Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : DROD development has been blown wide open (Our news for October)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon DROD development has been blown wide open (+7)  
Hi! Hope you are doing well. We have some wonderful news to share with you.

DROD development has resumed and is open-sourced

Caravel has some great developments to share on the, ah, development front. We have fully open-sourced client-side development of the DROD and DROD RPG games on Github.

https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod

If you are a developer, you can grab a copy of the source to build the game engines in the latest versions of Visual Studio, or maybe build it on other platforms. This process is now much, much simpler to do than ever before. More details on DROD's open source development are here:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5922&page=7#435207

You can follow changes we are making to the codebases in realtime on Github. Feel free to contribute your own bug fixes and improvements to the games!

In that spirit, you will see that we are working on updated versions of DROD and DROD RPG. Long-time community members skell, hyperme, kieranmillar, slimm tom, and others are jointly volunteering dozens of excellent contributions to the games. There are minor version patches in the works as well as major version updates with some new game features forthcoming for both DROD and DROD RPG. There are too many changes to delve into them all here, but you can follow notes on the changes in these Caravel Forum topics:

DROD:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44738

DROD RPG:
https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44739

I personally deeply appreciate their contributions to making the games that much better. You can test drive the latest alpha dev builds as they are posted to these forum topics, and stay tuned for news on publishing of official updates!

The Godkiller Wants Playtesters

An early alpha version of The Godkiller will be released before end of the year to a select group of playtesters. This is a new 3D puzzle-solving game from Erik Hermansen, the creator of DROD. The game has the same stepping mechanics of DROD, but brand new game elements and a different story world. Erik guarantees that it will include more staircases than any other game in existence. He has some obsession over staircases, it turns out. If you are interested, check out http://seespacelabs.com/the-godkiller/ .

Where in the Eighth Contest

How well do you know Beethro's world, the Eighth? Erik is running a contest starting today. It features 3D versions of DROD rooms. You have to identify which DROD room the 3D version corresponds to. There will be a series of increasingly helpful hint videos revealed over the course of four days. Hints will be time-released with the first one dropping today, October 2nd. Do your best! https://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44755

Stay safe, and happy DRODing!

- Mike

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by Schik at 10-02-2020 03:55 PM]
10-02-2020 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
icon Re: DROD development has been blown wide open (+3)  
Super nice to see support for DROD will continue besides just new holds via SMS! Now would be a good time to fix those bugs in the Steam version where Steam tries to de-update the SMS holds "Beethro's Teacher" and "Complex Complex", by the way--I didn't see that mentioned in the patch notes.

Also, if I may ask, will we ever see new elements added in these?

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-07-2020 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: DROD development has been blown wide open (0)  
Camwoodstock wrote:
Super nice to see support for DROD will continue besides just new holds via SMS! Now would be a good time to fix those bugs in the Steam version where Steam tries to de-update the SMS holds "Beethro's Teacher" and "Complex Complex", by the way--I didn't see that mentioned in the patch notes.
Hi! Yes, I want to correct these issues. I have that jotted down.
Also, if I may ask, will we ever see new elements added in these?
That's within the realm of possibility. Current development is mostly focused on adding new scripting capabilities in the next major version. Extensions to some basic RPG elements are also being considered.

10-07-2020 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Almo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Woa... Erik calls it "drahed". I always say "Dee Are Oh Dee"! :D

Great seeing news on his latest project.

12-02-2020 at 03:41 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD development has been blown wide open (+1)  
Almo wrote:

Thanks, Almo! Ain't got time for four syllables. Years of my life would be wasted speaking individual letters.

-Erik

12-02-2020 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Almo
ErikH2000 wrote:
Almo wrote:

Thanks, Almo! Ain't got time for four syllables. Years of my life would be wasted speaking individual letters.

-Erik

Haha, yeah true. Good luck with your new project, looks like it's turning out really well! :) Taking DROD's turn-based control/interaction system is really cool. The animation dressing works well to make it look nicer.

12-02-2020 at 08:12 PM
mrimer
"When things are crucially important, it doesn’t matter if you take a long time to say what they are." - A1

12-03-2020 at 12:22 AM
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
Almo wrote:

I always pronounced it kinda like "Drawed"... That might be a fun poll actually, see how the DROD playerbase pronounces "DROD", but that's well besides the scope of this thread.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
12-04-2020 at 04:04 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD development has been blown wide open (+5)  
I was often unsettled about "DROD".

The acronym signalled the ungraceful shift from small, self-contained game to larger story-based game. "Deadly Rooms of Death" wasn't compatible with stories, sequels, plot, drama. And then "DROD" to sweep some of the silliness under the rug.

But then I think of all the stupid Final Fantasy title names, and I feel much better.

-Erik

12-04-2020 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
Doored, clearly.

12-04-2020 at 09:26 AM
RabidChild
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: DROD development has been blown wide open (+2)  
Camwoodstock wrote:
Almo wrote:

I always pronounced it kinda like "Drawed"... That might be a fun poll actually, see how the DROD playerbase pronounces "DROD", but that's well besides the scope of this thread.
There actually was a poll about that a few 17 years ago.
12-04-2020 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Almo
RabidChild wrote:
There actually was a poll about that a few 17 years ago.

I went and voted! I'm among ~3%...

12-07-2020 at 03:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : DROD development has been blown wide open (Our news for October)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com