Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Doctorate! (wow.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged
icon Doctorate! (+15)  
I don't talk very much about what's going on in my real life most of the time, which is pretty much intentional. I tend to be kind of paranoid about mixing my "online self" of Xindaris with my "real self", even though both are really very much the same person. But this bit of news, I do want to actually share.

I think between chat and rambling during streams, I've made various allusions to classes, working on research, teaching and grading tests. The fact is, when I first started seriously playing DROD was toward the beginning of my graduate school career of pursuing a PhD in mathematics. I properly joined the forum a ways into it, but still 5+ years away from its end.

Anyway, over the last couple of years I've been diligently chipping away at a dissertation on some obscure topic in algebra I don't want to explain in detail here. And, last Friday (April 30), I defended that thesis orally before a group of professors at my university, and it was approved. I won't officially have a diploma until late July/early August, but even so, I have for most intents and purposes achieved a doctorate in Mathematics. It's pretty weird to find myself at the end of something this long-winded, although it doesn't feel like an end exactly because now I'm searching desperately for postdoc-type jobs.

Anyway, this forum has been one of the few online/social places that I regularly frequented from the day I joined until now, all throughout those years of study. DROD, and this community, have been among my sources of relaxation and sanity that have helped me get through it all. I'd like to thank anyone who ever helped, encouraged, or criticized anything I've done around here, because you probably had some contribution to that, one way or another. Our active memberlist isn't very big, I know, but this forum is certainly a fine community to be a part of all the same.

Uhh...that's it, I think. I don't really know how to conclude this post, so

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-08-2021 12:56 AM]
05-08-2021 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: Doctorate! (+2)  
Kickass!

Yeah, I started DROD in early grad school too. It’s sort of a thing.

05-08-2021 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Congratulations! Quite an impressive feat and a definite proof of perseverance. I personally had to drop out of my PhD because it drained too much of my energy, so I admire anyone who makes it through. Best of luck on your job search :)
05-08-2021 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: Doctorate! (+4)  
Congratulations!

As a (almost) fellow colleague, I can understand how tough it was and the uncertainties on the future. I will defende my PhD dissertation in civil engineering next month, thus concluding a 4 year period which was really hard. I was not that active on the forum, but I always enjoy peeking around and have a look at the latest holds and news.

Good luck for the future!

05-09-2021 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Doctorate! (0)  
Dischorran wrote:
Yeah, I started DROD in early grad school too. It’s sort of a thing.
Me too!

Big congratulations, y'all!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2021 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379

File: you-gonna-die.png (594.4 KB)
Downloaded 250 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Doctorate! (+5)  
Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-10-2021 at 11:28 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Doctorate! (+1)  
You will need to change your nickname to Dr Xindaris.
(Or maybe you should add glasses to the character in your avatar)

My father wanted me to do PhD, but I've chosen to make money instead. But who knows, if the vanity gets the better of me, I might get a PhD in economics (which is my field) in the very far future

[Last edited by Illusionist at 05-11-2021 03:04 PM]
05-11-2021 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Disoriented: Ha! That's funny.

When someone asks me if I'm a doctor, I never know what to say.

You'd think they would have prepared you for that...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-25-2021 at 12:16 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: Doctorate! (+6)  
I am bumping this thread to share that starting from this week I am also officially a PhD :thumbsup

And finally, after a very long time, I have extra spare time, and today I started playing Drod again!
I look forward to Entry Point, Treacle Stew, and (hopefully) an hold that I am planning to finish since 2015 (brutally interrupted by an hard disk failure, which I HAVE to save now).

I am currently playing King Nareik's Dungeon hold (AE elements) to get back the good old feeling of solving puzzles. However, which recent (easy-medium) hold would you recommend to get the feeling back for ALL puzzle elements?

07-15-2021 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Doctorate! (+1)  
DROD Touch. Except it's not a hold, but it's totally worth the experience :).

Also congrats!

07-15-2021 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Doctorate! (wow.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com