Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Seep smuggling
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
FeedtheGentryii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
IP: Logged
icon Seep smuggling (+2)  
I noticed that you can actually move a Seep from one wall to another, completely unconnected wall via pushing and a mimic. Has this been used in a canon hold?

03-12-2021 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Seep smuggling (0)  
No, because the only hold published by Caravel after pushing existed was TSS itself and it's not in there.

There are a few rooms about this interaction in usermade holds, however.
03-12-2021 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
FeedtheGentryii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Dragon Fogel wrote:
No, because the only hold published by Caravel after pushing existed was TSS itself and it's not in there.

I see... I wonder if it'll be in Treacle Stew. It's gotta be in Advanced Interactions, right?

03-12-2021 at 11:43 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Seep smuggling (+2)  
Speaking as someone who legitimately doesn't know (I have access to the beta but have not played it), I bet it'll be in Entry Point somewhere.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-12-2021 11:55 PM]
03-12-2021 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
FeedtheGentryii wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:

I see... I wonder if it'll be in Treacle Stew. It's gotta be in Advanced Interactions, right?

My understanding is that Treacle Stew is centred around tarstuff. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be non-tarstuff rooms in there too but unlike JtRH, TCB, TSS etc, Treacle Stew is likely to be much more thematically unified and so interactions like this might not be included. There are many many many arcane interactions in DROD (including a bunch with Seep which I'd argue are more funky than this one) and a hold which includes all of them would be absolutely huge.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-13-2021 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
My favorite funky seep interaction is that they can go through hold complete and master walls, even once you've completed or mastered the hold, so there's a tile that both Beethro and a seep can walk on.

Official Hold Progress:

03-13-2021 at 09:54 AM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
However, I don't think that kind of mechanic is good for puzzles, because it breaks the general rule of "no hold status dependent weirdness in a puzzle mechanic" - most of the interactions are limited to a level (like blue doors) or room (the rest) dependency.

Global variables for story control or global monster/weapon scripts are different, since most of the time they aren't used to change a puzzle entirely.

03-13-2021 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
azb wrote:
However, I don't think that kind of mechanic is good for puzzles, because it breaks the general rule of "no hold status dependent weirdness in a puzzle mechanic" - most of the interactions are limited to a level (like blue doors) or room (the rest) dependency.

Global variables for story control or global monster/weapon scripts are different, since most of the time they aren't used to change a puzzle entirely.

A hold which relied on this mechanic might not make it through the HA process. Although it'd probably be something we'd have to discuss.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

03-13-2021 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
IIRC, demos do not record if master wall is stepped on. So yes, HAs would probably reject a hold reliant on that. You could makethe postmastery area locked behind that kind of puzzle, but it'd be a case-by-case thing.
03-13-2021 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Seep smuggling (+3)  
In case anyone is interested, this interaction has been used in at least two user published holds so far.

This room in "Delay"

And this room in "Decadent in Chrysalis"

I think that's all, but there may be more in recent holds. It's a pretty cool trick.

03-13-2021 at 04:24 PM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Considering that people still find some quirks in the game mechanics after all these years, I wouldn't be surprised if it was abused somewhere else more, albeit this one might be underused, because seeps like spiders, don't seem to be fan-favorite villains.

As of Treacle Stew, I didn't check it myself, because I don't want to spoil it for myself, please remember that puzzles were made by Chaco:D (unless I misread something). So if you're familiar with his holds, you know what to expect ;)

But then again, the community did change since JtRH and TCB days, so I expect more gel / objects-interaction oriented puzzles, rather than hack and slash rooms like in the past. But I don't know anything, it's only an assumption of mine.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 03-14-2021 01:40 PM]
03-14-2021 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Seep smuggling
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com