Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (A swiss army knife of sorts.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (+5)  
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/

It's an open source collection of puzzle games that has been ported to Android, Mac, PC, Linux, probably others. You can play the games on the web at the link above too.

Simon curated, rather than invented, these games. None of them are particularly remarkable. There's many old classics like Blackbox and Sudoku (Solo). I recognize about half of them from playing somewhere else before. The strength is having them all in one collection, particularly on my phone, which makes them perfect for a variety of situations - sipping on my morning coffee, double-screening on the couch, etc. And this is free, open-source software, devoid of ads, freemium nonsense, or all the nasty brainhacks that push you to play. If you are addicted to these games, it is on their own appeal.

Each game is cosmetically minimal - no animations or flash. Most of the games are deductive in nature, asking you to use logic to winnow down the possibilities to a single solution. There are extra "tools" in the interface to help with deduction, e.g. "locking" a state to show it as solved, adding notations that describe possibilities. These tools feel elegantly designed to be just what you need - not much more or less. I've had some moments where I wished for a Kaser-style "what if" feature to explore hypotheticals. But then I wondered how much of a crutch that would be, preventing me from good rule-making.

"Rule-making" - What I call my process of making general rules to solve puzzle types. It is a good thing to solve one puzzle. It is a better thing to make a new rule. For example, on the "Towers" puzzle, I made a general rule for myself that an edge tile of "3" will always begin with a possibility of that tile containing "1", "2", or "3". A puzzle is solved with an individual solution. A *game* is solved when you've made enough rules that finding solutions are just applying those rules in an effortless way.

While these games are not an epic experience, they are a nice complement to my life giving me calm fun and occasionally insights about how I think that I can apply to other things.

-Erik

11-17-2020 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (0)  
Yes, this app is great. Been on my android phone for a long time now, and it's brilliant. You probably won't like every puzzle but there's something for everyone.

I'm a big fan of Signpost personally.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 11-17-2020 06:14 PM]
11-17-2020 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
greenscience
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
Signpost is also one of the ones I used to play often along with Towers, Bridges, Galaxies, Tents, and Undead. I would have played Net but was used to more complex variants so never bothered trying it.
11-17-2020 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (+1)  
Signpost grew on me. But at first, it seemed so tedious. A lot of the games in the collection seem that way at first - Towers, Dominosa. And then you figure a few things out. I've learned to give each game an honest try before judging it.

-Erik

11-17-2020 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (+2)  
It's no substitute for proper handmade puzzles, but Loopy is pretty neat for having tons of different shapes for Slitherlink grids instead of just being squares every time.

11-18-2020 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: 2solutions.png (56.1 KB)
Downloaded 946 times.
License: Public Domain
Unfortunately, there isn't always a unique solution.

11-18-2020 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kargaros
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
Someone Else wrote:
Unfortunately, there isn't always a unique solution.
But... the top one isn't a solution (as shown by the red number 5 having only four marked edges).
In my experience "Loopy" always constructs puzzles with unique solutions. Whenever I think I have a counter-example, it turns out I made a mistake somewhere.

This property also makes "Mines" one of the best variations of Minesweeper -- you are guaranteed to never need guessing. "Mines" always generates puzzles that can be solved using only logic. (Note: you might need to consider the total number of remaining mines.)

11-18-2020 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (+3)  
Additionally, the fact that there can only ever be one solution can sometimes be used to figure out the next step!

11-18-2020 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
I also love Simon Tatham's puzzles.

I have seen multiple solutions a couple of times in Net puzzles (with wrapping both times I think).

I haven't seen that in any other type of puzzle. As skell says, it's another tool in the box for solving them! :)

I keep playing different ones, but possibly my most played now are
- Loopy
- Galaxies
- Undead
- Net (with wrapping, without it it's quite easy to solve, although it's fun sometimes to just take a really big one and slowly solve it).
- Pearl (some of them quite easy, especially in small boards, but it's fun to try to solve by drawing long guessing lines or guess all of it in a single go)

11-23-2020 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
Bombadil wrote:
I have seen multiple solutions a couple of times in Net puzzles (with wrapping both times I think).
I haven't seen that in any other type of puzzle.
Black Box can also have non unique solutions (full instructions shows an example).

My biggest complaint right now is how few work well with touchscreens. (I'm actually trying to learn enough Javascript to see if I can fix that myself.)

I'm still learning about these, and currently Galaxies is hitting my sweetspot for challenge vs frustration.
11-23-2020 at 11:05 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yes, yes, nthing the support for this collection. It's lightweight, easy to install, and goes on either your main desktop/laptop or your phone with ease.

