Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Forgotten Civilization (Remake of TCB and TSS in one)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged

File: The Forgotten Civilization Levels 46 thru 51 added.hold (1.8 MB)
Downloaded 30 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Forgotten Civilization (+3)  
Hello everyone,

For today, I am posting a sequel to Hundred Levels of Horror, a tribute to both TCB and TSS in another hundred levels. Right now, I have only finished levels 1 through 6. I plan on adding more levels in around a couple of weeks however, so if you guys would be interested in playtesting this too that would be great. :)

CHANGELOG:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by azb at 04-24-2023 04:54 PM : 04/24/2023 Update, fixing levels and including new levels]
07-19-2020 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: The Forgotten Civilization (0)  
I added levels 8 through 11 now, which I believe should be slightly more harder than the previous levels. They also introduce more monsters gradually than simple roach and queen combinations.

08-03-2020 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218
icon Re: The Forgotten Civilization (+1)  
Hi, started playing. Got to Training Base, suddenly the difficult spike here is too much, and previous puzzles were not difficult at all. The Entrance, unless i'm missing a better solution, was more than 1k moves as i killed the Slayers using the oremites, quite a nightmare. Now i'm at 1N1E and it seems it's going to be another nightmare. Is there some trick to kill slayers in bunch that i'm missing?
Edit : finished the level, the rest wasn't that difficult, it seems the entrance is too difficult though, imo

[Last edited by KituU at 08-19-2020 09:31 PM]
08-19-2020 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
azb
I didn't intend for you to have to kill the Slayers - you can simply dance around the room, and the majority of the wisps should reach you, causing their owners to line up behind you and the rest of the Slayers not to be much of a threat, allowing you to kill the other monsters.

Please request a demo if the hint doesn't work :)

However, I do notice that some of the rooms have more Slayers than is necessary for the point and probably cause many players' frustrations, so I made sure to tone them down in this update.

I also added levels 12 through 18, which are slightly more tougher than the earlier levels.

[Last edited by azb at 08-20-2020 04:44 PM : Update Note]
08-20-2020 at 04:15 PM
KituU
Rank Points: 218
Some notes as i played:

08-20-2020 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bbb
Rank Points: 215
I went to Abandoned Building before Tech Deck, so the story played out of order.

In Training Base entrance, I killed all the slayers in about 400 moves. You can kill the slayers by jumping towards them from the oremites, or by pushing them onto the oremites, and then stabbing them. It was surprisingly satisfying to solve, after the first impression the room gave.

08-21-2020 at 05:26 AM
azb
Okay, I got all of the issues fixed that KitU posted, and the story/plot breaking technique that bbb posted.

I am thinking for the Slayer killing method that bbb posted, I could perhaps make it a challenge, and have one challenge every five levels like I have one secret room every five levels.

08-21-2020 at 01:20 PM
azb
Hello everyone,

I got levels 19 - 22 added as well. Level 19 does not allow coming back to it without restoring since it is an intermission level, but since there are no secrets or challenges in it that shouldn't be a problem.

10-01-2020 at 01:42 PM
azb
icon Re: The Forgotten Civilization (+2)  
I added levels 23 through 25 just now as well. Although I did not incorporate everything from before those levels, they should be pretty comprehensive.

10-25-2020 at 02:43 PM
azb
icon Re: The Forgotten Civilization (+3)  
I added levels 26 through 30 now. I made it so the story arc in levels 26-30 is very similar to TCB levels 7-8 and Dugandy hub.

11-14-2020 at 03:18 PM
azb
I finished levels 31-34 right now as well. The story arc is very similar to the rest of Dugandy besides the hub, so the castle, New Dungeon, and Guard Barracks. Levels 35-38 will be more similar to River Dugandy.

11-20-2020 at 04:53 PM
azb
I finished levels 35-38 now as well. Levels 39-45 should be released by next month, and will reflect progress similar to TCB Holding Vats like how the section uploaded now reflects River Dugandy.

