Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Tyrian (another masterpiece of 90s)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
IP: Logged
icon Tyrian (+2)  
This thread is about another game that I hold dear to my heart

Tyrian is a shmup, but it's a masterpiece.
Imagine a hamburger, only made out of the finest meat, buns, sauces, and lettuces.
That's tyrian

Tyrian not only looks goods, and has great soundtrack, which you can listen to separately, there is a jukebox exe that lets you listen to the music. Tyrian has everything, and most infamously, it has secrets.

Game has two secret hardmodes for those who don't think that game is hard enough (and it's challenging, sometimes very).

Game has secret game (scorched earth clone, and a very good one, so good that I've played it more than the actual game)

Game has a plot, which you can get through collecting the cubes

Game has cool upgrades system - you can degrade / upgrade / sell your gear, without loss, and change it any time you want, plus the game has secret upgrades to make the game more fun. You can modify the system how you want, and you can shoot bananas, if you want to

Beautiful art. Nuff said

The game was so beloved that it had a remaster, called Tyrian 2000

The game is abandonware now, and the authors allowed people to use the sprites of their game, which I remember from some weak flash games in the early 00s

People very often mention raptor as the PC shmup of the 90s, but Tyrian? Tyrian is a .... legend. Every part of this game is a delicately crafted masterpiece. You have to play it to believe it. I feel like they created a game because they wanted to play it themselves, not caring about the money, because the game was a flop, which makes me doubt humankind.

If you haven't play it, download it right now, it's free, albeit I would love to pay the money to the creators, because they deserved every penny for this masterpiece

a good commentary
https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-classic-commentary-tyrian-2000-with-alexander-brandon/

Your thoughts? And please no "I don't like shmups" comments. That's not appropriate here. This game trandescends shmups. I was so excited about writing this game, that I probably forgot to mention many things. But I hope that you get the idea. It's a masterpiece, play it

[Last edited by Illusionist at 02-14-2021 08:04 AM]
02-14-2021 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: Tyrian (0)  
Thanks for posting the review. I played Tyrian 2000 and loved it! Great memories and nostalgia.

I like good shmups. I recently played through Jets'n'guns 2 and had a blast. (No pun intended. :) )

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-21-2021 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Tyrian (another masterpiece of 90s)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com