Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Where in the Eighth? (Contest rules and discussion.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Where in the Eighth? (+8)  
How well do you know DROD? I got this special collection of images to show you. Can you tell me where they are from?

The Rules

I’ve recorded twelve "hint" videos that will progressively reveal information about three different rooms. Each video shows a single room from one of the official Caravel holds. But the twist is that these are 3D representations of DROD rooms made with The Godkiller, my new game under development. So you won’t see the familiar 38x32 representation from DROD, but rather a reimagining of the original room.

To succeed in the contest, you want to post your guess to the submission topic as soon as you feel confident about your guess. The earlier you post, the better, as you’ll be competing against others based on speed. But you only get one guess for each of the three rooms. If your first guess for a room is wrong, it can’t help you win the contest.

Your guess should include the room number you are guessing for, the name of the hold, the name of the level, and the room coordinates. So for example, you could post in the submission topic:

Room Two is from GatEB, Outer Walls, 1E

The videos will be released at 8 hour intervals beginning October 1st. Yes, it’s likely videos will be released while you are sleeping or busy. I’ve tried to stagger the release times so that everyone has a chance.

The first set of videos will be very difficult to use for making a correct guess. We’ll continue to release new videos for the same three rooms that show more features and make it easier to guess.

Winning

The contest ends when the last hidden message below is revealed. That will be October 6th or 7th depending on your timezone. And then each participant who made guesses will be scored as follows:

* 8 points - Your correct guess for a room is posted earlier than anyone else’s.
* 4 points - Your correct guess for a room is posted within 24 hours of the first correct guess.
* 2 points - Your correct guess for a room is posted before the contest concludes.

Only correct guesses can win you points. Since you can make three guesses (one for each of the rooms), your total score will be the sum of points awarded for all three guesses. That indicates it’s possible to score anywhere from 0 to 24 points.

In the event of a scoring tie, ranking among same-scoring participants will be determined based on forum account creation date, favoring more recent forum members above their seniors.

Thoughts on Strategy

I wrote about five paragraphs here and then realized I was cheating clever players out of some fun. Let me just say a few things that will help you decide your own strategy.

* There are moments where being fast after a hint is revealed can help, but don't give up if you aren't able to guess within minutes of a reveal. Think about the total score.

* It will be very hard to guess a room from the first hint.

* Let's Play videos and Hints and Solutions can be good references.

I hope you enjoy this contest!

-Erik

The Hints

Room One - First Hint

Room Two - First Hint

Room Three - First Hint

Room One - Second Hint

Room Two - Second Hint

Room Three - Second Hint

Room One - Third Hint

Room Two - Third Hint

Room Three - Third Hint

Room One - Fourth Hint

Room Two - Fourth Hint

Room Three - Fourth Hint

Contest end - no guesses accepted after message below is revealed.
Pencils down!

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-06-2020 10:48 PM]
09-27-2020 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Where in the Eighth? (+2)  
Wow, I'm excited to make another DROD contest. It's been a while!

I'm also paranoid about botching the hide tags or Youtube links. I think I'm good. But if anyone somehow gets past my precautions, it would be great if you play the contest as intended.

-Erik

09-27-2020 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
icon Re: Where in the Eighth? (+1)  
You mentioned that the rooms will all be from official holds. Does this mean that you're only using rooms from the 5 main holds, or could you have picked some rooms from the Smitemaster Selections?

[Last edited by IQubic at 09-27-2020 03:40 AM]
09-27-2020 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
That reminds me, has anyone noticed that the "room style" for most of the Godkiller levels Eric has shown on stream looks suspiciously similar to Mosaic Frost?

09-27-2020 at 03:34 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Where in the Eighth? (0)  
IQubic wrote:
You mentioned that the rooms will all be from official holds. Does this mean that you're only using rooms from the 5 main holds, or could you have picked some rooms from the Smitemaster Selections?
Maybe SMSs. Not saying definitely either way.

-Erik

09-27-2020 at 06:23 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Where in the Eighth? (+3)  
averagemoe wrote:
That reminds me, has anyone noticed that the "room style" for most of the Godkiller levels Eric has shown on stream looks suspiciously similar to Mosaic Frost?
Oh, man. I went through a whole process to plan out that style. You mean I coulda just copied a DROD room style?