Sadly, I had to reset my computer again very recently, so the architect/hold ID will be very different from the most recent version before that. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

[Last edited by azb at 12-17-2020 06:45 PM : Note about hold ID]
12-17-2020 at 06:43 PM
bbb
icon Re: The Forgotten Civilization (+3)  

01-10-2021 at 03:59 PM
azb

I will be posting levels 39-42 today with the fixes, because I would like to take things more steadily and also because I think I need permission for a custom NPC tileset from the official TSS hold that I wish to use in level 43.

[Last edited by azb at 01-11-2021 08:48 PM : Correction for accuracy]
01-11-2021 at 08:44 PM
bbb
Responses:

New levels:

[Last edited by bbb at 01-12-2021 09:18 AM]
01-12-2021 at 07:52 AM
azb

[Last edited by azb at 01-13-2021 04:43 PM]
01-13-2021 at 04:38 PM
azb
Would anybody be interested in voice acting for female roles, like the guide or technician/furnace maintainer? I am okay with one person per character, or someone doing multiple characters if they want to.

I don't plan on adding any extra female characters except for one, a Gossip type who will be regulated to the postmastery area once that it is made. Therefore, all the lines that the guide and technician speak will be the only lines they will speak in the entire hold.

[Last edited by azb at 02-05-2021 06:02 PM]
02-05-2021 at 06:01 PM
azb
Hi everyone,

I am not posting any updates officially, because I still want earlier levels tested all the way up to the Final Descent of the Cryogenic Chambers, but I figured because I completed my first draft for all the rounds I can do without voice acting in King Azb's Arena, I would start making rough drafts for the later levels too, so I completed drafts for all three Ascents/the later half of Cryogenic Chambers (expect a lot of Slayers, cause it's based off TCB Holding vats!), as well as for the first room in the western half of the city/Civilization where you enter after getting a name (although I didn't make you enter because you got a name in my plot, but a different more sneaky reason... you'll see when it's published.)

04-12-2023 at 02:52 PM
azb
Okay, never mind. The hold is tested all the way thru the Final Descent already, so I will post the drafts publicly as well. Note as mentioned in the above post, it is intentional that the part past the gate in the western city is only that single small section, with no additional rooms added yet, because I want to do it later after the Ascents have been tested and commented on as well.

04-12-2023 at 02:55 PM
azb
Hello everyone,

I discovered in my Second Ascent entrance room, it was actually impossible to solve and go any further in the hold due to the blocks of 2x2 uncuttable tar strewn around the room, so I corrected that by A: removing some of the obstacles to make the tar easier to cut, and B: adding some mud in the room as well.

I also added levels 46 thru 51, where at this point in the hold you earn your Imperial name/title and try to get the pass to the conference, just like in the original TCB's story, although in mine there are some extra alterations on top of the one mentioned in the above post, like who actually gives you the name changes because there is no Negotiator or naming office in this canon.

04-24-2023 at 04:46 PM
azb
Hi everyone,

I am also adding voices to this hold, as much as I can anyway.

As mentioned above, I cannot do female roles convincingly and so will need someone else's voice talent,

But on top of that, I cannot do the Slayer voices here cause they have to sound different than the Hundred Levels Slayers, just like 39th vs normal Slayers in TCB, and I think I cannot do the Creator/Slayer maker boss appearing later on in the hold, cause I can't do a menacing hoarse voice that accurately. I also can't do the gate keeper for named citizens in the western city, cause I can't do a British accent perfectly.

I can still do Beethro, the golems and goblins, and the guards and Roach Breeder guy you meet at the beginning though, cause the Roach Breeder I am thinking will have a nasal/Squidward like voice, and the other roles will sound exactly like how I did them for Hundred Levels of Horror, cause they sound the same in JtRH vs TCB.

04-24-2023 at 05:46 PM
azb
Hello everyone,

I also added all the levels up to 100 already in the editor, but will keep them as blank 1 room level templates and not work on them like I normally do for levels I don't want to do until earlier ones are tested thoroughly,

But I just did that because I know this particular hold's plot is more complicated as a combination of two stories at once, instead of just retelling one story, and it has a lot of its own new elements on top of that.

