Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : March Madness (Thirty rooms made in March 2020.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (3 votes)
σ 0.00
Author Name:Fogel
Submitted By:Dragon Fogel
Hold Name:March Madness
Theme:Thirty rooms made in March 2020.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:30
Number of Monsters:175
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: March Madness.hold (11.5 KB)
Downloaded 271 times.
License: Other
icon March Madness  
NaDRODArchMo is an irregularly held event where participants spend a month making rooms without worrying too much about quality. The general goal is thirty rooms in a month.

The first draft of this hold was produced during one such event in March 2020. I made some changes since, but the basic idea of each room and most of the structures were assembled in one day each. Overall, I liked it enough that I thought it was worth publishing.

I hope this hold encourages others to try out NaDRODArchMo and see what they come up with.
07-22-2020 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: March Madness (+2)  
As one would expect with a NaDRODArchMo hold, the rooms here are a mix of whatever the architect felt like working with at the time.

The rooms have a mix of difficulty, requiring both figuring out what needs to be done and then also often doing some precise monster manipulation to actually do it.

There are some good ideas here, so it's good that this was published for other people to check out.

Also, this hold reminds me that I really need to step up my own NaDRODArchMo progress. Time to do some architecture.

07-24-2020 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: March Madness (+2)  
There's definitely something to be said for a hold that doesn't strive to be a perfect masterpiece but instead just attempts to have a variety of interesting-ish rooms. I really appreciate that Fogel published the results of a NaDRODArchMo session, something that explicitly does not emphasize worrying too much about quality. The result here is surprisingly fun and playable.

Not all the rooms are gems. There were definitely a couple of rooms that had a few disjoint ideas that didn't really interact much, and maybe a couple of rooms with way too many widgetts. But there were also a lot of rooms that had interesting interactions or fun open-ended exercises. I particularly enjoyed the series of tar double-stab rooms in the 2W column, the super-cool day 30 rock giant room, and the stalwart and slayer room. (Yes, you read that right! I really did enjoy a stalwart room!)

I really hope that more architects take note of this and try to make a just-for-fun hold on the fly without worrying too much about making something great. This was fun to play and I'm glad it got published instead of sitting around as an idea hold waiting to be polished to perfection over the course of several years (which is what I'm typically guilty of doing).

01-19-2021 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : March Madness (Thirty rooms made in March 2020.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com