-Erik

09-27-2020 at 06:26 AM
averagemoe

File: Where.png (1.4 MB)
Downloaded 883 times.
License: Public Domain
By the way, that level you went through a few streams ago that you made vague statements about having plans for reminded me of this.

Spoiler:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-28-2020 06:23 PM]
09-27-2020 at 08:02 PM
ErikH2000
averagemoe wrote:
By the way, that level you went through a few streams ago that you made vague statements about having plans for reminded me of this.
Ah! You gave away one of the rooms. I actually deleted that stream, but clearly, I ought to have been more careful. I will make a replacement level for the third room.

But now I can use that room as an example room to give people an idea of what they're getting into. See if you can guess it without looking at AverageMoe's solution in secrets.

-Erik

Example Room - First Hint

Example Room - Second Hint

Example Room - Third Hint

Example Room - Fourth Hint

09-27-2020 at 08:53 PM
averagemoe
Great. Maybe you can put that stream back up now.

09-27-2020 at 09:14 PM
ErikH2000
averagemoe wrote:
Maybe you can put that stream back up now.
The stream is back up. ("Three Little Bugs") And I created a new Room Three with recorded videos linked in the original post. All is in order.

-Erik

09-28-2020 at 12:45 AM
averagemoe
I hope for your sake it's not the GatEB menu background.

09-28-2020 at 01:15 AM
ErikH2000
First hint coming in about 2 hours! I'm getting excited.

-Erik

10-01-2020 at 10:50 PM
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
It seems you don't have the submission topic set up properly, I was able to see averagemoe's reply.
10-02-2020 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Dragon Fogel wrote:
It seems you don't have the submission topic set up properly, I was able to see averagemoe's reply.
EDIT:
Actually, I couldn't delete the original because it had replies. I kinda don't know how to unmess this up. Thinking about it.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-02-2020 03:18 AM]
10-02-2020 at 03:14 AM
ErikH2000
Okay, I've created a new submission topic, which is here:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=44772

I am not 100% sure that it won't do the same thing as the previous submission topic though. If someone would post a test message on the new topic at the link above, we can maybe check that it hides messages.

-Erik

10-02-2020 at 03:22 AM
averagemoe
Does the guess I made still count? I'd hate to be disqualified on a technicality beyond my control.

10-02-2020 at 03:32 AM
averagemoe
I deleted my post from the original submission thread. See if you can delete the whole thing now.

10-02-2020 at 04:06 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
I made a test post - I thought averagemoe might have made one, but he didn't say so explicitly so I wasn't completely sure.

So this is me saying explicitly that I made a test post so people can confirm they can't see it.
10-02-2020 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Dragon Fogel wrote:
I made a test post - I thought averagemoe might have made one, but he didn't say so explicitly so I wasn't completely sure.

So this is me saying explicitly that I made a test post so people can confirm they can't see it.
Okay, thanks! If anyone viewing the topic sees less than 3 posts then I made a working submission topic.

-Erik

10-02-2020 at 04:17 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I just see yours. Appears to be working.

10-02-2020 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
averagemoe wrote:
Does the guess I made still count? I'd hate to be disqualified on a technicality beyond my control.
It counts!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-02-2020 05:33 AM]
10-02-2020 at 05:25 AM
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Oh boy, I wish there was a little more time to guess.

[Last edited by Illusionist at 10-05-2020 06:08 PM]
10-05-2020 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Illusionist wrote:
Oh boy, I wish there was a little more time to guess.
As I write this, there is 20 more hours! See the last "untiltime" tag which marks the contest close.

Good luck!

-Erik

10-05-2020 at 08:21 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
I think the contest has now ended but the embedded YouTube video that has been revealed does not appear to be working. Could you have a look Erik :)

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

10-06-2020 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
navithmastero wrote:
I think the contest has now ended but the embedded YouTube video that has been revealed does not appear to be working. Could you have a look Erik :)
Same issue is occurring for me.

10-06-2020 at 07:07 PM
ErikH2000
That was basically a copy-and-paste mistake. But there was no final video - just some text that said "Pencils down!"

