Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Omori (now THIS is a GAME.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Omori (+2)  
First, here's the link to the game's website, it's available on steam.

Okay, now, uh..I haven't felt this excited to be playing an RPG since CrossCode, but for completely different reasons. I've been playing for some 3-4 hours and just finished what the game terms the "prologue". What I can say without spoiling things is that the game involves exploring some kid's dream world, which is full of imaginative places, bright and cheerful characters, and uh..some very, very dark things. And there is a very good reason for those dark things to be in said kid's psyche, which I think is obvious not far into the game. There's a pretty big content warning right at the start which the game does not waste.

The game does that neat thing that only RPGs seem able to do where the mechanics, skills, and stats of characters are a direct representation of their personalities and the relationships between them. The game has some unique and interesting mechanics, including a system which I would describe as a "status effect version of elemental rock-paper-scissors". The combat hasn't been too difficult for me so far, aside from a bonus boss that I think I walked into a bit early (but still managed to beat with a good strategy and a tiny bit of luck). But's all very well-designed overall.

The artwork is amazing, and there is a lot of it; I think the dev is originally an artist, and that shows in the same way that Undertale makes it very obvious its dev was a musician for a long time. I didn't hear about this game until right as it came out, but apparently it was in development for 6-7 years. The music is also stellar.

I sincerely hope that someone who does let's plays would be interested in LPing this game because I think seeing someone else's reactions to just the bit that I've played so far could be amazing.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-10-2021 05:58 AM]
02-10-2021 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Omori (+1)  
The game at first reminded me of OFF for some reason (probably because I was listening to the soundtrack recently). Then yume nikki. And maybe Pleasure Island RPG.

It seems like mixing dream worlds + rpg = fan following.

I recommend checking the website, it has some hidden surprises

I guess I have to add it on my "to play" list
02-11-2021 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Omori (+1)  
The comparison to Yume Nikki isn't unfair, but Omori is much more of a "linear RPG" in overall structure (a positive for me; I enjoy exploring but I want to feel that there's a purpose for it), and when it comes to being an RPG about exploring the player character's dreams, it does something which basically no game I've heard of inspired by Yume Nikki does. Where I am in the game is right after the "prologue" ends, and that's where it does it.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-11-2021 06:12 PM]
02-11-2021 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Omori (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
The comparison to Yume Nikki isn't unfair, but Omori is much more of a "linear RPG" in overall structure (a positive for me; I enjoy exploring but I want to feel that there's a purpose for it), and when it comes to being an RPG about exploring the player character's dreams, it does something which basically no game I've heard of inspired by Yume Nikki does. Where I am in the game is right after the "prologue" ends, and that's where it does it.

Judging from what I've played so far, this game is more like OFF, only less creepy. Yume Nikki was an unfinished RPG game that ended up being mysterious for the sake of it (because it was unfinished). This game has a purpose, but I have a feeling that I will have my heart broken. IF you never played OFF, you certainly should, you will have an "aha" moment, like with this game. Albeit, the tears will follow afterwards

Good game, though. I really really like it so far

[Last edited by Illusionist at 02-12-2021 10:36 PM]
02-12-2021 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Omori (0)  
Glad you're enjoying it so far. I also happened to see statements somewhere that the creator was inspired by undertale, which tracks pretty well with when the game started being developed. In fact, toby fox contributed a song to the game apparently! I would say that tone-wise, this game doesn't wear the "unease" on its sleeve immediately the way OFF does. It's buried deeper, which in some ways makes it much more unsettling. The bright lights make the dark shadows feel deeper, in a way. They also all three have a common ancestor of sorts in the Mother series.

Also, small fun fact:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-13-2021 12:37 AM]
02-13-2021 at 12:31 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Omori (now THIS is a GAME.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com