Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : My headcanons
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
IP: Logged
icon My headcanons (+4)  
I started contributing to the DROD Wiki. Here's a list of the utterly unsubstantiated changes I made to the lore so far:

• The distance between the bottom and top surfaces of the Eighth could be thousands if not millions of miles apart. is "more in line with the distance to the Moon" (source), so I figure hundreds of thousands of miles.
• The seasons change because where the sun hovers gets farther and farther from the Eighth. When Onsuary 1st rolls around, the sun hovers very close to the Eighth. This sudden shift in temperature is what causes the Onsuary floods. (I think I've come up with a better explanation for the seasons, but it's completely different from the wiki, so I won't edit it in. I'm happy to discuss it here, though.)
• TSS takes place in approximately in 150 BD. (There are no dates given after JtRH: source, which is in early 148. I chose 150 because it's a nice round number, but I see the arguments for 149 or 151.)
Benedat was a scholar from Mellenfral. (He is given no last name or place of origin: source.) Benedat was a scholar. I will not speculate on his hometown.
Gondola wasps are the size of a fist but are completely harmless to humans. (They're not given an official size, but since they haven't been made into a monster yet, it can't be big enough to kill people.) Gondola wasps are a common wasp. I won't speculate on size or aggressiveness beyond the fact that they aren't dungeon monsters.
Skriil prefer living in the Smuggler's Maze because unlike the rest of Rasarus, it's damp and foggy and the shoreline is barely above sea level. (No reason was given for why they live in the Maze. I came up with one.) Skriil prefer living in the Smuggler's Maze, but I won't speculate on why.
• Turnings are exactly 10000 years apart. Since a turning happens in the current year, and the current year is also 150 B.D., this means Benedat's calendar was made in 9850 A.T.

I'll update this list as I edit the wiki.

If any of these changes seem wrong, or if I'm overstepping my bounds, please let me know so I can stop. I don't want to make anything worse. :)

EDITS: My removed pseudocanon has the strikethrough tag.

[Last edited by Kaelyn at 07-09-2020 03:47 PM]
07-05-2020 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: My headcanons (+2)  
Kaelyn wrote:
I started contributing to the DROD Wiki. Here's a list of the utterly unsubstantiated changes I made to the lore so far:
It's a good list of ideas, and I enjoyed reading them. You've done a fine job of researching previous content and expanding beyond.

The trouble is that Caravel policy has been for a while that canon can only be advanced in the official releases. So if you get ahead of the releases in your invention, you can create something interesting, but not expand the canon. It's similar to fanfic.

In the JtRH days, we started world-building past what we needed for the game, but gave up on doing that. It is hard to keep all the canon straight as you write the game. The larger it gets, the more trouble there is. So from that lesson, we made an "invent as needed" policy.

If you were very intent on expanding canon, you might consider declaring a second scope, e.g. Kaelyn's Canon. The Bible has an Old and New Testament, after all. And in the future, DROD scholars can bicker about whether your expanded canon should be taken seriously. The neo-canonites will say the DROD world is more enjoyable and understandable with your additions. And the conservatives will cry blasphemy.

I'm always on the side of people that create new things. So don't worry about me.

-Erik

07-05-2020 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
icon Re: My headcanons (+1)  
Thank you for your response, Mr. Hermansen! :)

Since I'm not an official loremaster, nor will I be contributing to any official releases soon, I won't try to push my ideas as canon. And since the DROD Wiki is meant for real information, I've taken out any changes to the lore that aren't minor flavor or logically follow from other sources. I will try to support every claim with citations to official sources.

On an unrelated note, is there anything that mentions the list of voice actors and what roles they played? I want to mention credit in the character pages, but I can't find specific details.
07-05-2020 at 05:41 PM
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
The endgame credits often list out the voice actors, at least for the major roles.

07-05-2020 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: My headcanons (+2)  
Kaelyn wrote:
On an unrelated note, is there anything that mentions the list of voice actors and what roles they played? I want to mention credit in the character pages, but I can't find specific details.
It would be excellent for someone (you? awesome!) to get a cast credits put together. The trouble with the official credits is they are in the end game instead of a web page. And I think they don't say which actor played which part. It will get harder to to figure this out as time goes by.

You can find credits for the games in source code: https://github.com/EvidentlyCube/drod/tree/master/Texts

Note: At the request of the actor, the name "Tyler Downing" should be replaced with "Alyssa Downing".

My suggestion would be to get a list of all the characters and start plugging in actors' names for each character. Some characters are played by more than one person in different titles. And we can work together on the forum using different people's memories to fill in the hard ones.

-Erik

07-08-2020 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
ErikH2000 wrote:
And I think they don't say which actor played which part. It will get harder to to figure this out as time goes by.
Hmm. After reading the end game source, I see I was wrong about this. The end game credits seem to be mostly complete. I still see value in getting them on a wiki or web page somewhere.

I must be an Archivist.

-Erik

07-08-2020 at 06:50 PM
Dragomir7
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: My headcanons (0)  
I've been helping out too.

The most significant of which is having an overall Navbox (something like a navigational template) that links to all the game releases, holds, places, main characters and main game elements. I've added this to as many relevant pages, so it would be easy to track existing articles and add new ones in these areas.

Though it seems only me and Kaelyn are active at the moment, certainly hope to see more activity around! ~~

[Last edited by Dragomir7 at 03-29-2021 07:49 AM]
03-29-2021 at 07:47 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 187
icon Re: My headcanons (+3)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Hmm. After reading the end game source, I see I was wrong about this. The end game credits seem to be mostly complete. I still see value in getting them on a wiki or web page somewhere.
Yesterday I saw the JtRH credits for the first time, and "mostly complete" is accurate (for one guy you said if a role isn't listed here, he probably did it).

I did want to ask about KDD credits, since 2.0 only names the people who made changes to that version. Does AE have the rest of the credits?
03-29-2021 at 12:54 PM
ErikH2000
Kalin wrote:
I did want to ask about KDD credits, since 2.0 only names the people who made changes to that version. Does AE have the rest of the credits?
Super-late reply, sorry.

Yes, AE has got credits. I think they show up in both the help files and end game sequence.

-Erik

04-14-2021 at 05:23 PM
Dragomir7
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: My headcanons (0)  
I got a draft of the Timeline up on the Wiki! ;)

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of the Smitemaster's Selections so ... can anyone here lend a hand on those sections?
06-05-2021 at 06:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : My headcanons
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No