-Erik

10-06-2020 at 10:23 PM
ErikH2000
Wow! I forgot how good DROD people are at figuring out things that should be impossible. I was truly surprised at how little people needed to make correct guesses. All but the third room were guessed within minutes after the first hint. Amazing!

In case anyone wants to try post-contest guessing, I'll secret the answers to the three rooms below:

Here is a log of the correct guesses: (all times in PDT timezone)

Sept 27th
12:02pm Averagemoe guessed Example Room (formerly know as “Room 3”) (0 points)

Oct 1st
~6:30pm Averagemoe guessed Room 1 (8 points)
8:38pm Chaco guessed Room 1 (4 points)
9:56pm Rabscuttle guessed Room 1 (4 points)

Oct 2nd
1:02am Navithmastero guessed Room 1 (4 points)
1:03am Averagemoe guessed Room 2 (8 points)
3:40am Rabscuttle guessed Room 2 (4 points)

Oct 3rd
9:03am Averagemoe guessed Room 3 (8 points)
11:14am IQubic guessed Room 1 (2 points)

Oct 4th
7:34pm Nuntar guessed room 1 and 2 (4 points)

Oct 5th
7:01am Navithmastero guessed room 2 (2 points)
10:23am Illusionist guessed room 1 (2 points)
4:02pm IQubic guessed room 2 (2 points)
5:19pm Chaco guessed room 2 (2 points)
6:37pm Rabscuttle guessed room 3 (2 points)

Oct 6th
1:13am Robin guessed room 1, 2, and 3 (6 points)
6:19am Punf guessed room 1 (2 points)
6:41am Punf guessed room 2 (2 points)
8:22am Rabidchild guessed room 1, 2, and 3 (6 points)

So then let’s tally up a leaderboard:
24 points - Averagemoe
10 points - Rabscuttle
6 points - Navithmastero (2012)
6 points - Rabidchild (2006)
6 points - Chaco (2005)
6 points - Robin (2004)
4 points - Punf (2020)
4 points - IQubic (2015)
4 points - Nuntar (2007)
2 points - Illusionist

Averagemoe dominated with a perfect score of 24. If we play this game again, we should give him a handicap. Like he can only guess rooms using his sense of smell. His early guesses on the first two rooms cut a bunch of players out of getting 4-point guesses, but Rabscuttle was able to claw a couple of those, winning him second place.

Chaco and Navithmastero also managed to make a successful guess within 24 hours of Averagemoe. Robin and Rabidchild were slower to guess, but able to correctly guess Room 3. This put them in a 4-way tie for third place, which went to Navithmastero, the relative newcomer to the forum. (Though I stress “relative”, as Navithmastero has been around for 8 years.)

Room 3 seemed to be the only one to give players trouble. And I think we’re a bit lucky that I accidentally gave away the first Room 3 (renamed to “Example Room”), which was not as difficult as its replacement. I do think the new Room 3 was pitched at the right difficulty for the expert solvers on the forum.

Congratulations to the winners! And if anybody needs help identifying a DROD room, you know who to ask now.

-Erik

10-06-2020 at 11:22 PM
averagemoe
ErikH2000 wrote:
Averagemoe dominated with a perfect score of 24. If we play this game again, we should give him a handicap. Like he can only guess rooms using his sense of smell.

Hmm... detecting a strong citrus odor. Must be a room with a lot of gel. And some sort of drink, but one that no sane person would want. Might be a decoy potion nearby. And there's definitely a "bottom floor" sort of scent that I'm glad is being mostly overpowered.

10-07-2020 at 12:03 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Hi Erik,

Did you intend for this to be an official contest, i.e. is the winner eligible for a prize from the Prize Pile?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-07-2020 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Fun contest, and congratulations to the winners!

Yes, we'll treat this as an official contest, where the winner gets a prize from the Prize Pile. (Congratulations, averagemoe!)

I'll be handing out rank point awards to the top three places in the typical style as well.

1st place - 100 rank points:
24 points - Averagemoe

2nd place - 50 rank points:
10 points - Rabscuttle

3rd place - 25 rank points:
6 points - Navithmastero (2012)
6 points - Rabidchild (2006)
6 points - Chaco (2005)
6 points - Robin (2004)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-07-2020 12:38 AM]
10-07-2020 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Where in the Eighth? (Contest rules and discussion.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com