In particular, I want it to mimic levels 15 thru 18 of TCB per usual, but instead of just doing level 17 normally you have to go through a lot of sub levels between 16 and 17 to unlock 17, like a GaTEB style hub.

After that, it will be similar to TCB ending (levels 23 and 24), and then after that TSS's story (starting at the Turning/world end, then do the time travel sequence between multiple places and times), although in my story you discover the Architects'/Patron's secret about "monitoring" the surfacers and recuse them yourself before you race the Creator/1st Archivist to the center of the world to stop the Turning from happening too early, whereas in the main TSS story it's the other way around.

After that, it will be the normal TSS ending where you conquer the first level that started the whole adventure (from King Dugan's Dungeon in the main story here, in Hundred Levels of Horror here) in a much more difficult form.

04-24-2023 at 09:05 PM
azb
Hello everyone,

I finished drafts of all the levels up to level 74, which mimics TCB Upper Lowest with level 73, but I know to not post any new levels publicly until all the existing ones are tested thoroughly, per usual.

05-04-2023 at 04:22 PM
azb
I also finished the drafts of level 75 and 76, which mimic TCB finale/ending (Lowest Proper plus Lowest Point) plot wise, but use TSS elements, non-sword weapons being the most prominent.

05-05-2023 at 01:40 PM
azb
I finished the drafts for levels 77 thru 81 as well now, which mimic the beginning of the portal sequence in TSS before you reach EotS and TRF, so levels 15 thru 17 more specifically out of 30.

Levels 82 thru 83 will just be an extension of level 81 (the overall theme being introducing puffs and fluff), level 84 will be like level 18/TA and introduce Rock Giants, level 85 will be just like EoTS, level 86 will be just like TRF/level 20, levels 87 and 88 will be more like TCB level 22/Abyssian Fortress, levels 89 thru 94 will be like the rescue sequence you perform on the side near the end of TSS, levels 95 thru 98 will be like TSS Sun Island where you meet you know who, the main deity of the world, and finally levels 99 and 100 will mimic TSS' ending.

05-26-2023 at 12:38 PM
azb
Okay everyone,

I finished drafts for levels 82 thru 85 as well. Does anyone have any comments on levels 45 thru 51 that are available for testing right now?

05-29-2023 at 12:22 PM
azb

File: TTF Weirdness.hold (24.8 KB)
Downloaded 2 times.
License: Public Domain
Hi everyone,

As I worked on my draft for level 86, I noticed that the script doesn't seem to work exactly the way it should.

In particular, even though I told the script very explicitly to check if the player is nearby before letting the player use the resonator/TTF, the player can switch back to the normal/unaltered state anywhere in the room they want, even though the script works correctly for switching to the altered state.

Does anybody know why this is, as I made sure very clearly to tell the script something like "If the player is not within the range, set can use resonator to 0",

and "if can use resonator equals 1, switch, otherwise go back to the loop and do nothing"

Is it maybe something I did wrong with the loop itself I am unaware of?

05-29-2023 at 11:21 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
Your script checks whether the player is near the resonator. If they are, the variable is set to 1 and the script then waits until Special Command is used.

While the script is waiting, the player may have moved away from the resonator, but the script won't notice this because it only tests at the start of each script loop.

06-10-2023 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Okay, I guessed it was probably something like that, like a problem with the loop itself. Do you know of a good workaround, to test using one and only one wait for multiple conditions, as opposed to multiple "wait"s with one conditional each?

06-12-2023 at 07:29 PM
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
Off of context, without seeing your script/intent for myself, it seems like what you want is to have an "every turn loop" that first does an if...wait for input special command (doing nothing this turn if that fails), and then checks for the desired condition (the resonator being close). I'm not exactly sure what a "wait for multiple conditions" is; in general each condition has to be in its own "wait for" command in DRODscript as far as I'm aware.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-13-2023 04:05 AM]
06-13-2023 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Forgotten Civilization (Remake of TCB and TSS in one)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com