Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Stepping down from dev team (I guess it is more of a formality at this point?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Stepping down from dev team (+15)  
Last year I had this amazing time where for 2 months I did a lot of DROD development. It was great, it was almost enough to get the amazing 5.1.1 release and get a few awesome features to 5.2. Unfortunately my fixation on the development ended as suddenly as it started and since then I only managed to touch the code once - a few weeks ago I tried to push myself to get 5.1.1 out the door.

I really tried, but I can't. Working on TSS was loads of fun. Making Flash DROD was awesome. Being part of this community for over half of my life shaped me as the person I am.

I am no longer able to have a healthy relationship with the community, the game and, most importantly to me, game development in general, if I am constantly feeling guilt. Guilt fueled by the sense of obligation to get the new version released. Guilt fueled by the fact that, it seems, in half a year since I stopped working on DROD the 5.1.1 release has not moved an inch.

So... I will not be doing any DROD development in the future. I will not be implementing new features. I will not close any new bugs. I will not do any work in prepping 5.1.1 release. For all intents and purposes I am no longer a DROD developer. It's not a temporary hiatus, it's permanent and likely forever. Unless I become a millionaire and can work on DROD for fun.

I will gladly share any know-how I have that's required to push the release out the door.

Instead I hope that I'll be able to once again interact with the community, finish my awesome hold, finish my game, make Flash DROD playable (somehow), do stuff.

I guess that's all? This point might be more for my benefit that anyone else's, so, uh, sorry for taking my sweet time. Hopefully this will unblock finishing the next version :).

tl;dr You can no longer blame me for 5.1.1 not being released yet, because now I am officially not working on DROD ever again, freedom!

05-06-2021 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (+3)  
It sounds like you're doing the right thing, though I'm sorry it built up to a larger negative situation for you. I wonder if this is similar to how I felt when I left Caravel.

Anyhow, I wish for you... lightness!

(You know... that feeling when nothing seems very heavy.)

-Erik

05-06-2021 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
Thank you for all the work you put into DROD and DROD related products. And for the help you gave me when I was just starting with messing around with DROD code.

Things change, people change, and if you're doing what's best for you, I don't think anyone can fault you for this decision.

05-06-2021 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
There's no way to thank you enough for all the awesomeness you've put into DROD.

Definitely hope you're able to focus your energy on projects that are more uplifting to you.

luckily for us DRODfolk, it sounds like you still have plenty of fun DROD-related projects to play with.

We love you skell :kiss
05-07-2021 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (+1)  

05-07-2021 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (+1)  
I played through The Second Sky years ago, didn't encounter any game-breaking bugs. So all is good. ;)

Still thank you for your ongoing support so many years after release. I am sure others really valued the small subtle differences in movement order. :)
05-09-2021 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I appreciate the update, skell. I am grateful to have worked with you and witnessed your genius skills firsthand. It was a pleasure, and I'm so glad for the hundreds of improvements you made to the game, as well as Flash DROD, levels, the invaluable test harness, and your other personal creations.

Also sorry to see you're feeling guilt about your involvement and experience. I don't wish that for you. I certainly get that volunteer contributions and close, prolonged involvement with a community one holds dear creates an unusual dynamic and bittersweet feelings.

A sentiment I've heard about graduate theses or research projects is they are never really completed, only abandoned. DROD is such a thing. We could continue developing it forever, and it will never really be "done". There are only arbitrary checkpoints we set for ourselves, patting ourselves on the back when we reach them, and then setting the next stake in the ground. There must needs come a time for rest and for other things to take precedence.

I've been inundated with so much of what Real Life brings over the past six months that I haven't been able to contribute much myself. I carry along feelings about the situation myself, but that's just how life goes, and we still need to live. When I have personal time to focus again, I'll work on getting these releases out the door. Thank you for teeing up 5.1.1 and 5.2 so nicely.

I feel blessed, being a part of this community, knowing it exists, knowing you, and having jointly contributed and been a part of all this for a good part of my life. I appreciate you. I hope you can remember this part of your life's past years as a blessing, with fondness and satisfaction.

Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-10-2021 09:10 PM]
05-10-2021 at 08:58 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (+2)  
RIP Skell

Oh wait, this is not an eulogy thread. The tone of this thread felt mournful. Sorry. What I've meant is that Skell is a legend. Without Flash DROD, I wouldn't be here (if that counts :glasses)

I still do wonder if DROD could be translated into a mobile app game?

[Last edited by Illusionist at 05-11-2021 03:23 PM]
05-11-2021 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (+2)  
Thanks everyone for all the kind words :). It certainly feels better to visit the forum now, without having the constant nagging at the back of my head.

05-12-2021 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Stepping down from dev team (0)  
skell wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the kind words :). It certainly feels better to visit the forum now, without having the constant nagging at the back of my head.
Welcome back! Now, please enjoy your time here, as intended :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-24-2021 at 11:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Stepping down from dev team (I guess it is more of a formality at this point?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com