My favorites are probably Loopy, Pattern (basically procedurally-generated Picross/Nonogram), or recent addition Train Tracks.

I always considered it a good project I'd like to make open-source contribution to, if I were ever between jobs - but you definitely have to be even more of a mathematical wizard to write a puzzle generator or solver than you do just to solve individual puzzle instances.

11-24-2020 at 01:06 AM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
I also am enjoying this and am glad this thread pointed me too it.

But, like Kalin, some of these are fussy on touchscreens and others are too small to play properly (at least at the largest sizes) on a small screen. Curiously, I've found that if I'm holding my device in landscape, rather than portrait, some of the touchscreen problems resolve themselves. It can still be fiddly to make the 'hold for right click' work properly, but I don't find myself accidentally ending up back on the puzzle select screen when I was trying to swipe a line from the left edge.
11-24-2020 at 12:33 PM
Bombadil
Kalin wrote:
Black Box can also have non unique solutions (full instructions shows an example).

Interesting! I didn't know that.

Gordius wrote:
But, like Kalin, some of these are fussy on touchscreens and others are too small to play properly (at least at the largest sizes) on a small screen.

I agree... especially when clicking on edges in a grid, I need to redo a lot of them.

I don't know if that works in all the puzzles, but you can zoom in/out by pinching (and I believe drag with two fingers). It's not great as you stop seeing the full puzzle, but for some pullzes where you can solve parts of it with "local information" it helps a bit.
11-25-2020 at 02:33 AM
Gordius
Pinching didn't work for me on iOS and, trying it right now, still isn't.
11-25-2020 at 09:04 AM
Bombadil
Gordius wrote:
Pinching didn't work for me on iOS and, trying it right now, still isn't.

Oh, must be only on Android then... :(
11-26-2020 at 11:17 AM
Gordius
That's probably it. I can't even play, for example, 15x15 Galaxies, because I just fat finger everything and throw walls on every segment near where I'm trying to work. I'm sure it would be fine on a tablet, but the phone is too small for the largest sizes of various puzzles.
11-26-2020 at 01:12 PM
daveola
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13

File: Slant.90x120.Hard.20200514.png (366.5 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
Gordius wrote:
That's probably it. I can't even play, for example, 15x15 Galaxies, because I just fat finger everything

Oversized Tatham's puzzles is one of my favorite topics! :)

The iphone version of Tatham's puzzles does allow zooming, maybe you are playing a different version - consider checking out "PuzzleManiak" which is one iOS version of Tatham's puzzles. That's how I manage to solve ridiculously large puzzles, for example, the attached Slant is a 90x120 on hard (I'm working on one 50% bigger, but it keeps causing my phone to crash, so I've had to move to my computer... bummer).

EDIT: Evidently I can't post links/images since I'm a new user, but you can find it if you google "davepics puzzles slant"

[Last edited by daveola at 02-12-2021 06:25 PM]
02-12-2021 at 06:20 PM
ErikH2000
This collection keeps giving me more things to like. I started playing Filling a few weeks back, and it's my current favorite.

Each game starts with me figuring out what *must* be true. And after a bit, I run out of these confident assertions. Then I have to switch to finding what is *probably* true.

Somebody with a more powerful brain probably can stay in the first mode of thinking the whole time. But my "what if" modeller makes too many mistakes to picture a hypothetical board in my head.

Filling seems very graceful in letting itself be solved with good guesses. And if a guess is wrong, it is enjoyable to fix it because the root cause of a problem on the board is typically close to the problem. Contrasted to Looping or Dominosa, where I'm likely to just restart the board rather than undo/backtrack.

Yeah, I really like the two parts of solving it.

-Erik

02-18-2021 at 10:30 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
ErikH2000 wrote:
This collection keeps giving me more things to like. I started playing Filling a few weeks back, and it's my current favorite.

Each game starts with me figuring out what *must* be true. And after a bit, I run out of these confident assertions. Then I have to switch to finding what is *probably* true.

Somebody with a more powerful brain probably can stay in the first mode of thinking the whole time. But my "what if" modeller makes too many mistakes to picture a hypothetical board in my head.

Filling seems very graceful in letting itself be solved with good guesses. And if a guess is wrong, it is enjoyable to fix it because the root cause of a problem on the board is typically close to the problem. Contrasted to Looping or Dominosa, where I'm likely to just restart the board rather than undo/backtrack.

Yeah, I really like the two parts of solving it.

-Erik
Yeah, Fillomino is good and has a bunch of hand-crafted puzzles out there as well. See https://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/category/regiondivision/fillomino/

02-18-2021 at 10:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (A swiss army knife of sorts.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com