password.
6. Attempted logging in again with the correct username / password.
7. "This is a super strange computer that you haven't logged in with for maybe 6 months. It's time for more two-factor, buddy!"
8. Copy and paste the verification code AGAIN.
...I AM LOGGED INTO STEAM. CELEBRATE!!!!...
9. "But actually we really do need to reset your password since you put in that earlier request."
10. Put in the password.
11. Put in the confirm password.
12. Update my password manager.
13. Go to title I want to buy.
14. Click "buy".
15. There's an empty form for credit card info. It doesn't auto-fill because its not a web browser. I don't want get my physical wallet right now.
16. Choose PayPal.
17. Look up the PayPal password in my password manager.
18. Payment goes through. Game downloads.
...I NOW OWN THE GAME. CELEBRATE!!!...
19. Click "install" button.
20. A popup pops up... "Upgrade your steam client now?!?!? We pretend we're asking, but we're really telling."
21. Steam client exits, upgrades, restarts.
22. Log in to Steam again. Ah! It saved the password. Nice.
23. Find new game in Library.
24. Hit Play.
...I SEE THE GAME ON MY SCREEN. IT IS PLAYING. OHHHHHHHH I HAVE YEARNED FOR SO LONG...

Stupid Steam. This is why I mainly do console gaming.

-Erik

05-17-2021 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Steps to Buy a Game in Steam (+1)  
I'm having a similar, but worse, experience with trying to log in to a particular google account. Specifically:
-Be demanded to send a verification code to my email because google doesn't recognize the device.
-Receive the code, copy and paste it in.
-Have a phone number demanded of me for no apparent reason whatsoever, despite the fact that my having a phone number I've never told google before cannot possibly prove my identity in any way.
-I'm not giving google my real phone number, so I go get a free temporary one from one of those type of websites.
-I enter the verification code from that number.
-google refuses to log me in anyway, because "someone else might be trying to use my account".
-It says to try again later or on a different device. No amount of later or different device resolves the problem.
-Shortly thereafter, I get a "critical security warning" in my email that points to links I can't reach because I can't log in to that google account. Because I, the owner of the account, tried to log into my account.

So basically, google is arbitrarily locking me out of my own account for absolutely no reason, indefinitely, even though I have the correct email address.

...Anyway, the one thing that might have saved you a tiny bit of pain is that you can the purchasing on the website (through a normal browser) and then install it in the client. In general, steam gaming is one of those "momentum" type things that's much easier if you've been doing it recently. But GOG, itch.io or Humble (for the few purchases there that aren't just steam keys) might be a better experience?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-17-2021 02:51 AM]
05-17-2021 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Steps to Buy a Game in Steam (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
I'm having a similar, but worse, experience with trying to log in to a particular google account.
Collective rage... rising!
steam gaming is one of those "momentum" type things that's much easier if you've been doing it recently.
Yeah, I think that is the crux of it. When I'm in the habit of playing on Steam, it works better.

-Erik

05-17-2021 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Xindaris wrote:
Anyway, the one thing that might have saved you a tiny bit of pain is that you can the purchasing on the website (through a normal browser)
There was a time a couple months ago where Steam's website was demanding two factor authentication Every. Single. Day. for about two weeks.
05-17-2021 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
Ah. I sidestepped that whole thing using winauth. So, for me..the "other factor" is on the exact same computer as I'm logging in with.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

05-17-2021 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Steps to Buy a Game in Steam (+1)  
Wow, I can totally relate to this experience. But taking the time to catalog it and write down all the steps? Now that's just reliving the pain. Why? WHY?!?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-25-2021 12:11 AM]
05-25-2021 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
mrimer wrote:
But taking the time to catalog it and write down all the steps? Now that's just reliving the pain. Why? WHY?!?
That's an excellent question. The word for me might be "crank".

-Erik

05-25-2021 at 01:26 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Steps to Buy a Game in Steam
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com